SRRV - agent or do-it-yourself?

HappyinPH

I've seen here and on another forum that a couple of people who did the SRRV process themselves wished they'd used an agent. What parts of the process involve the most hassles, so that it might be best to have an agent to help you?

Goetz1965

I did it myself and it just takes time for the papers to come and everything.
But its quite easy - just usual bureaucracy you have to follow. 
NBI clearance - make sure they take your fingerprnts on paper and ask 2 weeks after if results are there.
Get a time deposit at a bank (I have mine at PNB) for the 20K - the bank tells you what is needed for that
Get all papers needed from your home country - that just takes time too.

When you have all papers THEN you can go to PRA offoce and show them - they will tell you if anything is missing
ONLY when all is there you go to Landbank main branch at Oasmena and pay the fees for everything - ask the PRA to give you the exchange rate as that you need for paying the $ fee in php at Landbank... its more fun you know... Lol
After you paid the fee go back to PRA and give them all the papers - and then go home and just wait until they tell you its approved - takes about 1-2 month time.

• Like 2
HappyinPH

Thanks very much for your detailed information! I think I will do it myself too, but use my partner as "agent" (she won't need a tip, just the odd meal in Jollibee). Of course she knows little about the SRRV but she's good at talking to people and has lots of experience with bureaucracy.

One thing I'm not quite sure what to do about is the medical. Maybe you did it pre-Covid, but now I suppose doctors in Cebu City are even more busy than usual. We live 1-3 hours from Cebu City depending on traffic, so it might seem wise to go to a doctor out here in the "province" where there seems to be less Covid. But then I think I read somewhere that PRA Cebu has certain doctors they work with in Cebu City, who presumably are used to SRRV medicals and where the applicant doesn't have to pay. What would you suggest? Do you know of any private doctor where I won't have to wait for hours or who maybe even has appointments at fixed times?  

• Administrator
Dafey

@HappyinPH, you may find some info here...

• Haha 1
HappyinPH
Just now, Dafey said:

you may find some info here...

Thanks, Dafey, interesting reading. Still, in my case, as someone who's "never" ill and just needs a simple medical for the SRRV, I'd almost be more interested in the waiting time than the competence of the doctor: a one-hour wait to be seen by an average doctor would be better than a six-hour wait to see the best doctor in Cebu.

Otherwise, I have little to add to the discussion. I was at Chong Hua as an outpatient for something minor, that's all in four years here, and I was satisfied with the treatment (but not with the waiting time!)

• Like 1
Goetz1965

They give you a paper whith the medical information needed. Just let any doctor fill it up - theres no need for special doctors!

HappyinPH
Just now, Goetz1965 said:

They give you a paper whith the medical information needed. Just let any doctor fill it up - theres no need for special doctors!

Thanks - yes, I've got the form, so I know I have to take along my urine and stool samples - hope the quality doesn't deteriorate after the six-hour wait for the doctor!

Soupeod
5 hours ago, HappyinPH said:

Do you know of any private doctor where I won't have to wait for hours or who maybe even has appointments at fixed times? 

4 hours ago, HappyinPH said:

and I was satisfied with the treatment (but not with the waiting time!)

All the Doctors at my location operate in the afternoon to see patients. Call the day before or early morning for an appointment

Show up at 1:30-2pm and wait 10 min.

If you don’t do that, you will wait in line. Welcome to the Philippines!

41 minutes ago, HappyinPH said:

after the six-hour wait for the doctor!

Then again, you better learn patience.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
roderick

If you do go with an SRRV agent, how much in fees should I expect to pay for their services? Is this a fixed service fee or is it likely to increase if more time or expertise is needed ??

Davaoeno

The $1400  fee that you pay includes $500 usd for the agent. 

• Like 1
roderick
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

The $1400  fee that you pay includes $500 usd for the agent. 

Thanks Davao

Is there a particular agent you'd recommend ?

HappyinPH
On 9/23/2021 at 4:38 PM, roderick said:

Anywhere !!

I don't see how you can have an agent that lives in a different part of the country. You have to do the medical and the NBI in person, and the agent can't help you to get a police clearance and proof of pension from your home country, wherever he/she lives. That's doesn't leave much except the bank business - an agent could probably help you to open a bank account if you find it difficult by yourself. 

I could do it completely by myself, but as I posted before, my partner goes with me, which is useful in various ways, e.g. she's done NBI herself already and if someone mumbles an incomprehensible question at me in Filipino English through a mask, they can then ask her in Bisaya and she will translate for me.

Here and on other forums, there are various experiences with agents - some people were expected to pay the agent a large tip, even though it's supposed to be included in the $1400.

Goetz1965

Thats true for if you know what you have to do - maybe if you did such things before.
But if you are unfamiliar wth all that an agent is definitly better as they know whats necessary.
Also if there is problems an agent is better in handling those than you are.

• Like 1