Bought lot to build home. Now the fun begins.

papimafioso69

We bought a 10 by 20 meter lot right behind the no build zone . Looks like we have to elevate about 4 feet  . Waiting all the paperwork to get finished and looking for a architect . Going to build the house sideways . 7 meters by 10 meters . Two bedroom one bath . Master bedroom facing the ocean with a wrap around porch . I have two other foreigners as neighbors . One from Florida and a real character who’s from Norway  , weighs about 330 and doesn’t have air conditioning in his home because he said he’s been cold his whole life . I rock my air in my in-laws house 21 hours a day , I was going to build a two story but I just don’t have the funds . No way I touch my retirement $$ . We do have fault lines in McArthur area  . Going to use 6 inch blocks and a heavier rebar . Any in put about do’s & don’t will be helpful . I do have two guy’s that are top notch construction workers . They built both of the other ex pat’s homes . Thanks 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papimafioso69

• Dafey

• Soupeod

• Chako

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've titled quite a lot of property. The fastest was six months and the slowest  took fifteen years.

We bought a 10 by 20 meter lot right behind the no build zone . Looks like we have to elevate about 4 feet  . Waiting all the paperwork to get finished and looking for a architect . Going to build the

A genetic engineer may make a quite interesting map.  But I think you need a geodetic engineer for the kind of map you want.   Is this a tax declaration property? has it ever been titled?

• Administrator
Dafey

Good on you. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row.

8 minutes ago, papimafioso69 said:

Looks like we have to elevate about 4 feet  

If you think you have to elevate 4', better to make it 5'. One of the biggest problems I see here is the lack of drainage. Drainage should go in before the building, yet they tend to do it after they are flooded. This is especially important if you are near the water.

12 minutes ago, papimafioso69 said:

Going to build the house sideways . 7 meters by 10 meters . Two bedroom one bath . Master bedroom facing the ocean with a wrap around porch

Sounds like a good sized house.

Also they opened the new Wilcon on the West side of Ormoc if that helps you. We did a lot of business with both Emerald and Citi hardware in Ormoc and are generally pleased but the new Wilcon seems to have a huge selection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

to_dave007

My recommendation..  since you don't want to dig into your retirement savings, I recommend you decide your BUDGET for the house (all included..  including architect)..  BEFORE you start looking for an architect.

• Like 2
BossHog
On 8/30/2021 at 7:10 AM, papimafioso69 said:

Master bedroom facing the ocean with a wrap around porch

Sounds great! Good luck with your build. One question that comes to mind is how close you are to the ocean. Lots of legal stuff involved if you build "right on the beach." So how far is your setback?

I've known more than a few folks who've lost their dream houses to bulldozers five or ten years after building when the government decided they were too close to the high tide mark. Just something to be aware of before breaking ground.

• Like 2
papimafioso69
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

Sounds great! Good luck with your build. One question that comes to mind is how close you are to the ocean. Lots of legal stuff involved if you build "right on the beach." So how far is your setback?

I've known more than a few folks who've lost their dream houses to bulldozers five or ten years after building when the government decided they were too close to the high tide mark. Just something to be aware of before breaking ground.

We’re right behind the no build zone . My neighbor’s have told me that since they’ve built two piers the water is farther back than it once was . I walked it off and I’m 60 meters from the water . I actually have the post in front of my land . I’m sure I’m good on that . There’s 2 resorts and a third being built right now . I have 1.5 million pesos and our home is only going to be 6 1/2 by 10 meter home . I have two top notch guy’s that have built some nice homes . I have about a three foot slope so there will be some extra cost to fill my lot . My lot is 10 by 20 . It’s not a huge property . Thanks and advise is welcomed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Mangoshake

Personally i would immediately make the structure  the maximum allowed building height. These higher floors you can always finish them later on the inside but with that ocean view its extra special.

• Like 3
papimafioso69
10 hours ago, Mangoshake said:

Personally i would immediately make the structure  the maximum allowed building height. These higher floors you can always finish them later on the inside but with that ocean view its extra 

papimafioso69

We’re waiting on paperwork . It’s going to be a while . Have to have a genetic engineer map our land for title . Going to a get together with the 2 other ex pat’s on Sunday . I should be able to get the names of the other men that did there homes . My land does have a slope . Getting that foundation right is really the only thing I’m really stressing about . Between cash and credit cards I have plenty to finish the job . I might have to wait until until March because of rainy season . Hopefully I’m in a stock and if it pops , it’s has about 25% more to go that will help . Lol 

• Like 1
to_dave007
50 minutes ago, papimafioso69 said:

Have to have a genetic engineer map our land for title . 

A genetic engineer may make a quite interesting map.  But I think you need a geodetic engineer for the kind of map you want.

Is this a tax declaration property? has it ever been titled?

• Haha 4
papimafioso69
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

A genetic engineer may make a quite interesting map.  But I think you need a geodetic engineer for the kind of map you want.

Is this a tax declaration property? has it ever been titled?

My wife said genetic .lol thanks for the correction . I have a good Lawyer that works for the DENR and land titles is main business . I feel we’re in good hands, title wise 

SkyMan
On 8/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, Mangoshake said:

Personally i would immediately make the structure  the maximum allowed building height. These higher floors you can always finish them later on the inside but with that ocean view its extra special.

I'd want the master bedroom on a higher floor too.

• Like 3
cvgtpc1
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

I'd want the master bedroom on a higher floor too.

A full western style master bedroom suite with balcony, being the only room on the top floor is what I aspire to.  A retreat when the relatives come over.

• Like 3
crazygolfer
6 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

A full western style master bedroom suite with balcony, being the only room on the top floor is what I aspire to.  A retreat when the relatives come over.

With a flap trap, on top of the staircase, connected to a slide to the ocean. Yep! 

• Haha 1
papimafioso69
8 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

That’s funny but true . Her Aunt has a rest house next story to us , and her other Aunt lives down the road . I like those ladies . Every Sunday her Aunt comes over and we make Bistek together . I would really love the two story  . Going up stairs kills me . When I go back to the USA , I’ll see my Dr. for my back and probably get my 10 shot in my spine . I wish I never became a power lifter in my 20’s . Why would you squat  550 lbs. 

• Like 1
to_dave007
2 hours ago, papimafioso69 said:

That’s funny but true . Her Aunt has a rest house next story to us , and her other Aunt lives down the road . I like those ladies . Every Sunday her Aunt comes over and we make Bistek together . I would really love the two story  . Going up stairs kills me . When I go back to the USA , I’ll see my Dr. for my back and probably get my 10 shot in my spine . I wish I never became a power lifter in my 20’s . Why would you squat  550 lbs. 

I don't know you.. just by your handle here..  but I'm curious..  will your new house have a pizza oven?