Internet Service Providers (ISP) in PH - How good or bad in 2021?

DeedleNuts
15 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I suggest you focus your questions more on FAILURE RATE and MAINTENANCE of the system rather than speed. How often does the fiber FAIL? how responsive is the provider? how long to get it back up and running? what % uptime does the ISP guarantee.  I believe you'll find that THIS is where your problems will be.  Not speed.

I'll try to stick to areas where a business fiber plan is available with QoS terms if it comes down to it, but hopefully it won't come to that. 

SkyMan

Is Dito still rockin? It worked great the first month but then I left. Hoping it still works well when I get back.

Edited by SkyMan
17 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

I'll try to stick to areas where a business fiber plan is available with QoS terms if it comes down to it, but hopefully it won't come to that. 

Tip: whenever you do get your first outage and the maintenance guys come to fix it, give em some money and ask for their personal phone number.
Next time there is an outage, u can call them directly, they will drop whatever they are doing and come to you, you don't have to go through your ISP and wait days.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I signed up for PDLT's Unli Fiber plan 1899 (20Mbps) in 2019 to replace the 3Mbps ADSL we had. It was soon speed-boosted to 25Mbps that was the new minimum, then 30Mbps when covid happened (so people with lower-speed plans could more easily work and study from home) then a few months ago I noticed that I was getting almost 100Mbps. I called PLDT to make sure that was right and they said it was OK, so I'm getting 100 meg for ₱1899/month. I'm still not sure why but I'm not complaining. Outages are rare and usually happen when someone's doing something up on the pole like when barangay workers swapped out the sodium vapor streetlight for an LED one, once when a thunderstorm dropped a palm tree branch on my drop "wire" and pulled a splice loose on the pole, once when another t-storm knocked out the main fiber distribution box for my part of Mandaue City. Each time I was given another speed boost as compensation for the service outage. I was getting 200Mbps for a month or so after the last one (the streetlight replacement.) 100 meg lets me do whatever I want to do on the Internet. Heck, even 20 let me watch YouTube videos with no buffering or delays.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that with the ADSL we used to lose Internet access whenever it rained due to the crappy copper cables getting wet and noisy, and could never get PLDT to fix it. Now for less than ₱500 more a month I have fiber to the router, unaffected by rain, and the same bandwidth up and down. It's still not Google Fiber with 1Gbps or the insane speeds they have in Japan and Singapore but not bad at all for the Philippines.

cookie47
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Each time I was given another speed boost as compensation for the service outage

Seems like we got the same plan, Although I'm up to 50mbs (for the same money.) Only one outage in 12 months (Due to a big tree falling and pulling out about 500 metres of fibre).

Ive had "other" outages maybe 3 but that's due to Veco not PLDT.

Maybe I need to complain next Time and get an upgrade. 🥴🥴 50mbs does everything I want though...

• Like 1

we are in south metro manila. we pay 3100pm for up to 100mbs with PLDT. for this we get a modem that has all LAN ports blocked unless you have a connector to those puck things. At the weekend we get 1mbs ,or less!! :help:which is covered by being up to 100mbs:regler:  Our neighbour a british guy is relying on the connection for home schooling his two children during lock down. his youngest had no class on monday:cool_01: as the teacher could not get a connection.

Not long ago the Senate was to conduct a hearing/meeting with Pldt connection requiring the meeting to be by conference call due to lock down, it did not happen as they had a very fast no connection service:phil:  speed may be great at times, ours can be. just reliability is a big problem for us:violin:

• Like 1
cookie47
19 minutes ago, MickyG said:

LAN ports blocked

It seems a mix and match what Lan ports are open or closed no consistency/ standard at all

We have Cignal bundled with PLDT (PLDT being the provider).At least 3 are open from day 1.

Port 1 Lan cable for Smart Tv.

Port 2 Cignal box 

Port 3 Open as I've (as an experiment Only) connected my laptop with a LAN cable ...

Port 4 ???.....

There is a Tutorial on YouTube how to open them all but, However...it's been said I think ? on this forum that "they know"which might be a problem.Not sure about that ,it's above my pay scale.......

BossHog

In many countries you expect Internet to be faster in the cities than the countryside.

The great paradox with ISPs in the Philippines is that in some rural areas you can get lightning fast speeds. It's just a matter of your proximity to a tower and the local population density.

17 hours ago, BossHog said:

In many countries you expect Internet to be faster in the cities than the countryside.

The great paradox with ISPs in the Philippines is that in some rural areas you can get lightning fast speeds. It's just a matter of your proximity to a tower and the local population density.

I had full bars 5G in Manila and it was very slow. 

I have full bars LTE here in Provence and it is much faster. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Pman said:

I had full bars 5G in Manila and it was very slow. 

I have full bars LTE here in Provence and it is much faster. 

Signal strength and bandwidth are not the same. 2 lane road vs 6 lane highway both doing limit

• Like 1
12 hours ago, lamoe said:

Signal strength and bandwidth are not the same. 2 lane road vs 6 lane highway both doing limit

I was agreeing with Boss ;)

On 10/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, cookie47 said:

Maybe I need to complain next Time and get an upgrade. 🥴🥴 50mbs does everything I want though..

I told them that I was using Internet for work. (Not paid work, but at the time I was helping with tech support for a particular Linux distro on a volunteer basis. I didn't tell PLDT that though.)

Edited by Jay
  • Like 1