Divorce Decree vs. Certificate of Divorce

KeninCebu

I am trying to understand what the government and local authorities in the Philippines need to see in terms of evidence of divorce to remarry there. Some states contract with vital check which issues a divorce certificate but not a divorce decree. What exactly is a divorce decree in comparison? Which is needed. When states have contracted with vital check it’s hard to find any other process online. 

A_Simple_Man
41 minutes ago, KeninCebu said:

I am trying to understand what the government and local authorities in the Philippines need to see in terms of evidence of divorce to remarry there.

Unless things have changed recently, "You, the U.S. citizen will need an Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage which you can only get in person at the U.S. Embassy in Manila or at the U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu."

KeninCebu

They are now allowing for notarization of the affidavit in the Philippines. The embassy got tired of doing those. But I’ve read the divorce documents are also necessary. I’ve just seen different terms used and am confused about what is needed or how to get it. 

Headshot

Whatever your state issues is what is needed. A divorce certificate simply declares that you are divorced, while a divorce decree spells out all of the details of the divorce settlement. Whichever you have, you will need an original document (stamped or notarized or whatever). However, don't overthink it. Regardless of how well prepared you think you are, they will do their best to ask for something you don't have ... and possibly can't get. Most government processes are broken here, with far too many complications. That is why there are fixers.

• Like 4
Dutch
3 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Unless things have changed recently, "You, the U.S. citizen will need an Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage which you can only get in person at the U.S. Embassy in Manila or at the U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu."

You don't have to go to the embassy to get a certificate.
You can just print an affidavit, and notarize it with a local attorney for like 300 pesos.

• Like 3
M.C.A.
8 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

I am trying to understand what the government and local authorities in the Philippines need to see in terms of evidence of divorce to remarry there. Some states contract with vital check which issues a divorce certificate but not a divorce decree. What exactly is a divorce decree in comparison? Which is needed. When states have contracted with vital check it’s hard to find any other process online. 

Kevin just like one of the other guys posted, you need to get this divorce decree from the state divorced in, it has all the issues and split up of property ect.. and at the very back it's stamped by the records department of that state.  I had to do this for my wife she was divorced in WA State and so I had to go to the area she divorced in and I think it cost me $20 to get it printed and stamped I had to do that in order to get my 13a Visa routed in the US but wow good luck doing something like that here,  you're going need help from your family.  I was told that I could have it mailed to me also from WA State so you could request this from your state and then have it sent directly to you if they have an option for Federal Express $65 or if they can't do this hopefully you have a contact in the US that you could have it sent to and then have them send it to you Federal Express, you don't want to wait on the mail system for something like this.

Soupeod
10 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

You dont need anything from the USA. Period. Been there done that.

Do as Dutch said.