Mens Health Checkup

samatm

Im 58.. never had an over 50 checkup and I want to stay on top of things.   Any Suggestions on good clinic or doc.     Should I do a Prostate exam or just a blood test.  I have heard some negatives on doing a PSA.. like false positive readings etc.. ?

Also I guess a colonoscopy will be recommended.  Has anybody had  positive experience getting one?  If in Cebu Where?    Anything else I should check out beside the usual Blood pressure,  Blood sugar equations.?

Thanks for any advice or tips or recommendations

Edited by samatm
  • Like 2
cookie47

10 years ago I had a negative prostate biopsy after my GP got spooked when my PSA climbed from 4 to 5 in a year.And the blood test I was having was for something else completely.There has been a change in direction slightly with PSA biopsies and although still carried out different markers are used.Also parts of the medical profession say that obtaining a biopsy sample has risks (I guess that's stating the obvious) . Anyway the Urologists said not enough evidence ,Go away and enjoy myself. BTW I can pee like a horse...I do my own blood pressure "whenever" but that has drawbacks as you can get paranoid if its up a bit.I was advised to have colonoscopy once but never pushed through..... Sorry  I can't comment about who and where to go and see in PH..A link below talking about PSA..

This was in Melbourne Australia BTW...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-psa-reliable-20110327214

Edited by cookie47
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
rfm010
9 hours ago, samatm said:

Im 58.. never had an over 50 checkup and I want to stay on top of things.   Any Suggestions on good clinic or doc.     Should I do a Prostate exam or just a blood test.  I have heard some negatives on doing a PSA.. like false positive readings etc.. ?

Also I guess a colonoscopy will be recommended.  Has anybody had  positive experience getting one?  If in Cebu Where?    Anything else I should check out beside the usual Blood pressure,  Blood sugar equations.?

Thanks for any advice or tips or recommendations

good on ya.   too many people willing to spend whatever to maintain their house, car, computer, mistress, but go cheap when it comes to their body.

think of your checkup as establishing a baseline to refer to as you get older.  so do a thorough job now, and if all goes well, many things won't need repeating for 10 years or so and by then there may all sorts of new developments for testing and treating.

being in metro manila i can't recommend where to go, a tertiary hospital should be able to handle most of below,  a good diagnostic lab the blood/urine tests.  some of the less common tests are a bit pricey but you are getting old and not catching something early will cost more later.

colonoscopy.  dying of colon cancer or even going through costly treatment is sad when a colonoscopy is so easy.   do it.  soon.  and while they are poking around you can ask them to poke your prostate.  if all is well they will likely tell you come back in 10 years.    in 10 years there will be new ways of checking things.   ask for a copy of the video.  kind of cool.  invite your friends over to watch video of your latest spelunking adventure.

cardiac.  get a treadmill test (12 lead ecg should come with this) and a 2d doppler that checks structure flow and valve function.   if all goes well here then you won't need to repeat for some time.  if it doesnt go well then what they find is probably fixable. 

kidney ultrasound.  again if all is well you won't need to repeat soon.  you will be asked to drink water until your eyes are drowning then a couple of glasses more.  then they will check your kidneys the same way they check a pregnancy.  

now that i think of it best to do an entire abdomen ultrasound.  get all your tummy organs scanned.

eyeballs.  don't forget this.  an ophthalmologist will check for lots of things beyond whether or not you need glasses.  wet/dry age related macular degeneration can be slowed down especially if caught early, and it's a hot topic for biotech research, so if you have a risk for it now it would be good to treat it so you can take advantage of the new fangled treatments coming down the road.   and cataracts always seem to surprise people when they find they have them.   retinal tears, detachments, and thinning, intraocular pressure all need checking.

urinalysis.  have them measure everything they can.  helpful hint.  you want first in the morning urine so have your collection container at home because having to hold it in while going to the lab is uncomfortable.  i just clean a glass jar/spice bottle and give a distilled water rinse, then take the filled bottle in and switch it out into the container the lab gives me.  saves the extra trip to the lab just for the container.

pulmonary tests  a pulmonologist will do some basics and tell you if you need any non- basics.  worth doing, now that i think of it, i should do it.  basics aren't costly.  xray included of course.

blood work.   do as much as you can.  see the following for some guidance:

https://www.healthline.com/health/blood-tests

complete blood count.  make sure it's complete.

metabolic panel.  it may be hard to get a full panel, you may be recommended for the "basic" (may be hard to get a proper basic), but the full panel covers liver related stuff.  useful.

