SkyMan

Posted by a church mate....

VECO UPDATE from Dec 26 PressCon:

Damage Estimate (this only covers area surveyed in the city centers and lowlands, EXCLUDING mountainous areas):
Damaged or Toppled/ broken 23KVA Posts (the ones you see along the road) - 536 posts

Damaged or Toppled/Broken 69KVA Posts- 12 posts (including the ones in front of Grand Convention Center and outside Paradise Village).

Damaged Transformers- 518

Feeder Lines- 55 (47 restored)

Segments- 458 (183 repaired)

Order of Priority of Repair- Backbone Feeders along main roads and energize hospitals, DOH and the vaccine storage units, MCWD water pumping stations and telcos. (Areas being fed by same lines leading to hospitals, water pumping stations and telcos will most likely also get energized first). 

Lateral Feeders leading to secondary roads wil take more time to repair.

Why did it take a few days to start repairs?
1. VECO personnel suffered severe damage to own homes and had to secure property and families first. 
2. VECO linemen and engineers had to cut down fallen trees along roads and on wires in order to start surveying damage. Governor had to order LGU to clear the roads of fallen trees so VECO could start on their work. 

Number of VECO and other personnel working on restoring power:
VECO- 216
Contractors- 343
From Davao Light, Cotabato Light, CDO Light, Meralco, Dagupan Light- 166
Total number of personnel working- 725 (including office personnel, linemen, engineers, surveyors etc).

Logistics:
Diesel- 6,000 liters every day for the trucks
Gasoline- 400 liters every day for motorcycles, other vehicles
Food for 725 personnel
Drinking water for 725 personnel, 90% of whom are working out in the sun.
Accommodations for the 166 personnel from other power companies 

Whose Power has been restored?
Hospitals- 19 out of 31 major hospitals (and surrounding areas)
MCWD Water Pumping Stations- 43 out of 116.
75,000 customers out of the total 474,000 VECO Customers

Forecast:
Dec 31- all major hospitals and 30% of total customers
Jan 10- 80% of total customers
Jan 31- 100 % of total customers

-as long as current workforce is maintained and materials and equipment are available. 
- might take longer if workforce is diminished, presence of inclement weather or theft of transformers, etc etc.

Billing Update:
There will be no surcharges for late payments of December bills. 
There will be no billing from Dec 17, 2021 to Jan 31, 2022 as a reprieve for customers (source CDN Digital Dec 26)
Customers who are energized early will have February bills reflecting the date their power was restored.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• cookie47

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The number of electric companies who sent trucks and crews to (partially) restore power here on Siargao was so appreciated. They came from Cotabato, Bukidnon, CDO, and even as far away as Basilan. The

Yeah, been a busy four months. Chainsaws and a lot of labor.  Here's a bit of "before and after". We've recovered. Took a fuck ton of money though. First pic a few days after the storm and the second

Every catastrophe no matter how dire has its upside. We've been wielding chainsaws for months and now have a HUGE stack of hardwood lumber. Have three carpenters working on an 80"x60" king-size b

Posted Images

to_dave007
2 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

makes me wonder why folks do not do that now?

lots ARE doing it.  the population of all northern towns in Cebu has swelled dramatically.  Big Christmas bonus for all resort owners.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, hyaku said:

Anyone hear from James Musselwhite on Dinigat? Are they ok?

Anyone heard from him?

SkyMan
7 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

A vacation in Manila for a few weeks, perhaps?

Replace a temporary disaster with a permanent one?  No thanks.

• Haha 2
cookie47

Finally got some signal .

I've been battling with very weak on then off Smart signal since the typhoon.

My neighbours however who were on Globe were getting 3 to 4 Bars from the morning of the Typhoon....GRRR.

SO, Managed to snag the last globe Sim I "recon" available in Ayala....

But,,,,, Lazada my normal top up go to app didn't have globe top Up available. (Not due if it's Typhoon related or what ?)

Grr.....So downloaded GCASH.which took forever and then managed to load the Globe Sim via Metrobank..🙂

Anyway this nothing to what the local populous are having to endure including pissin heavy rain this morning...☹️

• Like 2
Irenicus

Well, this has made me rethink a few things.  I think we are going to switch from a pressure pump on our water supply to a big frukking tank atop the very solid tower that is already on our property.  That will keep us in water for a bit of something like this hits here.  I also have a 12v 2,000 watt pure sine inverter permanently installed in our Tucson CRDI, but after seeing the gas lines on my way back to Duma after quarantine, supply is sketchy.  I am not counting on gennies - we already have a 95 WH Sinopoly Lithium Iron battery pack that powers two fans and our router for 12 hours but I am thinking about getting more LI batteries and upgrading to a 24v small solar array with a higher rated inverter to run some stuff on the regualr (PC, fridge, mebbe one inverter aircon during day).  I dunno nothing about that solar stuff though.  I am glad that we got an unlocked B315 router off Lazada months back.  Alternating between Globe, SIM and PLDT seems to keep some semblance of connection.  My wife has owned a firearm for the past few years - and after seeing the desperation in Cebu after the Odette...well, things can get ugly.  We keep it in a gun safe in the wall of our bedroom. 

Dumagete was lucky as were all areas north of hte storm.  It was pretty much a 40 miles wide swath of destruction.  Heading south from Cebu the horrific damage only lessened around Oslob.  By Santander, there was even less damage.  On Dumaguete, it was like nothing happened.

