2 factor verification with U.S. number in the Philippines

Fresh
10 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I was able to set up a US number to use with GV from the Philippines.

How? Not just any US number, it has to be an actual mobile # or landline in your name that they can verify.

11 hours ago, Chris24 said:

You might try checking with your bank(s) to see what they suggest while traveling abroad (and it's probably best to tell them "traveling").  Many banks and brokerages offer secure 2FA via a "soft" security token -- an app that you install on your mobile device.

How do they confirm identity? 

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Fresh said:

How? Not just any US number, it has to be an actual mobile # or landline in your name that they can verify.

I don't think so. If I  call my regular cell it just shows my number. When you set up an account, you give them your number and they send a code to show that's the right number you have access to. Then after that they consider that your number. They don't check the caller ID which can be faked.

Chris24
13 hours ago, Fresh said:

How do they confirm identity? 

Not sure if you mean when you initially call them to ask about what soft token options they have, or later when you set it up, or even later when you are using the soft token to authenticate.  Initially he can of course go in person and provide ID, or if calling in he can provide verifying info such as answering security questions or providing recent account activity.  At setup they text him a link to install the soft token on his mobile device, and then separately they text an activation link to lock that soft token to his unique device.  And then afterward the soft token generates a very-short-duration code that he uses to confirm identity each time he logs into his account. 

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 2
Fresh
On 11/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, SkyMan said:

When you set up an account, you give them your number and they send a code

Unless that number you give is not an actual US mobile or landline number, because it will give an error that you can't use it.

Also Google Voice won't work with some banks or PayPal or any service that requires a real US number.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:06 PM, Chris24 said:

if calling in he can provide verifying info such as answering security questions or providing recent account activity.

Great if the bank allows it, the problem is if they don't and require a US number to text to confirm identity first.

A call forwarding service like kall8 or Google Voice can receive texts from some banks, but not other banks who require an actual mobile number registered in your name. With these other banks, if you're lucky there will be a second option of getting a call with the security code message, and then you can forward the service number to your PH number to receive the call.

But if they need a code, I don't think there's an easy solution.

Edited by Fresh
Soupeod
7 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Also Google Voice won't work with some banks or PayPal or any service that requires a real US number.

Mine works with paypal

8 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Unless that number you give is not an actual US mobile or landline number, because it will give an error that you can't use it.

I didn’t get an error with coverme voip app

Fresh
18 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Mine works with paypal

To get security codes?  PayPal accepts service numbers for accounts, but they make it clear that if it's a security issue, they will not send an SMS to any number that can't be verified with name and/or address. I'll check out coverme

samatm
On 11/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, Pman said:

I’m keeping my usa sim. T-Mobile. I have unlimited calling to usa for 50$ US per month. 

$600 bucks a year is a  pricey solution but if it works for you.. more power!      I use Skype and have a US number and have had no problem  getting into my US Bank account. about  $7/ month.       The Bank will robo call my Skype number which i answer on my cellphone.. and then I  key in code.

Also my friends and family in the US can call me .. with  no  Long distance charges. 

Cheers

• Like 2
MarinePride

I use an app called "DingTone" to maintain a US number, other countries are available too.  It's completely free, but you need to accumulate a certain number of points to get the free telephone number.  It might take you a week to complete the challenges to get the number, but it was worth it for me and you might sharpen your brain doing the challenges or watching the videos.  Available at the Google Play Store or on Apple.

SkyMan

Most of the 2 factor authentications either go through email or the associated app. 

smokey

Have same drama the code only sent to us phone Wells says they have a device I can get that works so go to ur branch I usually laugh u can deposit a check if u open a dollar acct the fee is 35 dollars and takes 3 weeks

Edited by smokey