Any cautionary advice about Air BnB rentals in cebu

I have not used Air BnB previously. In upcoming days, i expect to travel the Cebu and some of the Air BnB rentals are quite reasonably priced and located. 

Have any members heard of any issues to be concerned about with such arrangements?

With a hotel, I’m familiar with the situation with regards to billing, payment etc.  Not so with Air BnB. 

5 hours ago, Jawny said:

I have not used Air BnB previously. In upcoming days, i expect to travel the Cebu and some of the Air BnB rentals are quite reasonably priced and located. 

Have any members heard of any issues to be concerned about with such arrangements?

With a hotel, I’m familiar with the situation with regards to billing, payment etc.  Not so with Air BnB. 

Just read the reviews of the host. It will give you an idea of who is behind the rental.

• Thanks 1
Chris24

I've used airbnb internationally half a dozen times with no issues.  Some of the units ended up being smaller than what I had gathered from the pictures, but that was just my western eyes making me assume western-sized rooms in the pics.  It helps to also check out the area using google map and especially google street view to look for things like what sorts of shops etc. are around the unit, what does the neighborhood look like, is there transportation, 7-11, grocery etc., as well as the sorts of cars / motorbikes parked nearby to give some insight into what sort of neighbors you will have.  

I greatly prefer to use Airbnb because of the neighborhood feel and ability to buy local food to cook at home, it is both a better and much cheaper way to travel vs. staying in hotels in my opinion.  I also look for units with good internet with wi-fi and a smart TV, with a bias toward condos with some degree of security.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
nothingbutquestions

In Cebu City, I stayed in a AIRBNB inside the Diplomat Hotel very near the circle. Great experience, great amenities, location, and staff.

Also used AIRBNB in Dipolog with great success.

• Thanks 1

Have used Airbnb all over the island of Cebu also in Manila, Taiwan and Cambodia.  If you are in doubt, book with a super host as they strive to make guests happy and don't want to tarnish their reputation.

Having a good host that's onsite (many hosts are remote and use a property manger/relative) is a bonus because they can direct you to local places, restos, points of interest, etc.

Edited by GwapoGuy
  • Thanks 1
Soupeod

Any cautionary advice about Air BnB rentals in cebu

I always think … Crabs, but thats me. 

• Haha 2
BossHog
10 hours ago, Soupeod said:

I always think … Crabs, but thats me. 

I always think...hidden spy cameras. But that's just me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HeyMike

I always perform for the hidden camera(s)... but that's just me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
12 hours ago, GwapoGuy said:

Have used Airbnb all over the island of Cebu also in Manila, Taiwan and Cambodia.  If you are in doubt, book with a super host as they strive to make guests happy and don't want to tarnish their reputation.

Having a good host that's onsite (many hosts are remote and use a property manger/relative) is a bonus because they can direct you to local places, restos, points of interest, etc.

What is a super host?

BossHog
14 hours ago, Jawny said:

What is a super host?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/828/what-is-a-superhost

What is a Superhost?
Superhosts are experienced hosts who provide a shining example for other hosts, and extraordinary experiences for their guests.

Once a host reaches Superhost status, a badgesuperhost (1).pngwill automatically appear on their listing and profile to help you identify them.

We check Superhosts’ activity four times a year, to ensure that the program highlights the people who are most dedicated to providing outstanding hospitality.

The Superhost Terms & Conditions apply. Airbnb doesn't endorse or sponsor any host, including Superhosts, or their listings.

• Thanks 1

Called a super host in Taiwan at the last minute from the train station because his ad said free pickup. 45 minutes later we were in his van heading to his house!

Great guy as his english was very good and he spent 20 years working in the USA.