Hi folks, my name is Brad, i'm from Canada. I have a young 3 year old daughter in the Daptain city area and i will finally be visiting this coming December.

Are there any good dealerships in Cebu? And what is the fee to go across on the ferry with a car to Mindanao?

Lastly, anyone here have any recommendations for used cars in Ozamiz City?

• Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad

• Davaoeno

• cookie47

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mentioned dealerships but didn't say if you want a new or used car from a dealer.  Assuming you want a used car: I have bought 9 cars here. Two in Manila,  4 in Cebu 2 in Davao and my current

Thankyou, Very interesting article and adds much weight to my argument concerning the safety of these vehicles and I'm mainly talking about the Two half Multicab vehicles.I wasn't aware of the Ho

I've bought and had reconditioned for resale a few thousand used cars in my career and can say with certainty that those who don't make their car payments don't perform regular maintenance. Bank repos

SkyMan

Hi Brad, eh?  Welcome to LinC. I think a vehicle to Mindanao is over $100.  Are you planning to live in the RP? Have you driven here before? 

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kahuna

:welcome2:

• Like 2
BossHog
5 hours ago, Brad said:

Your best bet for used cars in that general area would be Cagayan de Oro. It's not all that far from Ozamiz (about 160km) and there are an abundance of new and used car dealerships there. Being an international port, in CDO you can also pick up something like a surplus multi-cab at a good price. 

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
Goetz1965

The One and only advice when buying a used car here: Know a GOOD MECHANIC and bring him with you to check the car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007
33 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

The One and only advice when buying a used car here: Know a GOOD MECHANIC and bring him with you to check the car!

agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soupeod
10 hours ago, Brad said:

Hi folks, my name is Brad, i'm from Canada. I have a young 3 year old daughter in the Daptain city area and i will finally be visiting this coming December.

Are there any good dealerships in Cebu? And what is the fee to go across on the ferry with a car to Mindanao?

Just an FYI, before buying a car in Oz. Cebu or CdO might be better destinations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/05/world/asia/philippines-kidnapping-british-man-militants.html

Many articles about Abu Sayaf and BIFF are searchable on Google; Recommended reading.  Not all of Mindanao is dangerous,  but looks like you’re getting close.

https://www.acaps.org/country/philippines/crisis/mindanao-conflict

Edited by Soupeod
Davaoeno

You mentioned dealerships but didn't say if you want a new or used car from a dealer.  Assuming you want a used car:

I have bought 9 cars here. Two in Manila,  4 in Cebu 2 in Davao and my current car in Iloilo. (Mostly bank repos).

Go to Cebu City to buy a car. Then drive it south to Bato and take the ferry to Dipolog.

Go to the ferry office in Cebu City to book and pay for the trip. You can also do it at the ferry terminal at Bato but you aren't guaranteed there will be space available.

I did the trip 3x.The ferry used to arrive  in Dipolog around midnight.  Do not stay in Dipolog ( or go anywhere south of there). Instead drive to Dapitan and stay there. ( I usually stayed at the Travelbee)   Next morning drive to Ozamis

Your alternative is to take Transasia  ferry from Cebu City to CDO. Much nicer ferry and more comfortable trip but costs more. It leaves Cebu around 7pm and arrives in CDO  at 6am ( but takes until about 8 am to get vehicles unloaded). Transasia will deliver the tickets to your hotel in Cebu..  

I did 3 or 4 trips with Transasia

[ I now see that the title says Used Car !!!  hehe ]

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 7
Davaoeno

If you want a new car I suggest you go to a dealership in Ozamis.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
4 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

If you want a new car I suggest you go to a dealership in Ozamis.  

I know with a new motorcycle you have to wait for the registration numbers to come in. Sometimes months before you can take a ferry. Is it the same with a new car?

• Like 3
Davaoeno
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

I know with a new motorcycle you have to wait for the registration numbers to come in. Sometimes months before you can take a ferry. Is it the same with a new car?

Not sure- I never buy new 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Dutch
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

No, took a ferry trip to Leyte with dealer plates and no OR/CR, just an invoice from the dealership, was no problem.
Registration only took about a month with my car though, with my motorcycle it took like 4 months.

• Like 2
Mangoshake

In case of an used car i would prefer buying a repossessed car directly from a bank then buying an used car from some car trader shop/private owner. I think there is a bigger chance this way that the mileage on the car is genuine and that all car documentations are correct.

Davaoeno
22 hours ago, Mangoshake said:

In case of an used car i would prefer buying a repossessed car directly from a bank then buying an used car from some car trader shop/private owner. I think there is a bigger chance this way that the mileage on the car is genuine and that all car documentations are correct.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
Edwin

I've bought and had reconditioned for resale a few thousand used cars in my career and can say with certainty that those who don't make their car payments don't perform regular maintenance. Bank repos cost more to recondition than other cars and you will always be driving a car that wasn't taken care of. Repossessions from higher risk lenders are in even worse condition than those of normal banks. I would only buy a bank repo with very low mileage and I would use a paint depth gauge on any car I bought. I think it is better for a consumer to buy from a reputable local car dealer who reconditions his cars thoroughly before resale unless he is willing to take a huge risk with his money. All sellers lie. Find one with a reputation to protect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3