US job market entry level

lamoe

Old neighbor asked me to help him do some landscaping  - nobody answered add in Craigslist -  we went to Loews - bought 50 bags of mulch - his truck can carry them - he asked to have them loaded

"yes - we'll take them outside and get someone to do it" - 15 min - nobody - he goes in - "they'll be right out" 15 more  min no one - we both go in  - he finds store mgr - asks if the mulch could be loaded? "yes sir - right now"

While it's being loaded we got to taking and he said he can't get any help even at $17.50 an hour. Hired 4 last week - 3 didn't show up and the one who did quit after 4 hours stocking shelves.

Asked if we wanted jobs? Told him we were 80 and 74 - thought he was joking - he wasn't  - said either of us could probably come in to fill out paperwork and start on Tuesday - flexible hours and days. Told him where I live and will be returning to as soon as possible - "that's OK"

I may do it just to have something to do.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 4
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Soupeod

• Chris24

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Burger King pays $15/hr and can't get enough help in Florida. It looks like the $15/hr minimum wage isn't needed with so many jobs available and most entry level jobs paying near or above that now. I

The wife is super frustrated seeing work available everywhere but USCIS is dragging their feet on her green card.

Been there / done that - had all my hair and own teeth 

Posted Images

Edwin

Burger King pays $15/hr and can't get enough help in Florida. It looks like the $15/hr minimum wage isn't needed with so many jobs available and most entry level jobs paying near or above that now. I think it's the best time since the 1960's to be entering the job market in the good old USA. Some notoriously horrible retail employers are now paying for their employee's college tuition hoping to attract and retain workers. Life in America keeps getting better...

• Like 5
SkyMan

The wife is super frustrated seeing work available everywhere but USCIS is dragging their feet on her green card.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Soupeod
24 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I remember reading of an American and his Pinay wife entering America on the spousal visa, and they handed her the SSN card at immigration upon arrival. Don’t remember about the green card.

added note - they had already been married more than 3-years.

Edited by Soupeod
Added info
  • Like 2
Edwin
20 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Skyman, does this mean you're staying in the states for a few years?

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Soupeod said:

I remember reading of an American and his Pinay wife entering America on the spousal visa, and they handed her the SSN card at immigration upon arrival. Don’t remember about the green card.

added note - they had already been married more than 3-years.

She probably didn't get the SSAN in arrival but within 2 weeks along with a ten year GC. But my wife entered on a B-2 tourist visa so we have ro wade through the Adjustment of Status process. She's 5 months overstay right now but it's OK because the AOS is in progress.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Skyman, does this mean you're staying in the states for a few years?

She is at least here for the green card. I'm going to be a bit back and forth.

• Like 3
MarinePride

Why work when you don't have to?  A lot of people are just content with just "getting by" in life, especially when the gov't rewards such behavior.  I love it, as when I go back to the USA to drive a truck, just to keep my experience current, I get hired right away.  Also, a lot of people cannot pass the drug test required for a place like Lowe's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mikecon3

Help wanted signs up in most stores here where I live. The fast food places are making do by keeping the lobbies and dining areas closed, so it's drive thru only with a few exceptions. Hardee's doesn't have enough employees to work the different shifts, so the one in my town is open for breakfast and closes at 11AM, and the next town over it's open from 10-3 for lunch and closed the rest of the time. Somethings got to give soon.

• Like 1
Chris24

Yep. I've noticed the same thing.   I retired earlier this year, and after 42 years of being a textbook workaholic, I made a vow at retirement to resist temptation and NOT sign up for any gigs, nonprofit work or part time engagements for a full year, and instead focus on my kids, hobbies and mentally downshifting to a slower pace of life.  Yet I admit it is tempting when I see the local labor shortages, and think "hey I could deliver pizzas or go work at the Amazon fulfillment center/drive a delivery truck, etc. etc. etc.  part time just for a few months to help contribute to the labor pool during this shortage until the unemployment checks run out.  

