First world prices with third world wages’: Filipinos compare grocery prices between Singapore and Manila

softail

Another day, another cost of living debate. It’s no secret that Filipino shoppers have been bearing the brunt of inflation rates this year, coupled with staple goods shortages, that have led to increases in market prices.

To illustrate just how dire the situation has gotten, a number of Filipinos have begun comparing the prices of goods in supermarkets abroad versus those at home. One post on Reddit, in particular, said that one can purchase more with PHP650 (US$13) in Singapore than in Manila and showed receipts — literally.

“You know your country’s screwed when Php650 can get you this in a first world country,” user u/freesink wrote next to a photo of a grocery haul that included a carton of eggs, bananas, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, a bag of calamansi, onions, and a loaf of bread.

Meanwhile, to compare, a kilo of cabbage and carrots each cost PHP100 (US$2)  and PHP120 (US$2.4), respectively, according to the Department of Agriculture.

The user went on to directly compare prices between Singapore’s FairPrice supermarket and the local SM Supermarket: 700 grams of red onion cost SGD1.25 (PHP51.79 or US$0.91) in Singapore, while in the Philippines it could cost PHP168 (US$3.36).

500 grams of carrots in Singapore cost SGD0.95 (PHP39.36 or US$0.69), while locally, it would set you back at PHP62.5 (US$1.25).

This clearly shocked a lot of Filipinos online.

“Holy shit! The prices in the Philippines are more expensive, but the base salary is incredibly low compared to Singapore,” one said.

“Funny how fresh produce seem to be more expensive here where they can be grown locally than in SG where they are probably imported,” another said.

“First world prices with a third world income,” a user lamented.

As shocking as this may seem, this is not the first time someone has pointed out the egregious cost of living in Manila. Academic Renee Karunungan Edwards also went viral in October as she compared prices between United Kingdom-based grocery retailer Aldi and SM Supermarket amid reports of extremely high onion prices, stating that a kilo of onion in the UK was at GBP0.50 or PHP32.76, while in Manila it was being sold for PHP136.

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/first-world-prices-third-world-084256056.html

• Like 1
10 hours ago, softail said:

Another day, another cost of living debate. It’s no secret that Filipino shoppers have been bearing the brunt of inflation rates this year, coupled with staple goods shortages, that have led to increases in market prices.

To illustrate just how dire the situation has gotten, a number of Filipinos have begun comparing the prices of goods in supermarkets abroad versus those at home. One post on Reddit, in particular, said that one can purchase more with PHP650 (US$13) in Singapore than in Manila and showed receipts — literally.

“You know your country’s screwed when Php650 can get you this in a first world country,” user u/freesink wrote next to a photo of a grocery haul that included a carton of eggs, bananas, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, a bag of calamansi, onions, and a loaf of bread.

Meanwhile, to compare, a kilo of cabbage and carrots each cost PHP100 (US$2)  and PHP120 (US$2.4), respectively, according to the Department of Agriculture.

The user went on to directly compare prices between Singapore’s FairPrice supermarket and the local SM Supermarket: 700 grams of red onion cost SGD1.25 (PHP51.79 or US$0.91) in Singapore, while in the Philippines it could cost PHP168 (US$3.36).

500 grams of carrots in Singapore cost SGD0.95 (PHP39.36 or US$0.69), while locally, it would set you back at PHP62.5 (US$1.25).

This clearly shocked a lot of Filipinos online.

“Holy shit! The prices in the Philippines are more expensive, but the base salary is incredibly low compared to Singapore,” one said.

“Funny how fresh produce seem to be more expensive here where they can be grown locally than in SG where they are probably imported,” another said.

“First world prices with a third world income,” a user lamented.

As shocking as this may seem, this is not the first time someone has pointed out the egregious cost of living in Manila. Academic Renee Karunungan Edwards also went viral in October as she compared prices between United Kingdom-based grocery retailer Aldi and SM Supermarket amid reports of extremely high onion prices, stating that a kilo of onion in the UK was at GBP0.50 or PHP32.76, while in Manila it was being sold for PHP136.

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/first-world-prices-third-world-084256056.html

The 'market' in the philippines is, unlike ...many other places, has prices controlled and directed by ''Traders''  get rid of them and improve farm to market road links and the prices will fall. In addition cost of transport is far higher in the UK and Singapore. The uk have a minimum wage that is higher than that of makati let alone places in Mindanao

The president has taken over the agri portfolio will, he have the political will to ensure that Traders are sidelined by encouraging large supermarkets here to buy direct  form both overseas and at home without customs penalty or Traders holding the ''market'' hostage to them making their  fortunes.

