2 factor verification with U.S. number in the Philippines

KeninCebu

I am getting close to my arrival in the Philippines and am getting desperate to find a 2 factor verification solution for U.S. banking Etc. I've scoured forums and can't find a solution. People there have U.S. bank accounts so folks must have found some solution. I have an account in the U.K. I will never be able to get back into unless I go there so I am pretty scared of this issue. 

U.S. banks and some other providers won't forward 2 factor verification and they won't send to foreign numbers. They won't work on VOIP providers. Some banks will use email but most won't. U.S. based carriers will kick you off after a period of time not being in the states. So the obvious solution would be a prepaid sim that works in the Philippines and won't kick you off after a time. I have been unable to find one.

cvgtpc1

Can't 2 factor verify with an email address?

mikecon3
20 minutes ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Can't 2 factor verify with an email address?

Some will allow it to be set up that way. Some will allow you to receive a voice message instead of SMS.

In Saudi, I would use my magicjack, which had my US home phone number, and I would get a voice message where they would say the numbers. Magicjack is VOIP, and they say bank codes may not go through as an SMS, but as I said, I would just answer the phone when they called and the computer would pronounce the code. I believe I have used this method not only with my bank but with the Social Security Administration as well.

• Like 1
KeninCebu

Many banks don't have these options. And then there's the problem of forgetting about needing access to some company/bank Etc. until you need it. I'm also locked out of an old email account this way. 

I'm specifically hoping anyone knows of a U.S. based GSM sim phone company that will work in the Philippines and won't cut you off after being out of the states continuously for a while. That's the safest future proof solution. If such a provider exists.

Daddle

I do all my banking thru a brokerage that uses either a key-fob or phone app to create the second factor. Works well. E*Trade in the states. 

Pman

I’m keeping my usa sim. T-Mobile. I have unlimited calling to usa for 50$ US per month. 

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Pman said:

I’m keeping my usa sim. T-Mobile. I have unlimited calling to usa for 50$ US per month. 

I was in Cebu last year for 2 months with my T-Mobile sim and towards the end I got a message about being on roam for too long or something but I was on my way back so I didn't worry about it. Might have been because was using it for data for a little while. It does do data but very slow. I did make some calls and they were NOT free. 

For 2 factor verification in the RP I have never had trouble using Google Voice except with the IRS.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
Fresh
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

For 2 factor verification in the RP I have never had trouble using Google Voice except with the IRS.

The problem with Google Voice is you need an existing US-based mobile or landline phone number to get it.

Another option are phone services like Kall8 or 4voice, these are easy to get and work for 2-factor / call forwarding.

GwapoGuy

Have been using Magic Jack for years. Works like your home phone number. :thumbs_up:

Pman
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I was in Cebu last year for 2 months with my T-Mobile sim and towards the end I got a message about being on roam for too long or something but I was on my way back so I didn't worry about it. Might have been because was using it for data for a little while. It does do data but very slow. I did make some calls and they were NOT free. 

They have a thing in their terms about you can’t use most of your data abroad. 

I get around that by using Philippine sim 99.9 % of the time. Only putting T-Mobile sim in to call USA. 

P.S. I’m paying 50$ on top of my normal bill for ab “add-on” that allows unlimited calls back to USA. Sorry if I was confusing in my wording. 

Chris24

You might try checking with your bank(s) to see what they suggest while traveling abroad (and it's probably best to tell them "traveling").  Many banks and brokerages offer secure 2FA via a "soft" security token -- an app that you install on your mobile device.   Unfortunately you may end up with several apps for your various accounts.

Or you might just keep your U.S. sim (maybe in a dual-sim cell phone).  If your U.S. data plan poses any problems you should still be able to connect to your banking wherever you have wi-fi signal for your cell to receive the security code.   

Is this going to be a scouting trip for you or are you making a long-term move right off the bat?  One of the advantages of a scouting trip is to test this sort of thing, you may find that your U.K. cell phone still works just fine.  My last visit to the Philippines was in 2016, but I was in Thailand just a month ago, but I found that my U.S. cell phone connected to the Thai local cellular network automatically, and that my U.S. plan already included unlimited international data, which was of course good for texts but also enabled me to use it as a wi-fi hot spot.      

As a bit of a side note I've become increasingly concerned about the potential for cell phone sim swapping / sim cloning, where a hacker replicates your sim and begins receiving your text messages, for the specific purpose of gaining access to accounts.  It does happen and there is often no recourse after the hackers clean out your account.  So I've migrated to 2FA methods that don't rely on an SMS text.  I've also started using a VPN for banking etc. when traveling, both for increased security and to avoid connecting to banking etc. from a foreign IP address.

Edited by Chris24
SkyMan
6 hours ago, Fresh said:

The problem with Google Voice is you need an existing US-based mobile or landline phone number to get it.

I was able to set up a US number to use with GV from the Philippines. A member here had a how to blog.

• Thanks 1
Soupeod
32 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I was able to set up a US number to use with GV from the Philippines. A member here had a how to blog.

Adding to Skyman’s post, I have Google voice connected to the coverme app($5 a month) us phone number on my phone and get txt or calls all the time.

My Advice, get a good bank like USAA.  You can use GV there.

Ive also made calls using skype to the US in the past.

Edited by Soupeod
  • Thanks 1
James Bond

Google Fi is another international-friendly US carrier. I haven't heard of any limits on roaming with it.

Also, just use a different method of 2FA, like Google Authenticator. It's more secure anyway than SMS anyway (SIMs get switched by hackers all the time).

Pman
9 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Adding to Skyman’s post, I have Google voice connected to the coverme app($5 a month) us phone number on my phone and get txt or calls all the time.

My Advice, get a good bank like USAA.  You can use GV there.

Ive also made calls using skype to the US in the past.

Yea get USAA if you can (military). 

USAA wants to send me a one time code to my cell every time I call them though. So I put in my T-Mobile sim to call them.

Don’t know if they will send it to email. They might. But sometimes doing things online it forces you to get one time pin from cell and won’t send to email.  Guess you could call for those things…???