Jump to content

Looking for guy ring for antenna mast


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where I can find a guy ring for an antenna mast here in metro Cebu?? I don't know what size I need until the mast arrives. (Actually, it's the telescopic aluminum alloy pole for a pruning saw since I couldn't find proper telescopic masts either.) I'm just trying to find a source for them for now.

I searched Lazada but all I find is men's costume jewelry and a few (ahem) sex toys.

 

guy-ring-mast-white_3_large.jpg

Edited by Jay
Clarified the title
Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anyone know where I can find a guy ring for an antenna mast here in metro Cebu?? I don't know what size I need until the mast arrives. (Actually, it's the telescopic aluminum alloy pole for a pruning saw since I couldn't find proper telescopic masts either.) I'm just trying to find a source for them for now.

I searched Lazada but all I find is men's costume jewelry and a few (ahem) sex toys.

 

guy-ring-mast-white_3_large.jpg

Is it possible that you are spelling it wrong and that is why you are having trouble finding it? Might it be a guide ring and not a guy ring?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Is it possible that you are spelling it wrong and that is why you are having trouble finding it? Might it be a guide ring and not a guy ring?

No, it's for mounting guy wires (wire rope) to an antenna mast which are then secured to something further down and at an angle, and made taut with turnbuckles to help stabilize the mast in wind. Guys are also known as stays. It's the same principle as on sailboat masts. Ham radio operators probably know what they are and there are a few on the forum, I think.

Edited by Jay
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would except BDO only lets me purchase items in Philippine pesos using my ATM card. Same thing for doing a cash-in to PayPal.  That's why I'm in search of sources here in the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, Jay said:

It would except BDO only lets me purchase items in Philippine pesos using my ATM card. Same thing for doing a cash-in to PayPal.  That's why I'm in search of sources here in the country.

You can pay for most items on Ebay Philippines with pesos even though the price may be listed in another currency. With PayPal, " Just sign up at www.paypal.com and select “Philippines” as the country. Make sure to select “Philippine Peso” as the primary currency. PayPal accounts are FREE and you can link any bank checking or savings account to your PayPal account."

Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond

For BDO and PayPal,

Quote

Go to the “Profile” link which can be found in the Account tab and then select “My Money” from the drop-down list. 3. Find the bank account section, click “Update” link and fill up the edit fields with your bank account information, including BDO bank code for PayPal.

https://howpo.info/banks/ultimate-guide-linking-bdo-to-paypal/

Link to post
Share on other sites
cvgtpc1

On our bamboo antenna pole in the 80s we'd use this if we were being fancy...:P

image.png.fa4b2812929c8442e39761cac8780c8b.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

At BDO only US dollar accounts work with PayPal and their debit cards be used to pay for items in other currencies. Peso savings accounts can only receive money from PayPal, not pay for things. Same for peso debit cards. I don't have said dollar account and can't open one just yet. I've tried to use my peso debit card for online purchases and with PayPal and the transactions are rejected by the bank. That's why I asked if anyone knew of a local source for these and other radio and antenna stuff. I already know about eBay, Amazon, etc. and if I was able to get things from there I'd have done so and wouldn't have posted here. :)

I'd ideally like to find a radio and electronics shop sort of thing, or an outfit that installs i.e TV and/or 4G antennas, satellite dishes or anything like that that also sells retail, or something. There are ham radio operators in the Philippines and I've even heard them on the 40 meter HF band. They can't transmit without antennas, antennas for HF need masts or towers or something, and the hams must buy their parts and stuff from somewhere. They can't all have dollar accounts and use Amazon and eBay.

Edited by Jay
Corrected some pre-coffee typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jay said:

At BDO only US dollar accounts work with PayPal and their debit cards be used to pay for items in other currencies. Peso savings accounts can only receive money from PayPal, not pay for things. Same for peso debit cards

It's too late to edit my previous post but I also verified that this is true with BDO customer support. Only US dollar account ATM cards can be used as if they were normal Visa cards. Peso account ATMs can only be used for in-country transactions. It's the same thing for transferring money to foreign bank accounts: dollar accounts can, peso accounts can't, but they can transfer money to other Philippine banks. (It's almost as though the Philippine peso isn't a convertible currency, like the Soviet ruble wasn't.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may just use a hose clamp to secure my guy wire rope sections to my mast. I can put thimbles at the top end of them and clamp them to the mast just below the thimbles so they don't slip out from underneath, I suppose. When all else fails, lower your expectations. *Shrug*

Link to post
Share on other sites
RogerDuMond
27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I may just use a hose clamp to secure my guy wire rope sections to my mast. I can put thimbles at the top end of them and clamp them to the mast just below the thimbles so they don't slip out from underneath, I suppose. When all else fails, lower your expectations. *Shrug*

How about making one using a plumbing flange and threaded pipe?

flange.thumb.jpg.a3ac6d9b074c4a34c4560c2fec585226.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

In addition to Roger’s suggestion, perhaps you could get a local ironworks or welder to make this?

2070058266_MastAccessoriesampKitsOnEasyUp.jpg.thumb.png.23a8f305394515093f8f162dc266918c.png
 

Alternatively, you could try Galleon. They sourced some unavailable here drain parts from the US for me.

Galleon take payments through Dragonpay in pesos.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paddy said:

In addition to Roger’s suggestion, perhaps you could get a local ironworks or welder to make this?

2070058266_MastAccessoriesampKitsOnEasyUp.jpg.thumb.png.23a8f305394515093f8f162dc266918c.png
 

Alternatively, you could try Galleon. They sourced some unavailable here drain parts from the US for me.

Galleon take payments through Dragonpay in pesos.

 

 

Wow, thank you! Galleon is just the sort of place I was looking for and they sell these very ones. Now I just need to wait until my mast arrives so I know for sure what its diameter is and what size guy ring I should order. (Only bad part is Galleon sources them from overseas, probably the US, so shipping will take a few weeks. Better late than never though, I suppose.)

Thanks again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
2 hours ago, Jay said:

so shipping will take a few weeks.

Yes. The parts I ordered came from the US factory and did take a while. They were also much more expensive than if I had been able to walk into a US Home Depot etc and just pick them up off the shelf. However, they got here and were exactly what I needed. 

Edited by Paddy
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...