Musk's Starlink is coming to the Philippines.  Wonder about the pricing. Very expensive in the developed world.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MJones said:

Musk's Starlink is coming to the Philippines.  Wonder about the pricing. Very expensive in the developed world.

$100 per month, cuts out doing heavy storms and doesn't not allow torrent downloads.

• Sad 1
  • 4 months later...
DeedleNuts

Not sure what "doesn't not allow" was intended to mean, but if you wanna torrent be smart and rent a big fat seedbox for $5 a month. I'm waiting on starlink until they introduce portable hardware to complement their new roaming support. Having $150 a month broadband on a boat or RV would be pretty dang cool. I could live on a boat in SEA - sweet. 

• 2 weeks later...
Chris24

Starlink targets ‘full coverage’ of the Philippines by mid-2023

https://www.commsupdate.com/articles/2022/08/30/starlink-targets-full-coverage-of-the-philippines-by-mid-2023/

30 Aug 2022

Starlink Internet Services Philippines, a 100% owned subsidiary of SpaceX (Starlink), is reportedly aiming to fully cover the Philippines by the middle of 2023. Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) Secretary Ivan John Uy is quoted by CNN Philippines as saying: ‘The number of satellites sent up there initially covers the northern hemisphere, but in my recent meeting with their representative here, they assured me that by middle of next year, they’ll have full 100% coverage for the Philippines.’

On 26 May 2022 the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) confirmed that Starlink Internet Services Philippines had received its certificate of registration as a value added service provider (VAS), and last month the venture set out its stall to launch its Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite internet service commercially by December 2022. In a July press briefing, Starlink spokesperson Rebecca Hunter said that hopefully services will come onstream by the end of the year and will deliver high speed, low-latency satellite internet service with download speeds of between 100Mbps and 200Mbps. Hunter added that the router kit for the new service will cost PHP33,000 (USD599), on top of which users will pay roughly PHP5,500 per month for an uncapped service.

Starlink aims to target villages and rural areas that remain unserved or underserved with internet access services, providing a complementary service to those already provided by other telcos.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Chris24 said:

Starlink aims to target villages and rural areas that remain unserved or underserved with internet access services,

I wonder how many of my rural village neighbors can afford P33k for a router kit, let alone P5.5k per month for the service? I’m sure someone will hook up a piso wifi box to the service…

• Like 1
to_dave007
52 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I wonder how many of my rural village neighbors can afford P33k for a router kit, let alone P5.5k per month for the service? I’m sure someone will hook up a piso wifi box to the service…

even for peso wifi it would be expensive

Chris24

Yeah I heard about piso wifi on my last trip but did not see how it actually works and the person explaining it was not very clear on how it works either.  It sounded like it relies on cell tower signal, but I'm guessing that is not the full story.

@Chris24 A piso wifi box can have any internet service behind it (fiber, dsl, cellular etc). They’re usually on a commercial service. Basically it’s a coin box controlled connection to a wifi access point. In our village the piso wifi systems offer both coin access or pre-bought pass code ticket  access. 
These systems usually have high mounted high gain wifi antennas. If you have a lot of them close to you, as I do, you can experience wifi channel congestion (on the 2.4GHz band).

• Thanks 1

Hopefully schools will adopt this service to have decent connection.
Hopefully teachers will incorporate good tech for kids. 
There is a Canadian site called “Prodigy” where kids can learn both English and Math through game play. I used it while teaching middle school math before, it helped a little.

there is also khan academy to help kids learn.

And there are many other good sites.