Jeepney
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

This was the last post from BossHog.  Anyone know of a way to contact him by other means?

No further info regarding him, just that he is ok.

I trust we hear from him in his own time. Transport to Siargao is just getting up and going again, comm towers, and electrics will be slow to follow, same as in Surigao and dinagat here in Mindanao.

Add, just talked to him via messenger, comm are getting back, but only in del carmen, non in San Isidro, assumed he used cp, not his laptop he nomally uses for linc.

Add, the whole family home, and safe.

Edited by Jeepney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• cookie47

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The number of electric companies who sent trucks and crews to (partially) restore power here on Siargao was so appreciated. They came from Cotabato, Bukidnon, CDO, and even as far away as Basilan. The

Yeah, been a busy four months. Chainsaws and a lot of labor.  Here's a bit of "before and after". We've recovered. Took a fuck ton of money though. First pic a few days after the storm and the second

Every catastrophe no matter how dire has its upside. We've been wielding chainsaws for months and now have a HUGE stack of hardwood lumber. Have three carpenters working on an 80"x60" king-size b

Posted Images

cookie47
17 minutes ago, mexiwi said:

ATM situation

Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer.Two days ago there were ATMS working with the obvious lines of waiting people.

Yesterday when my wife went to SM Consolacion Both Metrobank and BDO were all "off Line"... However there was still people waiting as off line to on line can change at will....

• Like 2
to_dave007
3 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer.Two days ago there were ATMS working with the obvious lines of waiting people.

Yesterday when my wife went to SM Consolacion Both Metrobank and BDO were all "off Line"... However there was still people waiting as off line to on line can change at will....

Here in Tuburan..  there were people in ATM queue from Balamban and (gasp) TOLEDO (90 minutes drive).  When the money ran out they choose to sleep in front of machine to not lose their spot in line.  Machine refilled in morning.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
cookie47
Here in Tuburan..  there were people in ATM queue from Balamban and (gasp) TOLEDO (90 minutes drive).  When the money ran out they choose to sleep in front of machine to not lose their spot in line.  Machine refilled in morning.
Yes exactly...Same conversation with one of the many waiting saying to Isidra .....We ARE waiting until it works.!!

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Just got word about condo - patio door open but no water damage inside - in fact our St. Nino statue on top of wardrobe still standing :scratch_head:

• Like 3
TequilaSunset
We have had some word from my wife's family in Lapu2x.
Sister's house in BF Abuno is fine, some roofs went in the subdivision.
Elder brother's place (boarding house near BF Abuno) had some leakage but still standing.
Little brother lives in his wife's parents' house in Paknaan - roof and top story walls gone, the kids and wife have relocated to BF Abuno.
Still no power or water for any of them. Looking at the pics of damage it is going to be a while before things are back to normal. Hard to have a happy christmas  here in Oz when we know the family is doing it really tough there.
Anyone know whether any of the remittance places are up and running, or what the ATM situation is - all very well sending the family money - but no good if they can't get at it!
My fiancée is in Lapu2 and remittance open yesterday but out of money. Difficult times

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Should be read by any expat or potential expat living in Cebu, on point journalism:

Typhoon Odette in Cebu: Queen City in ruins

The morning after looked like the warzone. The general mood, however, was hardly lawless. There was no looting. Cebuanos waited for their turns in line at the convenience stores, supermarkets, gas stations. They waited for their water rations.

While news of the Category 4 typhoon was available the day prior to landfall, no major broadcaster explained the gravity of the situation. We can thank the President and his Congress for not renewing the franchise of ABS-CBN.

The last time Cebu was hit by storms this fierce was in 1984 (Typhoon Nitang) and 1990 (Typhoon Ruping).   Former Cebu City Mayor Tommy Osmeña would often mention that it was Ruping’s destructive force that taught him that Cebu could not – and should not – rely on the national government to survive or progress after the devastation.  According to Osmeña’s recollection, the national government, headed by then-president Corazon Aquino, only gave Cebu P1 million in aid at the time. 

This is the history of the much-celebrated Cebuano “resiliency.” It is a resiliency rooted in distrust of a central government – a government that continues to fail to do its duty to provide for its people outside the favored National Capital Region.  Based on what residents of Cebu told us in the aftermath of Odette, not much has changed.

In the days following the typhoon in Cebu City, we saw mostly Cebuanos themselves, not the local government nor politicians, working to clean up and restore order in the city. It did not take long for Cebuanos to realize that the only ones they could rely on were each other.

And there are still many questions that need answers.  Why were we not prepared? Why is aid taking so long? Just how many people were hurt? These are the questions we must ask.  But one thing is clear: While the Queen City and the island province are battered, they are not broken.  Cebuanos are used to helping themselves. History has proven time and again that Cebuanos can – and will – overcome, with or without the help of a functioning authority. - https://www.rappler.com/nation/typhoon-odette-cebu-queen-city-in-ruins/

• Like 2
to_dave007

For Cebu Province..  the supply chain for most goods passes through the urban core of Cebu City, Mandaue, and other parts.

Feels like the supply chain may be broken for a time.  Some anecdotes include:

• My Swiss friend in Balamban tells me the shelves at Gaisano there will have lots of blank spots by end of today.
  • Same Swiss friend tells me that Aussie with a lot of pigs can't buy pig feed.. no stock
  • Jollibee and McD in Bogo are open..  but half the menu items are "sorry sir.  no stock".
  • 3 ays ago my local rice supplier had a room FULL of sacks of rice..  today..  will be sold out.
  • 30 people in line to get into Prince 15 minutes before 8am opening..  very unusual.
  • Resorts..  pension houses..  hotels throughout the northern part of the island are FULL just now.. every room taken..  and the streets are BUSY..  lots of city folk have excaped the chaos there by getting out to the province..  Why not..  kids ore not in school and it's holiday time anyway. PLUS.. lots of workers have been put out of work in city.  2 members of my wifes family told to report back to (textile production) work January 17 in Lapu2x.  So.. LOTS of extra mouth to feed just now.
  • Lechon manoc stores out of stock way earlier than normal.
  • and finally..  GASP..  No San Mig delivery last week..  

On the other hand..  the market still seems to have most fruit, veg, eggs, pork and chicken.  so it seems mostly supply of packaged good may be interupted.

• Like 3
Soupeod

A lot of Cebu and Southern Leyte folks flooding in to Ormoc for Cash, supplies, gas, gensets, etc… hotels are filling up with Cebu folks here as well, some places prices have doubled despite the Gov proclamation.

Im curious how the Cebu condos are doing?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Im curious how the Cebu condos are doing?

Got pics from owner's rental mgr. (btw had a friend send him 500P load) - patio door open and off track but no water damage. He did say some of the larger units facing East had damage if they had a wall of sliding patio doors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
A_Simple_Man
7 hours ago, Soupeod said:

A lot of Cebu and Southern Leyte folks flooding in to Ormoc

Makes sense.  Those on Leyte who survived Yolanda flooded into Cebu for supplies.  At the time, I thought it made more sense to move away from the disaster area.  It meant one less person looking for food and water and gas etc.  So that makes me wonder why folks do not do that now?  A vacation in Manila for a few weeks, perhaps?

• Like 2