kidnapping rumours

HappyinPH

Those of you who don't have children may not have noticed, but a lot of parents are worried about the stories of children being kidnapped that have been circulating on social media, even though the police have emphasised that they are false. Some of the stories are so patently ridiculous (to us), such as the person driving a white van in Lilo-an who managed to kidnap five children and is going to sell their kidneys abroad, but still people believe them and pass them on, probably adding a few gruesome details as they do.

There are noticeably more parents accompanying their children to school in Carmen and Danao than there were before.

Is there anything that can be done about this kind of thing, given that people are more interested in reading gossip than statements by the police?

Edwin
11 hours ago, HappyinPH said:

Is there anything that can be done about this kind of thing, given that people are more interested in reading gossip than statements by the police?

No. Emotions rule all over the world. Common sense isn't that common. Facebook makes it worse.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man
12 minutes ago, HappyinPH said:

Is there anything that can be done about this kind of thing

Ahhh yes.  The old foreigners in a white van schtick.  That gossip has been going on so long that it has become a fact.  No one knows how it started but most believe it.

HappyinPH
5 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Ahhh yes.  The old foreigners in a white van schtick.  That gossip has been going on so long that it has become a fact.  No one knows how it started but most believe it.

And it also seems to be international. Once when I was visiting my parents in a medium-sized English town with my children from my first marriage, my mother warned me about someone kidnapping children from an unmarked white van, and was a bit worried because there was just such a van parked near their house. This was of course long before social media, I don't know where she got the story from. Later when I walked around town I noticed a number of unmarked white vans and came to the conclusion that they were actually quite common, rather than imagining that the organ sellers or the pedo crowd had come to town. 

HappyinPH
9 hours ago, Edwin said:

No. Emotions rule all over the world. Common sense isn't that common. Facebook makes it worse.

Even if Facebook and other social media that spread gossip were banned, where would you find reliable news these days? The only reason the MSM don't report stuff about white vans is because it's not relevant to the agenda(s) they peddle. But if something newsworthy but unsubstantiated happened in a country where they do have a clear agenda, it might well be a different story.