Converting U.S. Drivers License

KeninCebu

I have been in the Philippines for five months as of the 4th of June. I am here in Cebu. I want to convert my CA license to the Philippines license for several reasons including that I've been here more than the 90 days to drive on my US license. I have both the motorcycle and motor vehicle endorsements from CA and want both of them here in the Philippines. Can anyone please point me towards finding accurate information on what I need to do, bring, and where to do these things? I see contradictory things on the internet and am confused. Thanks!

Germanwings
I have been in the Philippines for five months as of the 4th of June. I am here in Cebu. I want to convert my CA license to the Philippines license for several reasons including that I've been here more than the 90 days to drive on my US license. I have both the motorcycle and motor vehicle endorsements from CA and want both of them here in the Philippines. Can anyone please point me towards finding accurate information on what I need to do, bring, and where to do these things? I see contradictory things on the internet and am confused. Thanks!
Non-Professional, Foreigner with valid foreign license

Properly Accomplished Application for Driver’s License

Medical Certificate issued by an LTO Accredited Physician

Original and Photocopy of Passport

Photocopy of Passport with entry at least one month and visa duration of at least one year from date of application

Photocopy of Foreign License (in English)

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

KeninCebu

There are news reports of needing an appointment to go to LTO, but I can't confirm this. I am having trouble finding the right LTO website. To see where to go, if an appointment is needed, where to find the accredited physicians. I have also been told (at the visa office) that I might have to be here six months before I could get the license but have otherwise not been able to confirm this. 

Germanwings
There are news reports of needing an appointment to go to LTO, but I can't confirm this. I am having trouble finding the right LTO website. To see where to go, if an appointment is needed, where to find the accredited physicians. I have also been told (at the visa office) that I might have to be here six months before I could get the license but have otherwise not been able to confirm this. 
I suggest you just go there wihout an appoinment. If you are lucky there might be an "agent" waiting outside LTO who can speed up things. Happened in my case years ago. Was not too expensive. Welcome to the Philippines.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

KeninCebu

I'm hoping someone has gone recently - covid - who can help me sort this out. I definitely don't want to go before I've gotten the health clearance. 

Jeepney
4 hours ago, Germanwings said:

Non-Professional, Foreigner with valid foreign license

Properly Accomplished Application for Driver’s License

Medical Certificate issued by an LTO Accredited Physician

Original and Photocopy of Passport

Photocopy of Passport with entry at least one month and visa duration of at least one year from date of application

Photocopy of Foreign License (in English)

Gesendet von meinem 

Missing the ACR card on that list!

Just renewed my converted DL , valid for 10 years now.

No pain..medical, need to do online test, or pay 600 for other to do it... no urine test.

Costs was 400 medical, 580 DL. My total 980php, 20 minutes medical, 20 minutes in mall DL lto office.

To the topic starter: just go to LTO in mall, or where ever, ask them to make you happy :) they will.

I mean, just ask them the requirements.

• Thanks 1
Paddy

https://lto.gov.ph/license-and-permit.html#conversion-of-foreign-driver-s-license-to-philippine-driver-s-license-including-renewal-of-expired-philippine-driver-s-license-with-a-valid-foreign-driver-s-license

lto.gov.ph is the LTO web site. Generally it has complete and up-to-date requirements for the various license related transactions.

Recently, LTO became quite hot on testing - even for renewals etc. If you look at the link above, you can see a test (online multiple choice) pass is required now for a conversion. That link also says it’s a 120 day visa validity - and that is a change from the one year validity previously.

We all know that different government offices of the same branch can have different processes, so the best way to find out is to go ask the official LTO person at the reception/door of your office of choice. That can include whether you need an appointment or not (not here in Masbate - but there’s no elevated Covid alert level here).

Regarding the test. You’ll need an LTO Portal account (it’s an easy sign up). The Portal does have review information but you can also find practice tests (in English) here:

https://www.pinoydriver.com/reviewer/english/

• Thanks 2
to_dave007
11 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

I'm hoping someone has gone recently - covid - who can help me sort this out. I definitely don't want to go before I've gotten the health clearance. 

what health clearance?  If you refer to the medical that's required for your license.. there will likely be a medical office right beside the LTO where you can get it done.  Eye examination and a list of questions.. not a full medical

• Like 3
SkyMan
Posted (edited)

I don't think you need an ACR-I card but you do (did) need to show 6 months yet in the RP so if you're on a tourist visa, go do a 6 month extension. You can do the medical, etc. At the LTO. I suggest going to Seaside Mall if that's convenient. 

When you fill out the app make sure you check off motorcycle and MT car.

Edited by SkyMan
KeninCebu
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I don't think you need an ACR-I card but you do (did) need to show 6 months yet in the RP so if you're on a tourist visa, go do a 6 month extension. You can do the medical, etc. At the LTO. I suggest going to Seaside Mall if that's convenient. 

