Converting U.S. Drivers License

Jawny
On 5/31/2022 at 8:44 PM, Paddy said:

https://lto.gov.ph/license-and-permit.html#conversion-of-foreign-driver-s-license-to-philippine-driver-s-license-including-renewal-of-expired-philippine-driver-s-license-with-a-valid-foreign-driver-s-license

lto.gov.ph is the LTO web site. Generally it has complete and up-to-date requirements for the various license related transactions.

Recently, LTO became quite hot on testing - even for renewals etc. If you look at the link above, you can see a test (online multiple choice) pass is required now for a conversion. That link also says it’s a 120 day visa validity - and that is a change from the one year validity previously.

We all know that different government offices of the same branch can have different processes, so the best way to find out is to go ask the official LTO person at the reception/door of your office of choice. That can include whether you need an appointment or not (not here in Masbate - but there’s no elevated Covid alert level here).

Regarding the test. You’ll need an LTO Portal account (it’s an easy sign up). The Portal does have review information but you can also find practice tests (in English) here:

https://www.pinoydriver.com/reviewer/english/

Very helpful and comprehensive info. I found the pinoydriver exam enlightening. 

curious if you know what the passing score is for the official LTO exam for a nonprofessional license is?

the study guide is two volumes and hundreds of pages  

KeninCebu
Posted (edited)

Update on DOT. Apparently Mandaue is the only place to do a foreign conversion right now. I got bounced around from Fuente to Seaside first. Have to go in person, get an appointment, and then come back a few days later. I was told no test for valid U.S. license conversion but I'm not convinced. Did not know my blood type. Had to have that checked. 

Edited by KeninCebu
Paddy
19 hours ago, Jawny said:

curious if you know what the passing score is for the official LTO exam for a nonprofessional license is?

I believe it’s 30 correct out of 40 - ie 75%

My certificate says I scored 80% - 32 correct out of 40.

With years of driving in other jurisdictions, a lot of the questions can be answered without study. However, if you want a better score, you should study “specific to Philippines” law and driving practice items. Things like penalties for specific infractions etc. 

• Like 1
lamoe
8 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

Update on DOT. Apparently Mandaue is the only place to do a foreign conversion right now. I got bounced around from Fuente to Seaside first. Have to go in person, get an appointment, and then come back a few days later. I was told no test for valid U.S. license conversion but I'm not convinced. Did not know my blood type. Had to have that checked. 

If not too far the LTO 7 office near E mall may help. I've used them several times and very helpful.

image.thumb.png.f05cd6edde283ca7724e855c1974c5e8.png

SkyMan
8 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

There didn't used to be a test for conversion but who knows now. 

Paddy
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

There didn't used to be a test for conversion but who knows now. 

It’s probable that there is no test for a conversion. However, they test for everything else including renewals…