--make sure you get the A1C test for blood glucose

lipid panel.  make sure to go beyond just triglycerides, hdl and ldl.  ldl has nuances so at least also get vldl.  maybe vldl is common now. 

thyroid panel.  typically not done unless something is suspected, but typically included in higher end wellness packages.   worth doing once in a while.  thyroid stuff can sneak up on you and may seem to be other things for for quite a while. 

enzyme markers.    if you can get it then do it.  no idea how easy it will be to get.   these will give indications of cancer, heart damage, inflammation,

--note that the enzyme tests mention creatine phosphokinase 1 -3.    this is different from the creatinine test that is more typically included in a basic blood test.  creatinine is used to measure kidney health.

DHEA.   probably not worth your while.  ask your doctor.

C reactive protein.    this may be hard to get, i'm not sure, but i think it is nice to get.  it deals with inflammation and inflammation can cause lots of problems acute and chronic.  not just for arthritis, can be important for cardiac disease and other stuff.

PSA test:  this is sometimes categorized as something like "tumor markers".    get it done but don't forget to have them poke you during your colonoscopy.

if a doctor seems reluctant to do a test because you don't indicate for it tell him about whatever family history you have to make up to make it seem worthwhile doing.  if he is still  reluctant screw him, maintenance/prevention is good medicine.  get another doc.

not sure how much the above adds to.   a recent 2d echo cost 4900, treadmill 2300, thyroid panel 3300, cbc 500, several other blood items averaging high 300s, lipid profile 1500.  it all adds up but really dirt cheap for the info you get. 

• Thanks 4
Soupeod
30 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

good on ya.   too many people willing to spend whatever to maintain their house, car, computer, mistress, but go cheap when it comes to their body.

think of your checkup as establishing a baseline to refer to as you get older.  so do a thorough job now, and if all goes well, many things won't need repeating for 10 years or so and by then there may all sorts of new developments for testing and treating.

being in metro manila i can't recommend where to go, a tertiary hospital should be able to handle most of below,  a good diagnostic lab the blood/urine tests.  some of the less common tests are a bit pricey but you are getting old and not catching something early will cost more later.

colonoscopy.  dying of colon cancer or even going through costly treatment is sad when a colonoscopy is so easy.   do it.  soon.  and while they are poking around you can ask them to poke your prostate.  if all is well they will likely tell you come back in 10 years.    in 10 years there will be new ways of checking things.   ask for a copy of the video.  kind of cool.  invite your friends over to watch video of your latest spelunking adventure.

cardiac.  get a treadmill test (12 lead ecg should come with this) and a 2d doppler that checks structure flow and valve function.   if all goes well here then you won't need to repeat for some time.  if it doesnt go well then what they find is probably fixable. 

kidney ultrasound.  again if all is well you won't need to repeat soon.  you will be asked to drink water until your eyes are drowning then a couple of glasses more.  then they will check your kidneys the same way they check a pregnancy.  

now that i think of it best to do an entire abdomen ultrasound.  get all your tummy organs scanned.

eyeballs.  don't forget this.  an ophthalmologist will check for lots of things beyond whether or not you need glasses.  wet/dry age related macular degeneration can be slowed down especially if caught early, and it's a hot topic for biotech research, so if you have a risk for it now it would be good to treat it so you can take advantage of the new fangled treatments coming down the road.   and cataracts always seem to surprise people when they find they have them.   retinal tears, detachments, and thinning, intraocular pressure all need checking.

urinalysis.  have them measure everything they can.  helpful hint.  you want first in the morning urine so have your collection container at home because having to hold it in while going to the lab is uncomfortable.  i just clean a glass jar/spice bottle and give a distilled water rinse, then take the filled bottle in and switch it out into the container the lab gives me.  saves the extra trip to the lab just for the container.

pulmonary tests  a pulmonologist will do some basics and tell you if you need any non- basics.  worth doing, now that i think of it, i should do it.  basics aren't costly.  xray included of course.

blood work.   do as much as you can.  see the following for some guidance:

https://www.healthline.com/health/blood-tests

complete blood count.  make sure it's complete.

metabolic panel.  it may be hard to get a full panel, you may be recommended for the "basic" (may be hard to get a proper basic), but the full panel covers liver related stuff.  useful.