When you fill out the app make sure you check off motorcycle and MT car.

I'm in the cebu business park. Is it worth driving to seaside for this? Is there a medical office next to Seaside? Do you go into the LOT first and then go for the medical?

• Like 1
KeninCebu
18 hours ago, Jeepney said:

Missing the ACR card on that list!

Just renewed my converted DL , valid for 10 years now.

No pain..medical, need to do online test, or pay 600 for other to do it... no urine test.

Costs was 400 medical, 580 DL. My total 980php, 20 minutes medical, 20 minutes in mall DL lto office.

To the topic starter: just go to LTO in mall, or where ever, ask them to make you happy :) they will.

I mean, just ask them the requirements.

Thanks everyone for this information. I don't think that a test is required so long as the conversion license is valid, given my reading of the website, but I am still confused about a couple of things.

1) will the medical be provided there at LTO? If not where should I go.

2) Is an appointment needed? I can't see how to set an appointment. 

Thanks,

Ken

• Like 1
SkyMan
6 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

I'm in the cebu business park. Is it worth driving to seaside for this? Is there a medical office next to Seaside? Do you go into the LOT first and then go for the medical?

There's a medical office next to every LTO as far as I know.  I usually go to the LTO first and they send you over. It's not much of an exam. Seaside seems a bit faster than others but that's relative. Been a while since I've done anything there.

cookie47
On 6/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, KeninCebu said:

( I waited six months on a Balikbayan privilage before I applied ) HOWEVER things may have changed dramatically in the last 2 years.... , go to Seaside...NOT JMALL,, REPEAT NOT JMALL... See the guy at the door. 

He will check you passport for arrival date.(there is some different opinions on what timespan he's looking for).. give you all papers to fill up. 

Then go next door to the dedicated medical centre,(fill up more papers) have a medical which is only blood pressure , pee test, eye (colour test,..AND.. are yah still breathing test.... 

Go back next door to the LTO with medical certificate . and pay and collect licence. after a long wait... This was my experience... Thus.. 

Now....? some members talk about A computer test. This may well be true NOW. so my information may be old...IDK.BUT. Not for me. Note also. . When the licence was issued the motorcycle component was missing.. I asked and was told I had to come back for that??? NO..fkin. idea what she meant. I didn't care/ bother due to age... 

• Like 1
KeninCebu

There are so many options on the license application. For motorbike and for vehicle. Does anyone know which to check? Do you need some special test if you ever pull a small trailer? Or rent a small van?

Driver’s License Classification and Vehicle Category

• L1 A two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph
  • L2 A three-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph
  • L3 A two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph
  • L4 A vehicle with three wheels asymmetrically arranged in relation to the longitudinal median plane with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph (Motorcycle with sidecar)
  • L5 A vehicle with three wheels symmetrically arranged in relation to the longitudinal median plane with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph
  • L6 A vehicle with four wheels whose unladen mass is not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is not more than 45 kph
  • L7 A vehicle with four wheels, other than that classified for the category L6, whose unladen mass is not more than 400kg (550kg for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is not more than 45 kph

• M1 Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising not more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 5000kg
  • M2 Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 5000kg
  • M3 Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 5000kg

• N1 Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3500kg
  • N2 Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 12000kg
  • N3 Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 12000kg

• O1 Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight not exceeding 750kg
  • O2 Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 750kg but not exceeding 3500kg
  • O3 Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 10000kg
  • O4 Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 10000kg
SkyMan
2 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

There are so many options on the license application. For motorbike and for vehicle. Does anyone know which to check? Do you need some special test if you ever pull a small trailer? Or rent a small van?

L1

A two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph

L2

A three-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kph

L3

A two-wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph

L4

A vehicle with three wheels asymmetrically arranged in relation to the longitudinal median plane with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph (Motorcycle with sidecar)

L5

A vehicle with three wheels symmetrically arranged in relation to the longitudinal median plane with a maximum design speed exceeding 50 kph

L6

A vehicle with four wheels whose unladen mass is not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is not more than 45 kph

L7

A vehicle with four wheels, other than that classified for the category L6, whose unladen mass is not more than 400kg (550kg for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is not more than 45 kph

M1

Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising not more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 5000kg

Driver’s License Classification and Vehicle Category

Disclaimer: Images or pictures in the preceding table were downloaded from the World Wide Web (internet) for sample purposes only and no writer of this manual has the intention of owning the same. No harm and no copyright infringement intended.

VC

SPECIFICATION

SAMPLE IMAGE

M2

Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 5000kg

M3

Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 5000kg

N1

Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3500kg

N2

Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 12000kg

N3

Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 12000kg

O1

Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight not exceeding 750kg

O2

Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 750kg but not exceeding 3500kg

O3

Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 10000kg

O4

Trailers with a maximum gross vehicle weight exceeding 10000kg

I've never seen all that. Where does that come from. I think I have 1 and 2. Motorcycle and MT car.