BossHog

A storm is on the way. The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) which is the official agency for our region has just issued their first warning. Looks like a potential landfall in either southern Leyte or northeast Mindanao sometime around Thursday with a peak currently forecast at 80 knots (92 mph or 148 kph). It goes without saying that changes in predicted intensity and track are inevitable. 

This system will enter the Philippine area of Responsibility (PRA) around Tuesday and Pagasa will start issuing updates under the name Odette. The international name will be Rai.

jma.thumb.JPG.03b13083bac56de2727b324b56edd5b6.JPG

deter.thumb.png.61559229b9278f89a205ad4f4c47827e.png

Here's a short video update from early Sunday morning...

Somebody better alert the Surigao Lobster Man to batten down the hatches on all those floating cages!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• SkyMan

• BossHog

• to_dave007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My old friend Jaffer (85) here in Tuburan lives in nipa and bamboo right on the beach..  <20 meters from the high tide line..  and for 2 days prior to Odette he steadfastly refused to evacuate.  Fi

I survived here in Surigao city, no communication, power or water here. I reckon it could be up to 3/4 months before the electra network can be rebuild, my house turned Ikea flatpack. Dinagat see

Well, this has made me rethink a few things.  I think we are going to switch from a pressure pump on our water supply to a big frukking tank atop the very solid tower that is already on our property. 

Posted Images

BossHog

Odette1521-Zoom.thumb.png.2928c24199756abadfa96ce42734c448.png

Siargao, where we Iive, gets name-checked in the below video. Talking 6-13 meter waves. Gulp! No real idea about storm intensity yet but should know more by tomorrow; a category 2 typhoon seems quite plausible. Very little variance in the track from all the different agencies right now. Looks like the southern part of Cebu island can expect some windy weather too.

Monday is going to be spent here trimming trees around the house and getting plywood and nails ready to board up by Wednesday.

This one's worth watching and preparing for if you're in the projected track. Unexpected rapid intensification is a hallmark of Philippine Sea storms.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 3
BossHog

Warning #2 issued by the JTWC this afternoon has Odette strengthening a bit. 90 knot winds forecast right around landfall.

Looks like you can add Bohol, Dumaguete, and Palawan to the list of places expecting typhoon force winds..

893277058_wp2821(1).thumb.gif.7e9fc806595c6e464864f8b8cecbe4a4.gif

Edited by BossHog
updated warning
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BossHog said:

Warning #2 issued by the JTWC this afternoon has Odette strengthening a bit. 90 knot winds forecast right around landfall.

Looks like you can add Bohol, Dumaguete, and Palawan to the list of places expecting typhoon force winds..

893277058_wp2821(1).thumb.gif.7e9fc806595c6e464864f8b8cecbe4a4.gif

shite

BossHog

There's been a slight shift to the north and the current track suggests Metro Cebu will feel the effects of Typhoon Odette late Thursday/early Friday...

rai.thumb.png.adadf22c8b69b5b590a532090b73f41c.png

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

PAGASA's showing it crossing the middle of Bohol then crossing Cebu south of Carcar and continuing west near Ronda. I think it's really too soon to tell with a lot of precision.

Edited by Jay
add more info
  • Like 2
BossHog
4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's really too soon to tell with a lot of precision.

Of course. Everyone understands that forecast tracks will change over time. I mean, this storm is still some 1150 km east of Mindanao and way out in the Pacific right now. No way to tell precisely which villages or towns will be impacted three days in the future!

That being said, the model consensus has been unusually tight with this particular cyclone.

RAI.thumb.png.69852a8dd773c8326b5649fbde1a46b3.png

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting, my wife is very concerned when a storm hits.  

• Like 1
BossHog

No boat travel in the yellow and blue areas...

signal.thumb.jpg.d66a342d9fd236eefa907c923f601f13.jpg

Edited by BossHog
updated
  • Like 1
MarinePride

Mactan Island looks to be right in the center of the path, give or take a deviation of the actual track.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
BossHog
1 hour ago, MarinePride said:

Mactan Island looks to be right in the center of the path, give or take a deviation of the actual track.

Between all the different models and agencies I'm not seeing anything that doesn't call for a direct hit of a low-end Cat 2 typhoon on Metro Cebu around midnight on Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

Well, this is a bit unnerving. In the video below the meteorologist is pointing exactly at my house, haha.

And the very latest from the JTWC...

wp2821.thumb.gif.f5fefa3254c7bc0be2802843073cdecf.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
BossHog

28W RAI 211215 1800 9.4N 128.9E WPAC 115 944

Typhoon Odette undergoing explosive and unexpected intensification. Jumped from a Cat 2 to a Cat 4 in the past hour. Was 85 knots and now 115 knots.

Oh Faark!

rb-l.gif.776a84035f674e56616631e75db72b80.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 3