Edited by MickyG

Cost of living here is subject to many factors. Logistical infrastructure is one of the prime reasons, along with geography, and lack of real competition .

Importation of oil has had a dramatic effect on farm production and distribution (non-connected terrible road system). Not sure of actual logistics - Import to Cebu, truck to warehouse, ship via RORO to Tagbilaran, warehouse, truck to Tubigon, warehouse?, truck to Inaganga, Sari Sari owner buys in Inabanga. 

There isn't that much truly arable land (non-mountinious, available for large scale farm production, more economical) and the local produce (carrot) quality is typically poor.

The way food is obtained here is another. The more fingers in the pie the more each slice costs and the mere fact of getting to the food is a hassle. The map I've attached shows Rockford. Notice the concentration of pure food stores (Sam's, Costco, Target not included). The distance from Woodman's to Midtown is only 7 KM (15 min in rush hour) . BUT, farther away from I90 / State the more expensive the food becomes. Even more so outside of the city. BTW - 500 grams of carrots in Rockford = $0.89 = PHP51

Singapore is a very compact area with the infrastructure to accommodate the population thus lower prices?

And finally - real competition - went shopping for more building supplies in Tagbilaran (here - no stock sir), 9 hours / 5 stores.  Same PPR cutter, P589 at DIY, P967 at Wilcon. The lack of viable competition (providers / location) allows the stores to charge whatever they want along with not being able to obtain prices via phone .

image.png.8afe94930d80a35a9e033287a37d6291.png

to_dave007

I wonder how many Pinoy would buy their red onions in the SM Supermarket.  None that I know.  Me neither.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Singapore has a very productive and efficient Malaysia eager to supply hungry Singaporeans.     And regarding the high prices here.. its no wonder that  illegal Chinese imports can be sold here at  large profit making it a worthwhile business even if illegal.

to_dave007

In Tuburan I pay 210 peso for 30 large eggs, or 220 peso for 30 jumbo..  That's about US$1.50 a dozen.. 

FAR FAR less than first world price.

• Like 4
DeedleNuts

Compared to Simpletown, OR, USA, living in a relatively fancy Taguig condo is massively less expensive by a wide margin. That's not even considering one is a town with population barely in 5 digits and the other is a major metropolitan area.

4 hours ago, MickyG said:

The 'market' in the philippines is, unlike ...many other places, has prices controlled and directed by ''Traders''  get rid of them and improve farm to market road links and the prices will fall. 

The farm to market roads actually reduced the production of vegetables in our area. 
Land prices increased tenfold and the owners sold of their land to rich Manila folks. In our Barangay we now have 6 private resorts covering 22 hectares. These lands used to be farmed not that long ago. 

to_dave007

I think it's a worldwide Phenomenon..  productive land getting bought up by the rich

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

In Tuburan I pay 210 peso for 30 large eggs, or 220 peso for 30 jumbo..  That's about US$1.50 a dozen.. 

FAR FAR less than first world price.

Actually, that's pretty close to Costco price in USA.  US$1.75 a dozen when bought in 60 packs.

image.png.3af334a19a94945a609fde698a4f88d1.png

• Like 1

A kilo of onions purple or yellow in our region of Laguna (Luzon) run 250 pesos at the market and closer to 400 pesos in the major chained grocery stores.  I still buy onions but also stalked up on powdered onion and the garlic granules.

to_dave007

It's also not all about price.  We grow these green onions (and pechay.. and much more) out back of the house..  and it's nice to clip some.. and cook up an omelette with green onions that were alive 10 minutes ago.  It's a joy that not many other than a farmer or gardener could understand.

DSCN3671sm.jpg.71edd86a4d161c31fe26b178796c2dd8.jpg

• Like 4
DeedleNuts

There's a lot more to CoL than buying groceries. I **wish** my other bills would shrink until that was not true but I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by DeedleNuts
  • Like 1
to_dave007
36 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

There's a lot more to CoL than buying groceries. 

Ain't that the truth..  Buddy of mine putting 4 kids through high school and post secondary..  and I got three to get through (Hope the value of my retirement savings holds up) .  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

A kilo of onions purple or yellow in our region of Laguna (Luzon) run 250 pesos at the market and closer to 400 pesos in the major chained grocery stores.  I still buy onions but also stalked up on powdered onion and the garlic granules.

Veterans day SALE here in the local store in Kansas City advertises a 3lb bag of yellow sweet onions for  $3.49USD

Edited by KID
  • Like 1