Lots of happy faces, but some distant dark clouds

HappyinPH

I see nobody's posted here for two years - well here goes...

It's so nice to see things almost back to normal for families now - children are allowed in a lot of malls and restaurants, and they can have fun in the "play place" that you find in most malls. Lots of happy kids!

And if no new variants come along, things will only get better and normal face-to-face school will start later this year, which of course is a good thing. But it should be obvious to anyone with an interest in education that Covid will have increased the gap between the haves and have-nots. Two and a half years of "home schooling", "modules", "tutors" (if you can afford it) or just doing nothing! So imagine two kids who were at the same level before Covid: one has had a good tutor every school day for 2½ years and the other no help at all, except that his big brother has filled in all the answers in the module (if you call that help). Imagine that they're both starting Year 4 later this year - one will be able to read fluently and therefore do well in all the subjects, while the other doesn't even know half the letters of the alphabet. 

But for now, let them just enjoy "play place" and "fun palace"...

• Thanks 2
to_dave007
6 hours ago, HappyinPH said:

I see nobody's posted here for two years - well here goes...

It's so nice to see things almost back to normal for families now - children are allowed in a lot of malls and restaurants, and they can have fun in the "play place" that you find in most malls. Lots of happy kids!

And if no new variants come along, things will only get better and normal face-to-face school will start later this year, which of course is a good thing. But it should be obvious to anyone with an interest in education that Covid will have increased the gap between the haves and have-nots. Two and a half years of "home schooling", "modules", "tutors" (if you can afford it) or just doing nothing! So imagine two kids who were at the same level before Covid: one has had a good tutor every school day for 2½ years and the other no help at all, except that his big brother has filled in all the answers in the module (if you call that help). Imagine that they're both starting Year 4 later this year - one will be able to read fluently and therefore do well in all the subjects, while the other doesn't even know half the letters of the alphabet. 

But for now, let them just enjoy "play place" and "fun palace"...

You got it EXACTLY right.

My sons 11 and 10 are now doing years 5 and 4..  with modules..  I help them with math, science and english and their mother (a licensed teacher) helps with the other subjects.  Our goal was to keep them "in touch with" the educational standards that they should be at.. and I think we've done that.

Their (rather numerous) similar age cousins..  being largely unparented.. are either making no attempt at modules or letting other family members "help them" by saving them the trouble of doing the work.  It got so bad that I had to get a bit strict about ANY of the cousins hanging out around here at all from Monday to Friday when our sons are getting their modules done.  Most of the parents involved don't give a sh*t.

Meanwhie.. DepEd..  has spent it's full labour budget (for more than 500,000 employees) plus all the additional module costs for the last 2 years.. while offloading the actual teaching task to parents and family members of the students.  One has to feel sorry (NOT !!!!!) for all those teachers who will have to give up their printers and photocopiers and actually TEACH again eventually.

Personally I'm getting a bit LIVID at DepEd for failing to show any respect or appreciation for the parents who have done their job for them these last 2 years..  withOUT benefit of their DepEd salaries. It's infuriating to have to correct all the incompetent errors in math modules that were PREPARED by teams of 2 or 3 full time teachers and REVIEWED by 2 or 3 others.

PS.. one of the same age cousins is Lawrence..  enrolled now in grade 5.  he does NOTHING this year and last year..  with ZERO parental help. Of course they'll promote him anyway soince he was enrolled.  His mother is more interested to make more siblings for him than she is to parent him (two more during the pandemic).  There was a time that Lawrence and my grade 5 son did exactly the same work with exactly the same competence.  For some time they were in same class.   But not any more.  Lawrence is at LEAST 3 years behind now.. and no one cares.  And for me.. I am focussed to help my OWN kids.

• Like 2
Chris24
19 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

You got it EXACTLY right.

My sons 11 and 10 are now doing years 5 and 4..  with modules..  I help them with math, science and english and their mother (a licensed teacher) helps with the other subjects.  Our goal was to keep them "in touch with" the educational standards that they should be at.. and I think we've done that.

