SkyMan

Never bought it before but considering it for my next trip. How useful is it?  The selection says I'm covered if I'm sick and can't fly but do they just take my word for it or would I need a doctor's note or a hospitalization report or what?  Has anyone used it or do people just buy it for peace of mind but never use it?

• Like 2
Daddle

I have heard (for what that is worth) that it can be hard to collect. The fine print is all in favor of the vendor. Interpreted in the strictest way possible. However it seems like a good idea in the present conditions. But I noticed that the date rules (PAL) have recently become quite less onerous regarding date changes. 

• Like 2
Jester

I Looked into this a couple years ago and decided against it.  Beware of the ones calling themselves trip interruption protection, travel guard etc.  They eliminate the word insurance so they are not encumbered by laws governing insurance company's.  Most will go to any lengths to avoid paying a claim.  

There are some good company's but are very expensive and all of the ones I looked at exclude pre existing condition's.  Most of what might happen to me is pre existing   LOL. 

Might want to look at credit card travel protection while you are at it.

• Like 1
cookie47
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

just buy it for peace of mind but never use it?

Yes,  Had it for most trips (say every two years) in the last 20 years. Never made a claim. Probably could of just saved the money and paid cash with the amount you pay. But now with covide it's look like some countries are going to make it compulsory  on arrival (like Singapore (not 100% sure if they will ask at immigration  though). Plus when you get to being a senior.. HA forget it. 

GwapoGuy

Friend of mine used travel insurance in the Alaskan bush successfully. Made a couple of claims but it was nothing serious.

Would think medical evacuation insurance would be paramount because I don't trust health care in various Asian countries.

• Like 1