Purchasing a lap top for a student

Soarking

Soarking

I’m in the U.S. and want to purchase a lap top for a student in the CDO, Philippines.  I have two questions.

1>     Can I purchase it on line through Lazada, paying for it here with my credit card?

2>    Do I have any guarantee that it will be delivered to the correct recipient in CDO

Jawny

Have you considered having the student make the purchase and sending the money?  Lazada deliveries, in my experience, have been reliable. But, if you have concerns about the laptop being delivered incorrectly, perhaps letting the student make the purchase is safer.  Besides, some retailers might throw in some enticements for a local purchase.  This is common where I shop. As well, local merchants are often the ones with the service centers for their preferred brands. 

Soarking

THANKS,
I talked with them and they found an Asus one locally for around P 16,000.00

And it is easier, faster and safer if I just send the money and let them get what they want.

Jester

Did this a couple years ago, sent the money and let them buy what they wanted.  1st one from Lazada had an issue was sent back and full refund, no issues.  They b

ought the 2nd one locally.

bernadette

Better let them buy in the physical store not thru shipping...kinda dangerous

• Like 1
Davaoeno
29 minutes ago, bernadette said:

Better let them buy in the physical store not thru shipping...kinda dangerous

That might have been true 5 or 10 years ago but I don't think it is true anymore

cookie47

Also, Unless you comfortable with a bargain (and that's ok) make sure it's actually not old stock.You can tell this easier with a physical purchase (just Google the model number and see what year it was released .After all it's just like buying a car although new it might be "new" in fact it may have been sitting in stock for over a year, with a few Newer model's ... That doesn't make it a bad computer ,You need to know ,thus if so you then have some bargaining power ???.Also buying local in the Philippines can be positive or negative.Ive seen laptops and printers sitting in shop widows (not too bad if in a an Air-conditioned Mall) in the blazing sun.Do Your homework.... Lastly Lazada and Shoppe are safe IN THE RIGHT LOCATION. But with this type of purchase I would like to see it first.

11 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I recommend that they buy what they deem best.

Two sacks of rice, their 'otang', and if there's anything left, maybe a used tablet?

OP, it couldn't be easier to just buy it online yourself

https://benson.ph/collections/laptops?sort_by=created-descending

https://shop.tti.com.ph/notebook/mainstream

Although you'd get a much better deal by buying it in the US and just send it to them, tax-exempt too:

In case of foreign donation, value-added Tax (VAT)-exempt importation of personal computers, laptops, tablets or similar equipment by the Department of Education (DepEd), Commission on Higher Education (CHED) or TESDA. In case the importer/consignee is other than these agencies, the importation may still be VAT-exempt, provided that the importer presents a Deed of Donation duly accepted by the said agencies.  - https://www.pwc.com/ph/en/tax-alerts/2020/tax-alert-82.html

Soupeod
19 hours ago, Fresh said:

In case of foreign donation, value-added Tax (VAT)-exempt importation of personal computers, laptops, tablets or similar equipment by the Department of Education (DepEd), Commission on Higher Education (CHED) or TESDA. In case the importer/consignee is other than these agencies, the importation may still be VAT-exempt, provided that the importer presents a Deed of Donation duly accepted by the said agencies.  - https://www.pwc.com/ph/en/tax-alerts/2020/tax-alert-82.html

Did you read this?

19 hours ago, Fresh said:

Although you'd get a much better deal by buying it in the US and just send it to them, tax-exempt too:

Also, if you buy them one and they need rice, it will be traded at the pawn shop.

• Like 1
lamoe

My take on PCs has always been - what are you using it for? Car analogy is good. Vet vs van. Need high end speed, graphics , RAM - for gaming or simple web surfing, typing. I can't out pace any PC even my old 8088.

The storage point was very good. Sunny street window is definitely bad. Box in back (unopened / undamaged) is OK.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Did you read this?

At least once, did you?

8 hours ago, Soupeod said:

if you buy them one and they need rice, it will be traded at the pawn shop.

And?