Their (rather numerous) similar age cousins..  being largely unparented.. are either making no attempt at modules or letting other family members "help them" by saving them the trouble of doing the work.  It got so bad that I had to get a bit strict about ANY of the cousins hanging out around here at all from Monday to Friday when our sons are getting their modules done.  Most of the parents involved don't give a sh*t.

Meanwhie.. DepEd..  has spent it's full labour budget (for more than 500,000 employees) plus all the additional module costs for the last 2 years.. while offloading the actual teaching task to parents and family members of the students.  One has to feel sorry (NOT !!!!!) for all those teachers who will have to give up their printers and photocopiers and actually TEACH again eventually.

Personally I'm getting a bit LIVID at DepEd for failing to show any respect or appreciation for the parents who have done their job for them these last 2 years..  withOUT benefit of their DepEd salaries. It's infuriating to have to correct all the incompetent errors in math modules that were PREPARED by teams of 2 or 3 full time teachers and REVIEWED by 2 or 3 others.

PS.. one of the same age cousins is Lawrence..  enrolled now in grade 5.  he does NOTHING this year and last year..  with ZERO parental help. Of course they'll promote him anyway soince he was enrolled.  His mother is more interested to make more siblings for him than she is to parent him (two more during the pandemic).  There was a time that Lawrence and my grade 5 son did exactly the same work with exactly the same competence.  For some time they were in same class.   But not any more.  Lawrence is at LEAST 3 years behind now.. and no one cares.  And for me.. I am focussed to help my OWN kids.

It's not all that different in the U.S., at least in my own microcosm.  My daughter (10th grade now) did fairly well with remote learning, but my son (9th grade now) did not.  It' not that he isn't smart, in fact he was "outsmarting" the online lessons by figuring out how to get the software to give him credit, without actually learning the subject matter.  Now we are playing catch-up, particularly in math.  And there are many other students at his school in the same boat. 

I had not considered the broader implications of this gap being magnified between the children of what the schools call "checked-out" parents compared to kids with parents actively engaged with their education.  But I see with my son that the education for his math especially is requiring him to self-teach considerably more than when I was in high school. In short it seems that to some degree the online tools have become a substitute for classroom instruction rather than a supplement.    

• Like 1
to_dave007
1 minute ago, Chris24 said:

It's not all that different in the U.S., at least in my own microcosm.  My daughter (10th grade now) did fairly well with remote learning, but my son (9th grade now) did not.  It' not that he isn't smart, in fact he was "outsmarting" the online lessons by figuring out how to get the software to give him credit, without actually learning the subject matter.  Now we are playing catch-up, particularly in math.  And there are many other students at his school in the same boat. 

I had not considered the broader implications of this gap being magnified between the children of what the schools call "checked-out" parents compared to kids with parents actively engaged with their education.  But I see with my son that the education for his math especially is requiring him to self-teach considerably more than when I was in high school. In short it seems that to some degree the online tools have become a substitute for classroom instruction rather than a supplement.    

No online here..  too many kids with no access to it.

Headshot

Well, there may be some good news. My wife told me yesterday that DepEd has reopened the schools in the Carcar area as an experiment. I would hope that ALL schools (public and private) will be back to normal onsite classes with the beginning of the next school year. Ateneo (where my daughter attends) was online throughout the pandemic until the typhoon took out power and internet, went to paper modules temporarily, and then returned to online classes again.

When asked about resumption of classes, they told me that they would resume them today, if DepEd would allow them, but that they cannot buck DepEd's edicts. Otherwise, they would lose their DepEd credentials and have to close. So, here is hoping that DepEd pulls their heads out of their asses soon, and realizes that shutting down the schools is NOT a good answer (and never was). Of course, there is no way they will ever admit they were wrong.

This experiment has NOT been good for my daughter (who is ADHD). She is just too easily distracted to keep on top of her assignments (and there are a lot of assignments under both the online and paper module methods of "teaching"). The only way she keeps up with assignments is if my wife and I stay on top of her all the time. My wife, who is a certified elementary teacher but no longer teaching, said it must be nice for teachers right now who just give out assignments and ignore the teaching part of their jobs. They even have the parents check the child's assignments and grade them before they are turned in. What could possibly go wrong with that system?

