BDO ATM

A_Simple_Man

A few years back I could insert my Canadian debit or credit card in a BDO ATM and withdraw 20,000 pesos at a time.  This trip I tried 2 different Cebu BDOs (Ramos street and SM mall) and each one would only allow 10,000 pesos per transaction.  Yes, I can do a couple of transactions but its more expensive and inconvenient.  So I am asking if anyone in Cebu city knows a BDO or other bank ATM that gives out more than 10,000 pesos on a foreign card??  Recent experience only as I mentioned the BDO used to allow 20,000 at some branches ATMs.

lamoe
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

A few years back I could insert my Canadian debit or credit card in a BDO ATM and withdraw 20,000 pesos at a time.  This trip I tried 2 different Cebu BDOs (Ramos street and SM mall) and each one would only allow 10,000 pesos per transaction.  Yes, I can do a couple of transactions but its more expensive and inconvenient.  So I am asking if anyone in Cebu city knows a BDO or other bank ATM that gives out more than 10,000 pesos on a foreign card??  Recent experience only as I mentioned the BDO used to allow 20,000 at some branches ATMs.

HSBC - 40,000K per transaction (multiple transactions per day allowed) up to limit I've set on my Schwab card . BTW 52.27P / USD yesterday - checked my withdrawal online.

But - very few locations I've been told.

Edited by lamoe
A_Simple_Man
12 minutes ago, lamoe said:

HSBC - 40,000K per transaction

OK I see that on the map, near Ayala right?  I will give it a try.

lamoe

Yes - opens at 9 am - I park right in front

BTW with Schwab no ATM fees and exchange rate as listed on internet 52.34P / USD just now.

mikewright
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Yes - opens at 9 am - I park right in front

BTW with Schwab no ATM fees and exchange rate as listed on internet 52.34P / USD just now.

Is that a better rate than the money changers? Was surprised to find I am getting a better rate through the ATMs for AUD than from any money changer. Like you, no ATM fees  

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, mikewright said:

Was surprised to find I am getting a better rate through the ATMs for AUD than from any money changer.

You are having better luck than me.  For Canadian Dollars I get 38.3 through the ATMs after accounting for all fees and I got 40.3 for cash at the money changer.  All money changers are different though.

• Like 1
SkyMan

BPI allows p20k. At least from my BPI account.  I don't know about a foreign account. 

• Like 1
Soupeod

AUB in Cebu and Ormoc is 20k, plus 50k if you need it, just send a text. Charge 8-11 pesos from non AUB atm. Using PH atm card.

My USAA card, never tried above 20,000 pesos, Atm fees are refunded.

Have a Schawb account but never used it.

I usually walk into the bank and get 100k, no fees ;)

A_Simple_Man
6 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

Using PH atm card.

Yeah.  Foreign cards are all different.  My Capital One card would get me money on many different networks but I gave that up.  The card I have now is more restrictive.  It works on the BDO network but not on the Metrobank network (for example).  I am still planning to try HSBC next time I need cash.  When I was a resident, using a Philippine bank, I also just walked in and got all the cash I needed.  Those were different days.

mikewright
20 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

You are having better luck than me.  For Canadian Dollars I get 38.3 through the ATMs after accounting for all fees and I got 40.3 for cash at the money changer.  All money changers are different though.

Could also be that my bank, ING, refunds the Philippine bank fees and doesn't charge an international ATM fee itself. The exchange rate for the Australian dollar today was 38.489 pesos from the BDO ATM, whereas the money changer next to Rustans in Ayala was giving 37.5.

lamoe
4 hours ago, Soupeod said:

AUB in Cebu and Ormoc is 20k, plus 50k if you need it, just send a text. Charge 8-11 pesos from non AUB atm. Using PH atm card.

My USAA card, never tried above 20,000 pesos, Atm fees are refunded.

Have a Schawb account but never used it.

I usually walk into the bank and get 100k, no fees ;)

Ran into a problem with Visa corp. Requested max amount of 250K P (40x6+10) no go - but Schwab can do a temp to 100K if I call.

Once I get passport back will establish PH bank account.

SkyMan

A note in withdrawing from BPI peso account at a BPI ATM. You are limited to p20k per day but you can raise that with the app. I keep it at 20 unless I need  more and I change it before walking over to the ATM and then put it back.

A_Simple_Man
On 3/19/2022 at 12:27 PM, A_Simple_Man said:

I am still planning to try HSBC next time I need cash.

So I used HSBC today and here is my experience.  First, they do charge 250 pesos for foreign transactions.  It says so on the screen if you read it carefully, but they hide it in the amount deducted from my foreign bank account so it does not show as a separate item on my receipt.  The beauty is that I only need to do one transaction to withdraw my daily limit of CAD$1,000 from my foreign bank.  That gives me 39,000 pesos.  Not quite the 40K I wanted to get because the HSBC exchange rate is 3% worse than the rate I can get at a money changer (if I had cash).  The rate they paid me for CAD$ today is 39.9697 when the cash rate is 41.15 at the moment.

Bottom line is:  Convenient, easy, and only a little bit expensive.  I see the ATM is just inside the door so not sure if it is accessible after banking hours.

• Thanks 2
liquido

Many moons back I decided to open up an HSBC account in the USA assuming there would be no ATM fee withdrawing cash in the RP using there ATM.... Assuming has burnt me many times...HSBC is just a memory to me now...

fivestarph
1 hour ago, liquido said:

Many moons back I decided to open up an HSBC account in the USA assuming there would be no ATM fee withdrawing cash in the RP using there ATM.... Assuming has burnt me many times...HSBC is just a memory to me now...

I believe if one is a HSBC Premier member there is no fee, but don't quote me.