tomato plants

sj124

what can i use pls to keep the insects away from my tomato plants and will the bitten leaves grow new leaves? thank you very much

to_dave007

In my efforts to grow tomato in Cebu (near sea level in tuburan)..  insects have not normally been the problem.  Low cebu soil fertility, high temperatures and harsh sun have been a bigger issue.

Of course.. I'm using the tough skinned Cebu tomato variants.

• Like 1
SkyMan

I've been told the problem is a lack of a cold night which is why the mountain areas have some success. 

• Like 1
to_dave007
33 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I've been told the problem is a lack of a cold night which is why the mountain areas have some success. 

Overall.. I think this is correct.  I have been "moderately" successful..  meaning we do get some tomato now..  and they actualy taste good.  but nothing like i would have got in Toronto.. whether measured in terms of yield, varieties that I can grow, size of tomato, and "eat it like an apple" juicy taste.  Still..  I couldn't grow pineapple in Toronto..  and i grew the BEST pinapple I ever had in Cebu..  so..  it's ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
SkyMan

One veg I would think would do well in Cebu is artichokes but I've never seen them. Anyone tried?

• Like 1
sj124

thank you for the info everybody

to_dave007
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

One veg I would think would do well in Cebu is artichokes but I've never seen them. Anyone tried?

why you think they would do well?

limestone based soil is VERY alkaline...  does it thrive in alkaline soils?

SkyMan
On 8/1/2022 at 7:28 AM, to_dave007 said:

why you think they would do well?

limestone based soil is VERY alkaline...  does it thrive in alkaline soils?

https://thehabitat.com/garden/growing-your-own-alluring-artichoke-plant/3/

Soil and Nutrients

Artichokes need to be planted in soil that drains well because they requiring frequent watering, but their roots are susceptible to rot if they are kept in soggy soil. A sandy, fertile soil, that is on the alkaline end of the pH scale is ideal for artichokes. During your plant's growing season, apply a plant-based fertilizer to its base once every couple of weeks.

• Like 1