• Sad 1
SkyMan

Any time US states talk about bringing the students back to class there is vehement opposition from the teachers and a certain sect of parents because it's too dangerous to stand in front of a classroom of masked kids each day. The same kids, each day.  But throughout the plague, grocery checkers have had close interaction with hundreds of people a day. Mostly different people each day. I guess they're expendable. 

Edited by SkyMan
to_dave007

DepEd ‘very optimistic’ of shift to limited face-to-face classes in school year 2022-2023
========================================================================================
'We are very optimistic that we can already transition to the new normal phase starting 2022-2023,' says Education Assistant Secretary Malcolm Garma

The Department of Education (DepEd) expressed optimism that all schools in the country would eventually transition to limited face-to-face classes in school year 2022-2023, an official said on Friday, December 17.

“We are very optimistic that we can already transition to the new normal phase starting 2022-2023,” Education Assistant Secretary Malcolm Garma said during the Senate basic education panel’s hearing on the implementation of limited face-to-face classes.

The pilot run of limited face-to-face classes which initially started with 100 schools on November 15 ended on Friday. On December 6, more public and private schools in different provinces joined the pilot run, totaling to 287. This, however, is just a fraction of some 60,000 public and private schools in the country.

The DepEd earlier scheduled the end of the pilot run on January 31, 2022.

“When we conclude the pilot implementation by today, we will be consolidating the data that we gathered for the four weeks,” Garma said.

DepEd ‘very optimistic’ of shift to limited face-to-face classes in school year 2022-2023
The education official said that the pilot run of face-to-face classes would determine the best practices to be adopted in the new normal of classroom learning in the country. The DepEd prioritized kindergarten and grades 1 to 3 because students in these levels are in their formative years and they need more guidance from their teachers. Senior high school students were also chosen because some of their subjects require “hands-on” training.

Garma said that for the expansion phase, which is scheduled in January 2022, more grade levels and schools could already start limited face-to-face classes.

In a Rappler Talk interview on October 21, Garma had said that the “new normal” in education would not be a “purely classroom setup.”

“What I see is that the new normal would be a combination of the school-based and home-based. Hindi na talaga ‘yung purely classroom ang ating new normal in education (The new normal in education won’t be a purely classroom setup anymore),” he said.

What will be the ‘new normal’ in PH education post-pandemic?

On Thursday, December 16, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that there were no talks yet to postpone the expansion of face-to-face classes after the detection of the COVID-19 Omicron variant cases in the country. She added that health department was coordinating with the DepEd and Commission on Higher Education to ensure that there would not be COVID-19 outbreaks in schools.

As of Friday, Garma said that no cases had been recorded so far during the first four weeks of limited in-person classes.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/deped-optimistic-transition-limited-face-to-face-classes-2022-2023/?fbclid=IwAR0Zx3pf3CPUn1X6KhN-pw-hJgrDrVGKopRdTr2GAdGCAb7PDx6mUdzh02o

4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Any time US states talk about bringing the students back to class there is vehement opposition from the teachers and a certain sect of parents because it's too dangerous to stand in front of a classroom of masked kids each day. The same kids, each day.  But throughout the plague, grocery checkers have had close interaction with hundreds of people a day. Mostly different people each day. I guess they're expendable. 

In Canada the teachers unions have WAY too much power to call the shots.

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

My wife, who is a certified elementary teacher but no longer teaching, said it must be nice for teachers right now who just give out assignments and ignore the teaching part of their jobs. 

Agree

BossHog
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

One problem with this is that in some areas the schools are so heavily damaged from the storm that it's hard to imagine in-person classes unless they want to teach algebra under a mango tree.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

This thread is in the forum about "Children In The Philippines", not in other countries.

Let's' keep talk about other countries' political/COVID controversy out of this thread. It's not like there aren't already enough threads to cover such topics.

• Thanks 1
SkyMan
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

One problem with this is that in some areas the schools are so heavily damaged from the storm that it's hard to imagine in-person classes unless they want to teach algebra under a mango tree.

Physics maybe? 

• Like 1