Adding a classic video:

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
lamoe
Posted (edited)

Rockford - 2 stores - 21 different departments  - not openings - openings in 21 departments

image.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
Soupeod
9 hours ago, Chris24 said:

Yep. I've noticed the same thing.   I retired earlier this year, and after 42 years of being a textbook workaholic, I made a vow at retirement to resist temptation and NOT sign up for any gigs, nonprofit work or part time engagements for a full year, and instead focus on my kids, hobbies and mentally downshifting to a slower pace of life.  Yet I admit it is tempting when I see the local labor shortages, and think "hey I could deliver pizzas or go work at the Amazon fulfillment center/drive a delivery truck, etc. etc. etc.  part time just for a few months to help contribute to the labor pool during this shortage until the unemployment checks run out.  

Adding a classic video:

6 hours ago, lamoe said:

Rockford - 2 stores - 21 different departments  - not openings - openings in 21 departments

image.png

That’s because we are from a different generation and willing to work whereever. 😅
Nice video @Chris24, never saw that before lol

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 1
smokey

My wife works as care giver loves her job 15 87 hour but lots of overtime so much her 2 week pay was 2.134 clear

• Like 1
to_dave007

Little bit off-topic as this is a Canadian story from Hamilton Ontario..  Just about 40 miles west of Buffalo (does that make it on-topic).

My brothers Illocana wife brought her parents to Canada a few years back as part of family reunification program. Her father.. Rudy..  was 60 when he arrived. In Philippines he had owned a small scrap recycling business, similar to what we have here in Tuburan.  He was permitted to work and initially applied to meat packing plant.. got hired.. and lasted 1 day.  Then.. my brother bought him a lawn mower.. and he started cutting grass for some home owners in the neighborhood..  many of whom were older folk.. many widow ladies on a decent blue collar pension.  Then they started asking for general yard work and clean up.. and sent their friends to him.  Fast forward a few years and he has a couple employees and vehicles in his small business.. cutting grass and doing general yard work in summer. and painting in winter.

Rudy is not an idle man.

• Like 3
Chris24
On 8/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Soupeod said:

That’s because we are from a different generation and willing to work whereever. 😅
Nice video @Chris24, never saw that before lol

That clip is from the movie American Beauty, which is a surprisingly great movie, well worth setting aside a couple of undistracted hours to watch in its entirety.  

• Like 1
Chris24
20 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Little bit off-topic as this is a Canadian story from Hamilton Ontario..  Just about 40 miles west of Buffalo (does that make it on-topic).

My brothers Illocana wife brought her parents to Canada a few years back as part of family reunification program. Her father.. Rudy..  was 60 when he arrived. In Philippines he had owned a small scrap recycling business, similar to what we have here in Tuburan.  He was permitted to work and initially applied to meat packing plant.. got hired.. and lasted 1 day.  Then.. my brother bought him a lawn mower.. and he started cutting grass for some home owners in the neighborhood..  many of whom were older folk.. many widow ladies on a decent blue collar pension.  Then they started asking for general yard work and clean up.. and sent their friends to him.  Fast forward a few years and he has a couple employees and vehicles in his small business.. cutting grass and doing general yard work in summer. and painting in winter.

Rudy is not an idle man.

My wife is also Ilocana, and we brought her parents over in the 1990s.  Her father had been vice mayor of their town, and had worked in various administrative positions in the municipal hall for most of his life.  He came here when he was in his 60s and started working part-time at Target, first cutting meat, then he moved out to the parking lot pushing that machine that collects up all the carts.  His wife (who was a retired elementary school teacher) joined him at Target part-time, stocking and sorting clothes and keeping the clothing racks neat while helping customers locate items in that section.  They both continued working there into their 70s and were among the most reliable entry-level employees that Target had - - always willing to come in and cover on short notice if someone else couldn't didn't make it in for a shift, and never missing their own scheduled shift due to car trouble, kid coverage, etc. etc. They were both so proud to just be working in the U.S. and didn't give a thought to it being too menial or beneath them.  My wife's father passed away some years ago, but her mother now receives small social security checks plus has Medicare coverage by virtue of having worked at Target for over ten years.     

Now we're working to get visas for my wife's two brothers.  Two sisters have both been here for many years working as nurses.  As for the brothers, one I think will do well, his degree is in civil engineering but he only worked a year or two in that field before going to Taiwan to work for an electronics manufacturer and then for a hotel.  He'll probably find work at a hotel here. The other brother was in municipal politics, I don't think he will take root here but he might surprise us.  

Work ethic I think comes as much from good parenting as it does from the culture around us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2