11 Reasons You Don't Want to Retire in Florida

jaybee747
On 10/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, Salty Dog said:

All this is true and as a lifelong Floridian, I suggest you only come to Florida to take in the sites, then return to your homes elsewhere... 

Your list was probably tongue in cheek but many took the opportunity to take swipe at Florida...

KMonde

No need to defend a place where you live. Entirely your choice. Not for everyone. Some don't want to sink (get it?) their money into Florida real estate.

• Haha 1
Pman

Better add genetically altered Mosquitoes to your list Salty...

…oh never mind, now half the people are genetically altered too. 

• Haha 1
Edwin

There are swarms of noseeums that will feed on your flesh when you go outdoors. The people smell like suntan lotion, bug spray or street tacos. Every day there's a crazy headline that starts with, "Florida Man...", and to top it off there are nudist colonies full of 75 year old hippies.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
KID

One of my ex live in's daughter is manager of a high end retirement community's country club  near Spinghill FL ---- she hates the flood of arrogant NewYorkers flooding the area--- ready to move back to Texas

KMonde
1 hour ago, Edwin said:

There are swarms of noseeums that will feed on your flesh when you go outdoors. The people smell like suntan lotion, bug spray or street tacos. Every day there's a crazy headline that starts with, "Florida Man...", and to top it off there are nudist colonies full of 75 year old hippies.

Omg yes, the no-see-ums should be #1 on the list of reasons not to move to Flori-duh. And the nudists walking around wearing this.

FA0BE63C-BE66-4562-8880-B9EB0FC9C595.png

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Every day there's a crazy headline that starts with, "Florida Man...", and to top it off there are nudist colonies full of 75 year old hippies.

There is a book by Dave Barry.

Best. State. Ever.: A Florida Man Defends His Homeland.

Not sure if he suceeded in his defense or added fuel to the fire.

I'm sure Floridians are tired of America's calling Flori-duh a cultural wasteland and being the butt of jokes, but this book is funny.

RogerDuMond
46 minutes ago, KMonde said:

Omg yes, the no-see-ums should be #1 on the list of reasons not to move to Flori-duh.

Lived in Florida (S.E. coast) for close to 20 years before moving to the Philippines and never saw a single no-see-um, but they were a scourge in upstate N.Y.

jaybee747
9 hours ago, KMonde said:

Some don't want to sink (get it?) their money into Florida real estate.

Yes, Florida real estates prices sky rocketed during the last few years, especially in south florida, the price of my miami condo I bought around 5 years ago almost doubled, usualy there are 15 condos for sale and 5 for rent in my building, right now only 3 condos left for sale and none for rent , so people are snapping up properties around here and I admit cost of living is rising, not everyone can afford it.  

"Florida Realtors’ data: Median prices for single-family existing homes rose 20.3% year-over-year to $355,000; up 20.5% to $253,000 for condos/townhomes"

https://www.floridarealtors.org/news-media/news-articles/2021/08/flas-housing-market-median-price-new-listings-rise-july#:~:text=Florida Realtors' data%3A Median prices,to %24253%2C000 for condos%2Ftownhomes.

Soupeod

Florida has some crazies…

————

Trail Camera Caught Man's Illicit Horseplay

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/animals/vero-beach-barn-bust-015728

OCTOBER 12--Suspecting that someone had entered a barn on her property without permission, a Florida Woman set up a trail camera that subsequently recorded a laborer having repeated sexual contact with a horse housed in the structure, police report.

• Haha 3
Pman
16 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

Florida has some crazies…

————

Trail Camera Caught Man's Illicit Horseplay

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/animals/vero-beach-barn-bust-015728

OCTOBER 12--Suspecting that someone had entered a barn on her property without permission, a Florida Woman set up a trail camera that subsequently recorded a laborer having repeated sexual contact with a horse housed in the structure, police report.

He was just horsing around….

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pman said:

He was just horsing around….

I've heard of sheep boots but not horse boots :shocked: