First world prices with third world wages’: Filipinos compare grocery prices between Singapore and Manila

4 minutes ago, KID said:

Veterans day sale here in the local store in Kansas City advertises a 3lb bag of yellow sweet onions for  $3.49USD

I know of an ice cream vendor who gave them for free.

• Haha 1
Just now, Edwin said:

I know of an ice cream vendor who gave them for free.

Your memory is fading because they were actually half rotten onions :ROFLMAO:

• Haha 1
Chris24
13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

In Tuburan I pay 210 peso for 30 large eggs, or 220 peso for 30 jumbo..  That's about US$1.50 a dozen.. 

FAR FAR less than first world price.

Yep, I bought eggs last week at Costco here in the U.S. and paid approx. $14 for a box of 5 dozen, so about $2.80 per dozen or almost double that cost.  And I suspect the quality is most likely inferior due to mass farming/poor feed here. 

In my opinion though bananas at Costco are unbelievable cheap, especially considering the logistics of getting them to market.  Last month I paid $1.59 for a 3 lb. bundle.  

That said, last month during my visit to Cebu I shopped mostly at Metro supermarket in Ayala, and it felt like food prices (for local brands vs. imported) were generally lower than what I pay for the rough equivalent in the US, especially for fresh produce. But that is just based on the total that I paid at checkout rather than an item-by-item comparison.  

I also noticed the gasoline and diesel are markedly more expensive in the Philippines, and noticed the same (but even more so) in Europe earlier this year.  But some of that might be due to the dollar exchange rate.  

With food prices having skyrocketed this year, my family is switching to less expensive substitutes on some items, and also eating out a lot less.   Even fast food is crazy expensive now compared to just two years ago. 

50 minutes ago, Chris24 said:

$14 for a box of 5 dozen

Damn, how big is your family? thatwould last my family of 4 a month

Chris24
37 minutes ago, KID said:

Damn, how big is your family? that would last my family of 4 a month

Hmmm, let's just say it was for Halloween......

But seriously the "best by" date was mid-December so we actually do have over a month to use them.  There are five in my household now that my mother-in-law has moved back to her province.  We normally go through an 18-pack in about a week, between hard boiled eggs for snacks and the kids' lunches, salads, garlic fried rice with egg, and fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast.  We also have a small dog that sometimes gets scrambled eggs mixed in with his other food.  I had an 18-pack on my list, but when comparing prices I could get 60 for just a few dollars more, and figured we would go through them.  That of course is the danger of shopping at warehouse stores, you go with a list but come home with a 55-gallon drum of ketchup, etc. 

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Chris24 said:

I bought eggs last week at Costco here in the U.S. and paid approx. $14 for a box of 5 dozen

You may have seen that I posted a pic of those same eggs at $8.79 for a box of 5 dozen but, for full disclosure, the pic I posted was from 2021 and comes from the Garden Grove, California location.

So either you are getting gouged for your eggs or price of eggs has skyrocketed in a year.

42 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

You may have seen that I posted a pic of those same eggs at $8.79 for a box of 5 dozen but, for full disclosure, the pic I posted was from 2021 and comes from the Garden Grove, California location.

So either you are getting gouged for your eggs or price of eggs has skyrocketed in a year.

The price of eggs has skyrocketed. Two years ago or less I was paying $1.65/doz for jumbo eggs. Now they are $5.35 at the same store (Publix).

• Like 1
Chris24
23 minutes ago, Edwin said:

The price of eggs has skyrocketed. Two years ago or less I was paying $1.65/doz for jumbo eggs. Now they are $5.35 at the same store (Publix).

I think that between inflation and higher fuel prices (increases the cost of feed and transport), the price truly has increased by that much.  I'm seeing much higher food prices for sure, even on domestically produced items.  And some imported foods have increased by a lot more. 

Ozepete
18 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I think it's a worldwide Phenomenon..  productive land getting bought up by the rich

Or covered with solar panels!!!!! :thumbs_down:

According to MarketWatch, a significant reason that eggs are more expensive is due to the avian flu. “The price of eggs has been trending upward since the beginning of 2022, and egg experts said an avian influenza outbreak that has severely limited the supply of eggs was the leading cause of high prices.”:hi:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
17 hours ago, Edwin said:

That's what happens when you live in one of those upscale cities.

I only live about 100 miles from you an I pay $2.56/doz for extra large.