Internet Service Providers (ISP) in PH - How good or bad in 2021?

DeedleNuts

I did search for an up-to-date thread on this topic, the terms ISP and fiber found nothing. Sorry if I missed an existing up to date thread. 

So here we are.

My life circumstances are changing in a way that's likely to allow me to spend a lot more time in PH, but there is a catch; I will require reasonably reliable power and reasonably reliable and performant internet connectivity. All that p*orn won't watch itself after all. I joke about that last, but I do need the power and ISP

Looking at the available carriers it looks like fairly zippy fiber is readily available in Manila and possibly even quieter and for me nicer places like Subic, but I also know that marketing is often mostly hopeful wishing and perhaps filipino marketing more than usual, if that's possible. 

So what's the reality?

What sort of speed and international ping times can a person get in a residential or even low end commercial connection? I see claims of 800mbps now, for what is a fairly reasonable rate. Is that real? How real? Who's hungry?

Please inform me, or place this in the right thread :D 

Dutch

Really depends on where in the philippines, and what you deem performant.
100mbps can be found almost anywhere in metro cebu, some areas they even have 1gbps.
But if you are talking about the province, ur lucky if u can get a reliable unlimited 10mbps connection.

Edited by Dutch
  • Thanks 1
Soupeod
16 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

What sort of speed and international ping times can a person get in a residential or even low end commercial connection?

My bandwidth is 15 meg up/ down with 260-320ms latency to most US ISP. I am in the province with Pldt over the air antenna to and from Ormic, Leyte. Up and down time are pretty good, we seldom have outages, most are caused somewhere in the loop to Manila/Cebu.

Ive seen folks here on Linc have 100+ meg up/ down in bandwidth but no reports on latency because they think erroneously that is speed. 

• Like 2
DeedleNuts
4 hours ago, Soupeod said:

My bandwidth is 15 meg up/ down with 260-320ms latency

That seems pretty high but I guess Scotty was right after all. Thanks. I'll probably have to have a small local server, maybe. 

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
On 8/9/2021 at 11:42 PM, DeedleNuts said:

What sort of speed and international ping times can a person get in a residential or even low end commercial connection? I see claims of 800mbps now, for what is a fairly reasonable rate. Is that real? How real?

Being in the province, we were only able to get Globe LTE at 10 Mbps, but they just installed a PLDT Fibr line on our road. So I had fiber internet installed a week ago. We have the 100 mbps plan for 2699 and we are consistently getting around 200 mbps download and upload. Part of our road is still dirt and there is no name to the road, so we are provincial.

image.thumb.png.cbf57ee558fe8ab3ac188bce7a60db44.png

From Angry IP scanner.

Total time: 20.64 sec
Average time per host: 0.08 sec

IP Range
192.168.68.0 - 192.168.68.255

Hosts scanned: 254
Hosts alive: 9
With open ports: 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DeedleNuts
58 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Being in the province, we were only able to get Globe LTE at 10 Mbps, but they just installed a PLDT Fibr line on our road. So I had fiber internet installed a week ago. We have the 100 mbps plan for 2699 and we are consistently getting around 200 mbps download and upload. Part of our road is still dirt and there is no name to the road, so we are provincial.

That's pretty spiffy Roger.

If you have time, care to try speedtest.net with server set to something in the pacific NW USA? I'm trying to see ... well you know what I'm trying to see :D

• Haha 1
RogerDuMond
9 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

That's pretty spiffy Roger.

If you have time, care to try speedtest.net with server set to something in the pacific NW USA? I'm trying to see ... well you know what I'm trying to see :D

1329411810_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-21-15SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.a0ed79da85bf2d22290d32052ddac4a6.png

1155509510_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-19-26SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.0fc71f7a6091275e91c98ad676c4836a.png

277251307_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-28-00SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.2fdd34314bcc86baf1e84a36d8489662.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
DeedleNuts

Thanks a ton Roger - that's actually respectable. I could work w/ that. 

to_dave007
3 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

Thanks a ton Roger - that's actually respectable. I could work w/ that. 

Just remember.. Roger gets that speed because they ran cable down his road.  Go 800 meters away from that cable, and there may be no PLDT.  @RogerDuMondCan you comment more on that please.

RogerDuMond
30 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Just remember.. Roger gets that speed because they ran cable down his road.  Go 800 meters away from that cable, and there may be no PLDT.  @RogerDuMondCan you comment more on that please.

We are about 250 meters from the main road. When they put up the cable I don't know where they started, but they ended up at the main road. I would guess that they went all the way to the end of the road where there are several beach resorts. I don't know of that many other houses on the road that would make it worth their investment if they didn't run it all the way to the beach resorts.

• Like 3
Paddy

I’m in rural Masbate - some 20-30 mins outside Masbate City. PLDT have only just installed fibre into our village but the local cable company (Charles) were here nearly 6 months or so ago. Charles appear to get their internet service from PLDT. 

We have a 70MBps service from Charles which does nicely for Netflix etc - when it’s up. We’ve just had a roughly three day outage while also having severe brownouts at the same time. PLDT do offer their 200MBps service here but only say they’ll try to provide 80% uptime. That’s up to 6 days worth of outages per month. 

To be honest, what we have now is way better than what we had before but, realistically, it’s still not that reliable. Add power issues and some days can be quite tiresome. 

If I had to rely on the infrastructure here for work (I’m retired now so I no longer have to), I’d make sure I had “ready to go” alternatives for both connectivity and power. 

• Like 3
to_dave007
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

We are about 250 meters from the main road. When they put up the cable I don't know where they started, but they ended up at the main road. I would guess that they went all the way to the end of the road where there are several beach resorts. I don't know of that many other houses on the road that would make it worth their investment if they didn't run it all the way to the beach resorts.

The crazy part.. is that the PLDT fiber runs directly in front of my house.. which is on the national highway.  But the nearest junction box..  is too far from my house.. by mere hundreds of meters.

• Like 1
Soupeod
6 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

1329411810_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-21-15SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.a0ed79da85bf2d22290d32052ddac4a6.png

1155509510_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-19-26SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.0fc71f7a6091275e91c98ad676c4836a.png

277251307_Screenshot2021-08-11at11-28-00SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.thumb.png.2fdd34314bcc86baf1e84a36d8489662.png

167-187 ping is fantastic plus the bandwidth! I’m jealous 😅

• Like 2
DeedleNuts
11 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Just remember.. Roger gets that speed because they ran cable down his road.  Go 800 meters away from that cable, and there may be no PLDT.

I'm not planning on going rural, and every housing choice will be predicated on having fiber available. What I want to know is how decent fiber is over there. If rural fiber is that good, I'm optimistic of my odds. 

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

If I had to rely on the infrastructure here for work (I’m retired now so I no longer have to), I’d make sure I had “ready to go” alternatives for both connectivity and power. 

I've live in PH before. The reliability isn't fantastic but as long as it hasn't gotten worse it will be adequate.

to_dave007
4 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

I'm not planning on going rural, and every housing choice will be predicated on having fiber available. What I want to know is how decent fiber is over there. If rural fiber is that good, I'm optimistic of my odds. 

I suggest you focus your questions more on FAILURE RATE and MAINTENANCE of the system rather than speed. How often does the fiber FAIL? how responsive is the provider? how long to get it back up and running? what % uptime does the ISP guarantee.  I believe you'll find that THIS is where your problems will be.  Not speed.

• Like 3