Soupeod

.. meanwhile while some complain about Pldt…

More rain inc. 

7F76AB71-25CC-45CC-8A85-F6DD4D0AD737.png

• Sad 1
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• cookie47

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The number of electric companies who sent trucks and crews to (partially) restore power here on Siargao was so appreciated. They came from Cotabato, Bukidnon, CDO, and even as far away as Basilan. The

Yeah, been a busy four months. Chainsaws and a lot of labor.  Here's a bit of "before and after". We've recovered. Took a fuck ton of money though. First pic a few days after the storm and the second

Every catastrophe no matter how dire has its upside. We've been wielding chainsaws for months and now have a HUGE stack of hardwood lumber. Have three carpenters working on an 80"x60" king-size b

Posted Images

Fresh
5 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Have you been south of Cebu City? Huge metal poles snapped in half along with cement poles, trees were uprooted, and took out all wires on poles. To think any company could recover from this in a few days is ludicrous.

Not talking about the southern provinces, electricity was restored in a week here in the City proper. The ludicrous part is using huge cement poles that snap in half, and yes I saw them here too, mostly hollow. And fixed in a week. 

Edited by Fresh
Fresh
23 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Do you have anything NEW to add to this thread about ODETTE?

Besides the abysmal failure of PLDT and the praiseworthy success of VECO in restoring service?

I've been looking into solar panels. 

Pman

Our system was installed in October, before the typhoon. 7 solar panels, 4 batteries, fuses and switches.

We’ve never been without power. 

That along with our deep well were two of the best decisions we made. Never were without water either. Helped many others. If you’ve got the money just do it. 

• Like 3
Ozepete
14 hours ago, BossHog said:

Five very long weeks later and still no power or signal at home. Gotta travel some distance to get either..

The beach towns look like a certified apocalypse. It's a fecking mess.

It's just ugly no matter which way you look at it.

But life goes on. Been a crazy expensive rebuild and I don't even recognize the topography around me. Seriously strong storm.

Sent from my SM-T295 using Tapatalk

Sad  that you have so much damage to deal with but good to see you back here, and as they say 'what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger'  So hope there is up side to this for you and your family and anything we can do from here in Oz, just yell out. 

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Fresh said:

I've been looking into solar panels

Roofs blown off, power poles destroyed, but you think solar panels will be fine in the next typhooon.  Optimist are ya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
3 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Roofs blown off, power poles destroyed, but you think solar panels will be fine in the next typhooon.  Optimist are ya.

The last big one to hit Cebu was Ruping which was about 30 years ago so I wouldn't worry much about what you build today.  I built my house about 12 years ago for 3 months worth of rent I had been paying and now it's a pile of sticks. I'll just build it again with some small improvements because I don't need it to last 10 years anyway.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond
17 hours ago, Fresh said:

electricity was restored in a week here in the City proper

You must not get out much. We were in the city last week and went through several areas that still are without power and have electric lines laying on the ground. 

On the positive side, we had a PLDT tech come to the house today and he repaired our connection.

884430234_Screenshot2022-01-23at23-25-47SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.f507de6c7038246fcba24644a748498c.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Fresh
21 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Roofs blown off, power poles destroyed, but you think solar panels will be fine in the next typhooon.

*After

Fresh
6 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

You must not get out much. We were in the city last week and went through several areas that still are without power and have electric lines laying on the ground.

Why would I "get out" to places without electricity? :scratch_head:

We've had electricity for weeks here, still no PLDT. And even when I had no electric, VECO was always informative about their repeats and upcoming repeats. Nothing from PLDT, I expect mass cancellations.

On the positive side, Magic Data from Sun/Smart is flawless.

M.C.A.
23 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Change that roof to a concrete one and make sure those solar panels can be dismantled if needed, I think it could work.

• Like 3

Just checking in. I'm fine. The house sustained very minor damage: I lost a small piece of gutter and two slats from one jalousie window were smashed by a branch when a tree in the back yard fell.  The roof's intact, it's a strong house with a solid hip roof. No tap water for 2 weeks after the storm  but luckily the neighboring pocket subdivision has a drilled well and a generator so they supplied water every morning and evening, filling everyone's containers until the tank was empty. At the end of the third week I got desperate to at least watch a movie on my computer and charge batteries and was able to find a 1000 watt Honda Elemax generator at Rañola Motor Center along the highway in Subangdaku, the last one in stock. We got water back after 3 weeks and electricity after 6, just last Thursday. No PLDT fiber yet: the line from the pole to my house looks OK but their fiber junction box down the street is just hanging by the cables having gotten torn from a utility pole when said pole broke and fell over, and was replaced by VECO contractors Thursday morning. My source of Internet is LTE through my cell phone which is set up as a wifi hotspot. Slow and spotty connection but better than nothing.  I've ordered a mobile wifi "LTE Advanced" router from Globe which is supposed to utilize two different data connections and mux them together for double the speed which will also let me use my cell phone normally again. It'll also make a nice backup in case of future PLDT fiber failures, as long as I can keep the SIM alive. I just went grocery shopping on Saturday and got fresh meat, veggies and ice cream! :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The pole on our street that broke was a metal-clad concrete one. It broke when the entire roof of an auto care shop next door blew off 2x2s and all and landed on our street and on all the utility cables.

• Like 1
to_dave007

Utility poles in the Philippines.. whether made of wood, or concrete or metal..   are required to meet standards issued by the National Electrification Adminisration, and no doubt influenced by standards from overseas.

https://www.nea.gov.ph/ao39/phocadownload/MEMO TO ECs/2018//NEA Memo to ECs No. 2018-033 - Conformity of Poles to NEA Standards as to its Specifications and Quality.pdf

Like any other artifact produced by man these poles have limits..  and no doubt they can be induced to break when subjected to loads like the roof @Jay mentions above, or if a full sized tree falls on the cable between poles.

Pman
11 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

Change that roof to a concrete one and make sure those solar panels can be dismantled if needed, I think it could work.

That is how we did it:

roof2png.thumb.png.fa29367b2e7d27bc65c113ec4a095169.pngroof.thumb.png.4189db4a3af94adef8c1b7b4f7e2b15c.pngroof3.thumb.png.6e37c186a30bba49368c4f32e4976afb.pngroof4.thumb.png.fc48f67621f1c5efe7f9cddbfe38ff38.png

• Like 4