I dunno if there is a thread on preparing for disasters in the Philippines - mebbe a mod could move this and let other folks add in items/strategies for dealing with calamaties such as this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Replace a temporary disaster with a permanent one?  No thanks.

I just went to manila for the first time. It was way better than i expected. Only stayed 2 nights, but it was a nice trip. Rizal Park was nice, lots of nice food choices in the city. Easier to get around than i expected. 
Manila seems to have a lot more going on than Cebu. It was definitely eye opening. 
also, no qr code anywhere so that was nice.

the worst part was the flight from Tacloban to Manila was delayed 2-3 hours, and the return flight was also delayed 2-3 hours, lol. So the airport experiences were not great. Also, no where to sit in the cebu pacific terminal lol... and people everywhere

• Like 4

I live on Luzon so I was wondering if anyone has any information about power restoration on Mactan Island?

A fellow Expat is stateside in and out of the hospital he had to return due to several health and security issues (long story) his wife is on Mactan Island, he has no communication and hasn't heard much word about the current power restoration with Meco, which is the utility company and supplies electricity to Mactan Island (Lapu Lapu City) and Olongo Island.

• Like 1
cookie47
I live on Luzon so I was wondering if anyone has any information about power restoration on Mactan Island?
A fellow Expat is stateside in and out of the hospital he had to return due to several health and security issues (long story) his wife is on Mactan Island, he has no communication and hasn't heard much word about the current power restoration with Meco, which is the utility company and supplies electricity to Mactan Island (Lapu Lapu City) and Olongo Island.
Hi, My extended family live in Lapu2.(Deca 5)

I was there 3 days ago delivering Water and no power and little to NO water at that time.

No one since has communicated with us (in Consolacion) via text or social media so I'm "assuming"? both power and phone are still down, although my nephew who has a solar business he's been charging multiple phone's Daily but I can't confirm if anyone is getting a signal ? ....

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
cookie47

Just like to add that the amount of electrical infrastructure /broken concrete Poles and wires down etc along the area between the first (old) bridge and Grand Mall I recon it's going to be a while Yet.?

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Sad 1
On 12/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, arentol said:

For an exercise in frustration, try telling your loved ones about the expected intensity and danger of this storm... now a Super Typhoon.

Zero preparation, zero interest in doing anything, but when the SHTF the only reaction is to pray.

Being easygoing is great when there's nothing going on, but the locals here are easygoing when there's a super typhoon on their doorstep. It's mind-numbingly frustrating. If you're a Lord of the Rings fan, then the best way I can express myself is to say that I feel like Gandalf yelling at the Hobbits, "The Ringwraiths are coming!!" and they just laugh and drink more ale.

I feel the same way now as I did when Yolanda/Haiyan hit back in 2013. Cebuanos have been so lucky -- typhoons usually always hit to the north or south of Cebu, so they've become so relaxed and accustomed to being safe... and now, when things may be very dangerous, they still remain in lala-land.

I bought extra potable water this morning, filled up all buckets with tap water, bought extra power bank, bought another emergency light, and am charging everything up now. No doubt by tomorrow I'll be hearing, "Good thing you did that.."

Been here 15 years and it's really wearing me down...

Aren

Well that was spot on.   I got sleeping on it like the locals..  I wish I had been watching this forum.   I was super prepared for  Yolanda ..like you were for odette.. but this one.. i just figured  .. ah  another lil breezy and rainy day or two.  Its been ugly to say the least.    hope all are well. Im still reading the thread as I post this.   Never again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Ozepete

Lets keep a look out for members including the Boss Hog and James..  Hope they and their families are ok

• Like 6
SkyMan
4 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Lets keep a look out for members including the Boss Hog and James..  Hope they and their families are ok

I sent James a message on fb. Does anyone else know another way to message either of them?

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Boss is OK and busy repairing damage.

• Thanks 6
SkyMan
13 hours ago, Edwin said:

Boss is OK and busy repairing damage.

I imagine the case is the same for James. He probably has quite a lot of things to be damaged.  Hope he doesn't have to start over with his lobsters. 

• Like 1
Pman
On 12/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Irenicus said:

Well, this has made me rethink a few things.  I think we are going to switch from a pressure pump on our water supply to a big frukking tank atop the very solid tower that is already on our property.  That will keep us in water for a bit of something like this hits here.  I also have a 12v 2,000 watt pure sine inverter permanently installed in our Tucson CRDI, but after seeing the gas lines on my way back to Duma after quarantine, supply is sketchy.  I am not counting on gennies - we already have a 95 WH Sinopoly Lithium Iron battery pack that powers two fans and our router for 12 hours but I am thinking about getting more LI batteries and upgrading to a 24v small solar array with a higher rated inverter to run some stuff on the regualr (PC, fridge, mebbe one inverter aircon during day).  I dunno nothing about that solar stuff though.  …

Dumagete was lucky as were all areas north of hte storm. 

We are north, and didn’t get hit as hard as Cebu. We built solid concrete house, with deep well, 7 solar panels and 4 200AH 12v batteries. Thankfully no damage. Used heavy steel to hold panels. 

It is on/off grid system (well, it will be whenever local utilities get around to hooking us up - lol) so we have been functioning totally off grid no problem for a few months. 

We were able to provide our neighbors and extended family water and phone charging for the 3 days until power was restored. 

• Like 5