Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A_Simple_Man
On 10/14/2021 at 7:07 AM, Mangoshake said:

In case of an used car i would prefer buying a repossessed car directly from a bank

My bank manager in Dumaguete schooled me on doing that.  Its not as easy as you may think, but he drives a bank repo and works for them so his info is good.  Problem one: that bank keeps all its repos in Manila.  Problem two:  you have to go there to view the vehicle and make an offer.  Problem three:  you have to go back about 2 weeks later if the offer is accepted to take physical possession of the vehicle.  Problem four:  you have to get the vehicle from Manila to where you live and deal with the LTO while doing it.  I never got to problems five and above.  Too much trouble.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Brad

    8

  • Davaoeno

    7

  • cookie47

    4

  • SkyMan

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mentioned dealerships but didn't say if you want a new or used car from a dealer.  Assuming you want a used car: I have bought 9 cars here. Two in Manila,  4 in Cebu 2 in Davao and my current

Thankyou, Very interesting article and adds much weight to my argument concerning the safety of these vehicles and I'm mainly talking about the Two half Multicab vehicles.I wasn't aware of the Ho

I've bought and had reconditioned for resale a few thousand used cars in my career and can say with certainty that those who don't make their car payments don't perform regular maintenance. Bank repos

Mangoshake
15 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

My bank manager in Dumaguete schooled me on doing that.  Its not as easy as you may think, but he drives a bank repo and works for them so his info is good.  Problem one: that bank keeps all its repos in Manila.  Problem two:  you have to go there to view the vehicle and make an offer.  Problem three:  you have to go back about 2 weeks later if the offer is accepted to take physical possession of the vehicle.  Problem four:  you have to get the vehicle from Manila to where you live and deal with the LTO while doing it.  I never got to problems five and above.  Too much trouble.

There are repos also hold by banks in Cebu but you can’t test drive them. Buying new is certainly less headache.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
7 hours ago, Edwin said:

I've bought and had reconditioned for resale a few thousand used cars in my career and can say with certainty that those who don't make their car payments don't perform regular maintenance. Bank repos cost more to recondition than other cars and you will always be driving a car that wasn't taken care of. Repossessions from higher risk lenders are in even worse condition than those of normal banks. I would only buy a bank repo with very low mileage and I would use a paint depth gauge on any car I bought. I think it is better for a consumer to buy from a reputable local car dealer who reconditions his cars thoroughly before resale unless he is willing to take a huge risk with his money. All sellers lie. Find one with a reputation to protect.

I agree with you 100%-  in a North American setting. However in my experience it does not apply in the Philippines.   Maintenance is almost non existent here ( sometimes even during the warranty period) and nobody seems to give a damnabout reputation- now or in the future!

You aren't in Kansas anymore Edwin!  The market here is unlike anything you have ever experienced.

Of course that comment applies in almost all markets here-not just the vehicle market.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, SkyMan said:

Hi Brad, eh?  Welcome to LinC. I think a vehicle to Mindanao is over $100.  Are you planning to live in the RP? Have you driven here before? 

Yes i drove a honda beat and honda fit a lot in the area i'm in. 

I won't be living the Philippines permanently.

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks folks, are all the multicabs chopped up before they leave japan? 

Any reputable dealerships in the Cebu area?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BossHog
15 minutes ago, Brad said:

are all the multicabs chopped up before they leave japan? 

They gotta be. Japs drive on the wrong side of the road same as the Brits.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
A_Simple_Man
20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thanks folks, are all the multicabs chopped up before they leave japan? 

The steering wheel is on the right side in Japan so they all must be cut up and reassembled with the steering wheel on the left

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

They gotta be. Japs drive on the wrong side of the road same as the Brits.

 WRONG SIDE...,Nope,,, You (Henry Ford) changed it along with the French. 

Edited by cookie47
Update
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BossHog
1 hour ago, Brad said:

I won't be living the Philippines permanently.

Might as well get a beater multi-cab then. Easier to maintain than a car as the mechanics know their way around them and parts are everywhere. 160-180k pesos will get you something that will get you around. Sell it when you leave. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I might just get a Honda TMX 150 for this trip, my first in over 2 years!

Most of my driving in is the countryside.

Has anyone here bought a honda TMX? I noticed the back sprocket it very large for torque. Anyone switch it out to a smaller one?

I'm going to buy a new car in a few years i think. Good mechanics aren't easy to come by in my parts.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Might as well get a beater multi-cab then. Easier to maintain than a car as the mechanics know their way around them and parts are everywhere. 160-180k pesos will get you something that will get you around. Sell it when you leave. 

I might. i was looking for the 1.3 liter every.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

cut up and reassembled with the steering wheel on the left

Yes.I have a right to left side conversion (steering conversion Only Not cut up) from Japan (Suzuki Esqudo (or Vitara in other regions).. Unfortunately with most of these conversions the quality is Shhhht, Welding two halves of a vehicle back together and the changing (often welding which is a big no no of steering components from side to side often ends up with steering geometry issues. I got mine CHEAP.and new what I was getting into and as a mechanic have the ability to fix it.Of course people will say ARE there are plenty out their YES .Would I recommend buying one ??.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

Japs drive on the wrong side of the road same as the Brits.

Well, not the wrong side of the road but certainly not the 'right' side!

My multi-cab has steering on the left but the turn signals are on the right side of the column. When I first got it I was constantly turning on the wipers when I wanted to signal!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
35 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Well, not the wrong side of the road but certainly not the 'right' side!

My multi-cab has steering on the left but the turn signals are on the right side of the column. When I first got it I was constantly turning on the wipers when I wanted to signal!

Yeah but you get used to it. Even now when I switch between them it only takes one or 2 wineries to get back on track.  :thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah but you get used to it.

Mostly yeh,But Just think of me as a Vehicle inspector. Daily job list could be 

Australian car 

British car 

European car 

Japanese car.

And placement changes also depending on era of manufacture.🥴🥴

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...