Useful to have a foreign sim card here

HappyinPH

Don't know if this will help anyone, but out here in the Province, Smart, Globe and other providers are not entirely reliable. But if you have a sim card from your home country, you may find that you can check your emails via roaming when the local providers are not working. This was particularly important to me during the typhoon, when I couldn't read my emails for a couple of days in spite of trying a variety of local sim cards. Local Smart didn't work, but my UK sim card (Vodafone) did! And even though you're roaming, it costs very little to read emails and send short replies. Vodafone says it goes via Smart but it must be Smart in Manila or somewhere else (don't understand the technicalities) because it's happened a couple of times since: local Smart is down but Vodafone Smart is ok. "Three" goes via Globe, by the way, and I don't know how successful that is, because I'm quite happy with Vodafone.

• Thanks 1
Paddy

Although it does seem counter intuitive, my Canadian cell phone often gets better connectivity than my Globe Post Paid phone. It will also connect to any available network here. However, roaming in the Philippines is considerably more expensive than the US or UK for my Canadian provider (Rogers). For that reason I only use it when absolutely necessary.

DeedleNuts

When I renew, I might go w/ Google Fi instead of my current provider, but ... if T-Mobile's recent deal w/ Starlink pans out all bets are off. Might have to go back to those guys. 

to_dave007
On 8/27/2022 at 7:37 AM, HappyinPH said:

Don't know if this will help anyone, but out here in the Province, Smart, Globe and other providers are not entirely reliable. 

Lol..  "not entirely reliable"..  This is such an understatement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1