Expat Health Insurance Pre-Existing Conditions

KeninCebu

Hi all,

Can any members confirm insurance available for expats that won’t try to deny anything serious that might come along later as a pre-existing condition? I’ve read the horror stories of unjustified denials or non-renewals. It makes me wonder if ANY of the insurance available is worth having. I know the general advise to put money aside and that makes sense unless something catastrophic were to develop later on. I am too young for the fly to Guam on Medicare strategy.  From my research the only company I’ve found that promises not to exclude pre-existing conditions is https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com - probably because they are based out of the states and may be governed by the laws there - but they are also charging U.S. rates. Given the cost of healthcare in the Philippines that’s an outrageous rate to charge. I have compiled this list of insurance providers from different forums:

PhilHealth

Regency for Expats

AIA, Bupa,

Cigna Global Insurance 

IntegraGlobal

International Medical Group

GeoBlue Global Medical -  for US citizens abroad.

Allianz

Aetna International

Seven Corners and HCC

Thanks,

Ken

Kahuna

:welcome2:

Ozepete
21 minutes ago, KeninCebu said:

Hi all,

Can any members confirm insurance available for expats that won’t try to deny anything serious that might come along later as a pre-existing condition? I’ve read the horror stories of unjustified denials or non-renewals. It makes me wonder if ANY of the insurance available is worth having. I know the general advise to put money aside and that makes sense unless something catastrophic were to develop later on. I am too young for the fly to Guam on Medicare strategy.  From my research the only company I’ve found that promises not to exclude pre-existing conditions is https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com - probably because they are based out of the states and may be governed by the laws there - but they are also charging U.S. rates. Given the cost of healthcare in the Philippines that’s an outrageous rate to charge. I have compiled this list of insurance providers from different forums:

PhilHealth

Regency for Expats

AIA, Bupa,

Cigna Global Insurance 

IntegraGlobal

International Medical Group

GeoBlue Global Medical -  for US citizens abroad.

Allianz

Aetna International

Seven Corners and HCC

Thanks,

Ken

Best deal is:  "If in pain, catch a plane"   I wouldn't take a sick dog to get medical help in the Phils if its something potentially serious. 

• Like 2
KeninCebu

These discussions often get sidetracked. I can understand why. But that’s what makes it so hard to find a forum discussion that actually addresses the question. And I have searched several forums. Everyone’s situation is different. For a variety of reasons I would like the option of receiving care in the Philippines if the need were to arise. I’m at the point right now of having to decide if I purchase insurance. 

Soupeod
3 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

Everyone’s situation is different.

Exactly so many won’t answer because they have different insurance than what you seek. 

@Davaoeno has a civilian insurance here. He has posted it before in these forums. 

Soupeod
4 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

These discussions often get sidetracked. I can understand why. But that’s what makes it so hard to find a forum discussion that actually addresses the question. And I have searched several forums. Everyone’s situation is different. For a variety of reasons I would like the option of receiving care in the Philippines if the need were to arise. I’m at the point right now of having to decide if I purchase insurance. 

I forgot to ask, are you retired military? 
Some more info about you might help others recommend insurance.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
6 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Exactly so many won’t answer because they have different insurance than what you seek. 

@Davaoeno has a civilian insurance here. He has posted it before in these forums. 

I have Pacific Cross ( formerly Blue Cross).  I know it covers some annual medical and dental things but in 11 years I have never made a claim.  I'm 74 and my premium for 750,000 pesos   coverage and semi private hospital is just over 71000. ( paid over 6 months without interest).

It's 90% reimbursable. 

To answer the OP- I do have a minor pre-existing condition but I won't try to deny it later.

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
jcally99

Came across this post a few months ago about American living in Dumaguete, who had a pretty positive experience with the Filipino healthcare system dealing with cancer. Guy is an excellent writer and really gave the reader a true sense of what he went though.

Hope it helps.

https://www.marriedafilipina.com/2021/02/my-pi-cancer-adventure-part-1

• Like 2
fivestarph

I am 72 and have Pacific Cross Premier Private which is their plan for 66+ with a coverage of Peso1.5m at a current cost of Peso 111,595.00. 

I have considered to get Phil Health and put the balance into a fund especially with the Premiums once one reaches 80.

Premier.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I do have a minor pre-existing condition but I won't try to deny it later.

Over active Libido is not a pre-existing condition....

• Haha 6
enoonmai
13 hours ago, KeninCebu said:

Can any members confirm insurance available for expats that won’t try to deny anything serious that might come along later as a pre-existing condition?

I think you are going to find that any of the Philippines' insurance companies will deny a pre-existing condition claim unless the condition is stated at outset and approved by the company prior to start of coverage.

I had BC Philippines (later Pacific Cross) for 5 years; had 2 claims (neither pre-existing) both were paid out w/o major issues, the BC rep and agent both came to the hospitals and successfully navigated the chaos of the billing departments. I had in-patient coverage only.

There is no way to know for sure if any of them will pay for a pre-existing condition unless you apply and they approve - and even then they could try to weasel out of it. But I had a good overall experience with the aforementioned. 

• Thanks 1
KeninCebu

Pacific Cross is one of the companies that I have read very negative discussions of regarding pre-existing conditions and non-renewals. The worse part is that they don’t follow the normal notions of a pre-existing condition. They, and other companies, claim that anything that might have been incubating before the policy was purchase is therefore a pre-existing condition. That’s pretty much everything you would worry about except contagious diseases.

• Like 1
fivestarph
1 hour ago, KeninCebu said:

Pacific Cross is one of the companies that I have read very negative discussions of regarding pre-existing conditions and non-renewals. The worse part is that they don’t follow the normal notions of a pre-existing condition. They, and other companies, claim that anything that might have been incubating before the policy was purchase is therefore a pre-existing condition. That’s pretty much everything you would worry about except contagious diseases.

I have been with Pacific Cross for 20 years, had a couple of claims and no problems. This year because of Covid the surgeon proposed "day surgery" to avoid staying in a hospital. Pacific Cross have rejected the claim because it is treated as Out Patient. I am flabbergasted.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
6 hours ago, fivestarph said:

I have been with Pacific Cross for 20 years, had a couple of claims and no problems. This year because of Covid the surgeon proposed "day surgery" to avoid staying in a hospital. Pacific Cross have rejected the claim because it is treated as Out Patient. I am flabbergasted.

Check out clause 3.4  which says which outpatient procedures are treated as inpatient  for claims.  I see colonoscopy is on the list. I'm asking PC about it this week

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
fivestarph
14 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Check out clause 3.4  which says which outpatient procedures are treated as inpatient  for claims.  I see colonoscopy is on the list. I'm asking PC about it this week

Many thanks, I have looked at clause 3.4  and I confirm the surgery/procedure done was on their list. The crux of the matter is I believe the first sentence -                                                    "Subject to the Company's approval,"  this  gives them carte blanche to disapprove any Out-Patient surgery/procedures.                                                                                                             

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1