How to get an international operator to make collect calls?

Fresh

I gave up trying to do this from the PH but thought I'd ask here: has anyone figured out how?

• Haha 1
Fresh

guess not :lol:

Kahuna

If you can get ahold of an operator explain you wish to make a call but reverse the charges.  :scratch_head:

to_dave007

When I first saw this topic, my immediate thought was "why on earth would someone wish to make a collect international call" any more.

I DO remember makng a collect call through international operator.. but it must be 30..  maybe 40.. years ago now.  Since then so many changes..  such as 1-800 numbers..  long distance calling cards..  and then skype..  VOIP services.. and the drastic reduction in international rates that came with digitization of all calls..  which today allows us to make a free video phone call within ones paid internet service.  Oh.. and mobile phones.. would seem unlikely that you could ever reverse the chanrges to a mobile phone.  and could you be sure that you aren't being chanrged international rates ANYWAY if you reverse the chnages when calling FROM a mobile phone?

In my own life I can't really imagine any circumstance today that would cause me to want to have an international operator reverse the charges. As a result..  i've lost the knowledge I once had about how to do it.  Is there still an international operator even?.

Fresh
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

When I first saw this topic, my immediate thought was "why on earth would someone wish to make a collect international call" any more.

Calling a bank or credit card, they even advise how to do it and give numbers specifically for it.

3 hours ago, Kahuna said:

If you can get ahold of an operator

That's the problematic part, at least in the PH.

to_dave007

My Canadian friend in Lapu2x is on a tight budget.. every peso counts.  And about 3 weeks ago at beginning of March his monthly pension didn't arrive because of some issue at Canadian bank..  so.. he needed to call the bank.  To do that.. he loaded up his mobile phone with lots of load..  then made his call (I think GOCALLIDD on Globe sim)..  and got placed on hold..  long queue.. until his load expired..  and the call was dropped.  He was in a panic..  because he needed to talk to bank to get his meagre pension.

I suggested he try skype..  Kind of a stupid suggestion.. because he does NOT have SKYPE OUT capability to call a landline..  just skype to skype capability.  So.. imagine my surprise when he told me IT WORKED.  I don't think it SHOULD have worked..  because his skype is not connected to any funding source to PAY for any SKYPE OUT call..  but.. he got through to the bank using skype.. and resolved his problem.

Why did it work?  no firm idea..  perhaps because he was calling a 1-800 number..  All. I know is that he DID get through to bank using skype with (so I understand) no skype out billing set up.  

• Like 1
Fresh
On 3/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, to_dave007 said:

he loaded up his mobile phone with lots of load..  then made his call (I think GOCALLIDD on Globe sim)..  and got placed on hold..  long queue.. until his load expired..  and the call was dropped.

Yeah that's the problem. I usually use Smart IDD to make international calls, P2.50/min but when calling a bank or CC, you can be on hold for a really long time. They know this. That's why they all have numbers for international collect calls. Seems weird you can't get an operator in the Philippines, maybe I'll try the Skype method.

• Haha 1