--make sure you get the A1C test for blood glucose

lipid panel.  make sure to go beyond just triglycerides, hdl and ldl.  ldl has nuances so at least also get vldl.  maybe vldl is common now. 

thyroid panel.  typically not done unless something is suspected, but typically included in higher end wellness packages.   worth doing once in a while.  thyroid stuff can sneak up on you and may seem to be other things for for quite a while. 

enzyme markers.    if you can get it then do it.  no idea how easy it will be to get.   these will give indications of cancer, heart damage, inflammation,

--note that the enzyme tests mention creatine phosphokinase 1 -3.    this is different from the creatinine test that is more typically included in a basic blood test.  creatinine is used to measure kidney health.

DHEA.   probably not worth your while.  ask your doctor.

C reactive protein.    this may be hard to get, i'm not sure, but i think it is nice to get.  it deals with inflammation and inflammation can cause lots of problems acute and chronic.  not just for arthritis, can be important for cardiac disease and other stuff.

PSA test:  this is sometimes categorized as something like "tumor markers".    get it done but don't forget to have them poke you during your colonoscopy.

if a doctor seems reluctant to do a test because you don't indicate for it tell him about whatever family history you have to make up to make it seem worthwhile doing.  if he is still  reluctant screw him, maintenance/prevention is good medicine.  get another doc.

not sure how much the above adds to.   a recent 2d echo cost 4900, treadmill 2300, thyroid panel 3300, cbc 500, several other blood items averaging high 300s, lipid profile 1500.  it all adds up but really dirt cheap for the info you get. 

Thanks and recommend pinning this topic.  More detailed than what my Doctors told me.  The Doctor says you should start at 50yrs @cookie47 @samatm for some of these tests i.e. colonoscopy. 

• Like 3
cookie47
8 hours ago, rfm010 said:

think of your checkup as establishing a baseline to refer to as you get older. 

Now, that is a  reply that's worth reading.Thanks....

Sound's like a 120 point check in my trade....

Edited by cookie47
Update
  • Like 3
samatm
20 hours ago, rfm010 said:

t. 

Thank you !  excellent feedback and I agree your reply should be penned.     I really appreciate this and am studying it.   Already booked a visit to the Urologist on Thursday. 

Thanks for  mentioning the importance of getting an opthalmic  exam.    My brother went in for an eye exam last year and melanoma was found in the back of his eye.. and a simple procedure has seemingly taken it away. 

• Like 2
cookie47
20 hours ago, rfm010 said:

an ophthalmologist

Good point,I say that because in the last 4 month's my wife has had two cataract operations in Cebu.

This condition was found by chance as she was complaining about reading and some tv issues.Both our eye tests are/were overdue due to Covide. She discovered the cataracts on presenting to an ophthalmologist in what we thought was going to be a regular check up and a new prescription but no.....Subsiquently he referred my wife was to an eye surgeon..

FYI it was P40,000 per side.....

• Administrator
Salty Dog
31 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Good point,I say that because in the last 4 month's my wife has had two cataract operations in Cebu.

This condition was found by chance as she was complaining about reading and some tv issues.Both our eye tests are/were overdue due to Covide. She discovered the cataracts on presenting to an ophthalmologist in what we thought was going to be a regular check up and a new prescription but no.....Subsiquently he referred my wife was to an eye surgeon..

FYI it was P40,000 per side.....

I get tested yearly and my doctor (ophthalmologist & surgeon) told me that I had cataracts, but it could be years before I needed to have surgery. Last year he told me they now meet the minimum requirement for my insurance to pay for the surgery. Since I still hadn't noticed any issues, I decided to wait. I'll probably get it done in the next few years.

• Like 1
cookie47
58 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I get tested yearly and my doctor (ophthalmologist & surgeon) told me that I had cataracts, but it could be years before I needed to have surgery. Last year he told me they now meet the minimum requirement for my insurance to pay for the surgery. Since I still hadn't noticed any issues, I decided to wait. I'll probably get it done in the next few years.

Ok, interesting situation.

I'm not really sure over what period my wife's condition deteriated .

However....

Her last test which also included myself was about 4 years ago at an optician in SM Mabolo.....

Nothing was noted at that point regarding Cataracts.....and a new set of glasses was prescribed....

What I CAN say is the improvement now is outstanding.

She's ditched her glasses which were bifocals. Can see to sew, can read anything and  occasionally tells me how to drive .Haaa.....,☹️

A very happy Camper.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
rfm010
18 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

occasionally tells me how to drive .

Well there are some things medicine will never be able to cure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3