Sabin Resort, Ormoc City, Leyte

Soupeod

Wow! Great food, outside dining, pool, landscape and more.  The service and food has greatly improved since the last time I was there a few years ago.

A nice breeze and cooler temps due to the LPA this weekend was also nice. 80F/27C

D29595D8-45F3-4293-BBCF-0D50F29180A6.png

9FC38DAB-D6C9-4DE4-A35A-0DA8FC037BEE.png

46BBBE8D-A98D-42BC-AA6D-0A3D77D3253D.png

0AC46D88-32C6-4F40-9DB3-CE672A11482A.png

851B3D58-8BBB-48B5-9B59-574D48DCF1FB.png

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

It does look like a nice spot! But who puts a few kernels of canned corn on a rack of spareribs? Does that make it vegan?

Edited by BossHog
  • Haha 1
Soupeod
19 minutes ago, BossHog said:

It does look like a nice spot! But who puts a few kernels of canned corn on a rack of spareribs? Does that make it vegan?

I don’t know, but I assure you those ribs tasted like God send vs most crap I’ve tasted in the Pi.  😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
cvgtpc1

Thanks for the suggestion for next time we're in Tacloban.  Just wish you didn't have to drive around Leyte to get there lol

Soupeod

Tacloban, try the Rosvenil Hotel or the Ironwood next door. Ironwood has a nice rooftop lounge.

to_dave007

I wonder if this is a result of the need for domestic tourism..  here in cebu province the number of places that serve decent food..  even GOOD food.  and GOOD coffee has skyrocketed in last 18 months.  several places within 2 km serve GREAT coffee and food that was unheard of here before...  AND they are busy enough to be making money.

• Like 3
to_dave007
12 hours ago, Soupeod said:

those ribs tasted like God send vs most crap I’ve tasted in the Pi.  😊

To me it's always been a big surprise that it's SO HARD to find good ribs in a country which kills so many pigs and with such a big american influence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Daddle
6 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

To me it's always been a big surprise that it's SO HARD to find good ribs in a country which kills so many pigs and with such a big american influence.

Yes, sad. Same with bacon, prosciutto, salami, etc. Is it because there is no need to preserve foods for later, winter, consumption?

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
2 hours ago, Daddle said:

Is it because there is no need to preserve foods for later, winter, consumption?

They don't understand how to use spices. One of our family members is an excellent cook and everyone's excited when she hosts an event. She came over for a casual dinner and I served Pork Loin with a variety of spices and she flipped! I gave her a jar of Tony Cashin's and can of Old Bay out of my stash and she's been going crazy since. Now whenever I come from the West to here I have to supply her with new and "exotic" spices to try.

They tend to use vegetables and marinade for seasoning and it offers very little variety.

• Like 5
Chris24
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

They don't understand how to use spices. One of our family members is an excellent cook and everyone's excited when she hosts an event. She came over for a casual dinner and I served Pork Loin with a variety of spices and she flipped! I gave her a jar of Tony Cashin's and can of Old Bay out of my stash and she's been going crazy since. Now whenever I come from the West to here I have to supply her with new and "exotic" spices to try.

They tend to use vegetables and marinade for seasoning and it offers very little variety.

Not to stray (too far) from topic, but I agree with you.  I've grilled ribs many times for my family, first starting with just their soy/garlic/vinegar/calamansi marinade, but later introducing some of the American approaches to ribs.     They definitely don't like BBQ sauce, but they do like many of the dry rubs if they don't see beforehand how much I'm using.   They also don't like mustard on anything as it is alien to them, but they loved the slow- smoked ribs with a thick mustard rub (made a batch, half with mustard and half with a dry rub, and they devoured both).  This I bought a pellet smoker and will be doing some more experimenting.

• Like 1
Daddle
On 10/11/2021 at 12:28 AM, Soupeod said:

Wow! Great food, outside dining, pool, landscape and more.  The service and food has greatly improved since the last time I was there a few years ago.

A nice breeze and cooler temps due to the LPA this weekend was also nice. 80F/27C

D29595D8-45F3-4293-BBCF-0D50F29180A6.png

9FC38DAB-D6C9-4DE4-A35A-0DA8FC037BEE.png

46BBBE8D-A98D-42BC-AA6D-0A3D77D3253D.png

0AC46D88-32C6-4F40-9DB3-CE672A11482A.png

851B3D58-8BBB-48B5-9B59-574D48DCF1FB.png

This resort looks fabulous (By the way, back on the subject). Reminds me that the wifey and I need to get back to traveling the islands. Only been to Leyte once, briefly, and only Bato at that. Maybe a good reason to finally buy a car until I can get the sailboat back across the Pacific.

• Like 2