Extending a Visa on Arrival

sierra01

I'm planning on making my covid delayed move to Cebu in early September,  and I'll be looking to book my flight within the next 4 weeks or so.

The plan is to get married in January/February next year then live on balikbayan visa.  As things stand at the moment, can I arrive on a 30/59 day visa on arrival then extend it until I qualify for a balikbayan visa?  In normal circumstances I know its perfectly possible but with covid the rules change a lot.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• sierra01

• Santafe

• DeedleNuts

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe you can convert your tourist visa (extended or not) to a Balikbayan privilege while in country. I’ve had the impression the balikbayan privilege is acquired upon ar

I flew in to CEB. Checked in to hotel near Gaisano. Went to Immigration and got a 29 day extension.  No problem. No photo. Only 3 of us foreigners there. Sweet. Went to SM Cebu next morning and g

I don't think they care for extensions. 

Posted Images

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, sierra01 said:

I'm planning on making my covid delayed move to Cebu in early September,  and I'll be looking to book my flight within the next 4 weeks or so.

The plan is to get married in January/February next year then live on balikbayan visa.  As things stand at the moment, can I arrive on a 30/59 day visa on arrival then extend it until I qualify for a balikbayan visa?  In normal circumstances I know its perfectly possible but with covid the rules change a lot.

As you say the rules change a lot- but you are asking what the rules will be in September.  I don't think anyone can tell you

mikewright
2 hours ago, sierra01 said:

Not possible to move the wedding date forward? Arrive September on 59 day visa, marry November, OS honeymoon, back to PI in December with balikbayan visa?

SkyMan
4 hours ago, sierra01 said:

Currently, visa extensions are being done as previous to the plague. 

• Thanks 1
mikewright
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So no need for covid insurance when extending visa?

Edited by mikewright
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
54 minutes ago, mikewright said:

So no need for covid insurance when extending visa?

I don't think they care for extensions. 

• Thanks 2
sierra01
12 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

As you say the rules change a lot- but you are asking what the rules will be in September.  I don't think anyone can tell you

I wasn't really asking what the rules will be in September,  more what they are now and if I could extend.

sierra01
10 hours ago, mikewright said:

Not possible to move the wedding date forward? Arrive September on 59 day visa, marry November, OS honeymoon, back to PI in December with balikbayan visa?

I could do that, we have discussed it actually, but I'd prefer to make all the arrangements in a more leisurely manner if possible.  The actual wedding will be at a resort on Bantayan, that's the plan anyway. 

9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That's what I was hoping to hear lol.  If things change then we could use Mikewrights suggestion as a plan B

sierra01

I know the paperwork that we both need to aquire, I have to contact the Embassy regarding my freedom to marry bumf, I'm hoping I can email the documents to them and get everything back in the same way to save a trip to Manila.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, sierra01 said:

I know the paperwork that we both need to aquire, I have to contact the Embassy regarding my freedom to marry bumf, I'm hoping I can email the documents to them and get everything back in the same way to save a trip to Manila.

I believe you can now have the Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity to Marry notarized by any local attorney. If not you can get it at the Cebu consulate. 

Jawny
18 hours ago, sierra01 said:

As things stand at the moment, can I arrive on a 30/59 day visa on arrival then extend it until I qualify for a balikbayan visa?  In normal circumstances I know its perfectly possible but with covid the rules change a lot.

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe you can convert your tourist visa (extended or not) to a Balikbayan privilege while in country. I’ve had the impression the balikbayan privilege is acquired upon arrival with your spouse. 

• Like 6
SkyMan
4 hours ago, Jawny said:

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe you can convert your tourist visa (extended or not) to a Balikbayan privilege while in country. I’ve had the impression the balikbayan privilege is acquired upon arrival with your spouse. 

Sure you can.  The requirements are to take your wife on an int'l honeymoon and bring her back getting a BB visa. You qualify for that in country or out by getting married. 

Edited by SkyMan
sierra01
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I believe you can now have the Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity to Marry notarized by any local attorney. If not you can get it at the Cebu consulate. 

That will be very useful, though I thought the consulate was long gone.  My GF  went to make inquiries a in 2019 regarding getting a tourist visa to come to the UK for a visit but it apparently it was no longer in operation.  If it is then where is it?

6 hours ago, Jawny said:

You're quite right, my plan is to go on honeymoon somewhere and get the balikbayan visa on our return.

Edited by sierra01
Added text
SkyMan
53 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

You're quite right, my plan is to go on honeymoon somewhere and get the balikbayan visa on our return.

Just realize there are a good few hoops to go through for her to leave the country.  Especially if you want her passport in her married name.

53 minutes ago, sierra01 said:

That will be very useful, though I thought the consulate was long gone.  My GF  went to make inquiries a in 2019 regarding getting a tourist visa to come to the UK for a visit but it apparently it was no longer in operation.  If it is then where is it?

The US consulate is where it gas always been but if you're a Brit I don't know your requirements. Perhaps you can get a legal capacity to marry before you leave.

Edited by SkyMan
sierra01
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Just realize there are a good few hoops to go through for her to leave the country.  Especially if you want her passport in her married name.

The US consulate is where it gas always been but if you're a Brit I don't know your requirements. Perhaps you can get a legal capacity to marry before you leave.

Re passport, immigration have told her she can still use her maiden name passport as long as she has the Marriage certificate,  until she gets the name changed.

I am a Brit and the Cebu consulate has long gone.  I would imagine the Philippines would require a legal capacity issued by the Manila Embassy but I could be wrong, I'll get her to check.