Air Force aircraft land on Michigan highway

• Administrator
Dafey

image.png.69819e038782014301b6ade6175fef1f.png

The Michigan Air National Guard completed a historic training exercise on Thursday by landing and "generating," or taking off, six Air Force aircraft on a partially closed Michigan state highway.

Four A-10 Thunderbolts and two C-146 transport aircraft commanded by three separate units, including the Michigan Air National Guard, completed their operation by putting the planes down on State Highway M-32 in northeastern Michigan's Alpena County.

Air Force aircraft land on Michigan highway (msn.com)

• Like 6
cvgtpc1
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Interesting.  I knew they do this in South Korea but never heard of it in the US.  Awesome!

• Like 3
mikecon3
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Back when the Marine Corps had Harriers, they would land them in the street all over Camp Lejeune and surrounding areas. Of course, they didn't really need a runway! I would imagine now that they have the Osprey, the same thing probably happens, just haven't seen it myself.

• Like 3
Soupeod
17 hours ago, Dafey said:

A capability developed after WW2 by Eisenhower I believe; For US highways to be used as runways. Germany has the same thing with runway markings going down the side of the highway.

• Like 4
cookie47
On 8/7/2021 at 12:39 AM, Soupeod said:

A capability developed after WW2 by Eisenhower I believe; For US highways to be used as runways. Germany has the same thing with runway markings going down the side of the highway.

And in outback Australia ,,but they are for the flying doctor.

Soupeod
7 hours ago, cookie47 said:

And in outback Australia ,,but they are for the flying doctor.

Until… :)