cost of building in Badian

MJones

Someone told me a house can be build for as little as 500,000 Peso. I find this hard to believe. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the cost of a house at or close to western standards? Thanks

A_Simple_Man
18 minutes ago, MJones said:

Someone told me a house can be build for as little as 500,000 Peso. I find this hard to believe. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the cost of a house at or close to western standards? Thanks

Western standards can mean so many things.  If you want a house similar to, and even a bit better than, this one in the pic then yes it is under 500,000 Pesos..  Perhaps describe or post a pic of what you see as minimum standards for a house.

temp.thumb.jpg.45f6a2b0252a1123c4e2cde2800e8ac1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Davaoeno

Plan for 30,000 a sq m

• Like 3
to_dave007

Here in Tuburan i know of one (small but quite nice) house built in last 5 years for about 100,000 and another (gorgeous mansion with great pool) built to about 20 million.  The question is far too general.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
4 hours ago, MJones said:

Someone told me a house can be build for as little as 500,000 Peso

We built this one for 500,000

IMG_1660.thumb.JPG.93ee89ea6396890af0f10e8dbf84c9a4.JPG

This one was about 650,000

IMG_2817.thumb.JPG.85389e0c4510d6b1a80f23b43005ad9a.JPG

A lot will depend on how luxurious your fixtures, windows, plumbing, etc. You can do it on the cheap or spend a million. Both houses are 20' X 26'. First one is half block second one is all block

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
smokey

I think nice western 40 per sq. Anodized  window tinted nice ac real garage plugs everywhere tiled cr walls real wood doors hot water etc

BossHog
6 hours ago, MJones said:

You're only off by about one order of magnitude. 5 million and not 500,000 is a more realistic number.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

A lot will depend on how luxurious your fixtures, windows, plumbing, etc. You can do it on the cheap or spend a million. Both houses are 20' X 26'. First one is half block second one is all block

Two very nice homes.  May I ask how long ago they were built just to know if the prices are still recent.

• Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, Edd said:

how long ago they were built

March 2020 and March 2021.

We were there daily giving direction though the builder is a great guy with plenty of skills. We also shopped around for everything and cut a deal with the local hardware store for free delivery on everything we bought there. Sand, Gravel and Cement really went up in price this year. But doors and windows came down a bit.

The houses are for my BILs and they are doing the maintenance on them and keeping the farm looking good so, good investment on our part. The second house I could live in with some adjustments...If we put another 200K into it it would be luxury!

Surprisingly, it wasn't that much more for the block vs. amacan. And the builder said the could have done the roof in half the time if I let them nail it but I insisted on screws.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We built two houses in Badian, But it was back in  2012 and 2014. It would depend on what you want and current prices of materials but sounds possible. Just contact a good builder and ask. If you need the number of the builder we used and are going to use again just ask and I will PM it to you.

• Like 3
lamoe

This is where we stayed before I left for US. I found it to be adequate but BR somewhat small and DK poorly laid out.

Belongs to Tata's sister / BIL as a "rest house" at night to get away from  people at the main house. 1 BR 10 x 15 ft?, CR under narrow stairs, dirty kitchen / open area  to the right. He said cost P100,000  - BUT - family did the building - he did the wiring  / plumbing , papa  makes the blocks as one of his business's and they cut the lumber from their own trees. BR has only 1 very small window (gets hot)

I'm considering building one on the land I bought Tata (I know I don't own it), it would be would probably be 2+ times the size over all (1 1/2 bigger) - maybe 3 to 4 times his  cost - P300,00 to 400,00?

Built to realistic Western concepts with RP methods. Big window in every BR wall (barred of course), screen door (same) - CR attached to  BR - etc. I'D do the electrical and plumbing, learned a lot about  what's common practice here (:scratch_head:) after doing the upstairs CR in main house / our bedroom - "why need outlet every wall - why put screen on window - why screen door - why not just cement toilet into floor?" :biggrin_01:.

image.png.9a0fe9391cc2cb717a3660d73e26d92d.png

image.thumb.png.54848bdfbccc2ccd73c2597d4ab7789e.png

image.thumb.png.aeecd4dfb8dcf118abef6117b3b4735d.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 4
Soupeod
9 hours ago, lamoe said:

This is where we stayed before I left for US. I found it to be adequate but BR somewhat small and DK poorly laid out.

Belongs to Tata's sister / BIL as a "rest house" at night to get away from  people at the main house. 1 BR 10 x 15 ft?, CR under narrow stairs, dirty kitchen / open area  to the right. He said cost P100,000  - BUT - family did the building - he did the wiring  / plumbing , papa  makes the blocks as one of his business's and they cut the lumber from their own trees. BR has only 1 very small window (gets hot)

I'm considering building one on the land I bought Tata (I know I don't own it), it would be would probably be 2+ times the size over all (1 1/2 bigger) - maybe 3 to 4 times his  cost - P300,00 to 400,00?

Built to realistic Western concepts with RP methods. Big window in every BR wall (barred of course), screen door (same) - CR attached to  BR - etc. I'D do the electrical and plumbing, learned a lot about  what's common practice here (:scratch_head:) after doing the upstairs CR in main house / our bedroom - "why need outlet every wall - why put screen on window - why screen door - why not just cement toilet into floor?" :biggrin_01:.

image.png.9a0fe9391cc2cb717a3660d73e26d92d.png

image.thumb.png.54848bdfbccc2ccd73c2597d4ab7789e.png

image.thumb.png.aeecd4dfb8dcf118abef6117b3b4735d.png

Looks like my friends house up near Clark, just add cows. 😅

lamoe
30 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

Looks like my friends house up near Clark, just add cows. 😅

They're in the other pics :biggrin_01:

Since I'm a mosquito magnet I'll be buying a screen room for open area for my "office" -  something like this - had one in states for 2nd floor deck - added extra "flap" to make it easier to get in / out

image.thumb.png.f8eb6486354108e172a7ca563837a452.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 1:21 AM, MJones said:

I live in Valencia Negros Orr, prices here are around P25K perM2, I kind of laugh when I hear the term western standards, very few if any houses are built here in the Philippines to western standards, in spite of the many Foreigners that will tell you theirs is, don't believe a word of it.

For the most part houses here are built using some form of cementitious material, CHB, Concrete Hollow Block, some are CIP cast in place concrete has slightly more advantages than CHB, but I doubt if they would meet the Building requirements in most of the Western World.

Why is this? they are not insulated and have a negative R value, caused by storing heat up during the day and giving that off at night, easy fix for most just put in AC and spend P10K plus a month to cool them down, what about all the brownouts? again an easy fix buy a big generator, AC's and Gens do have lots of problems and need lots of cleaning and maintenance.

Is there an alternative to these, yes there is many, but most would not meet western standards, I am doing something myself at this moment and quite bespoke/ different to the norm here, but that does have its share of problems workers here only know how to lay Lego Blocks, they call them selves Massoons, that kind of rhymes with Buffoons, anything else and they have big problems.

What I am doing is; building a Pillar and Beam structure using welded steel frames, these pillars will be infilled with GI steel studs much the same as wood studs, the outside is clad with Hardiflex and the inside with either the same or perhaps plasterboard for a better finish, Now for insulation, between the cavity I will use cheap Rice Hulls, believe it or not this meets the US building code for insulation material, termites find it indigestible, does not hold water so it will not attract mould, semi fireproof gives enough time to get out of the house but can be treated to improve this quality again very cheap to do. Perhaps this will need some cooling but taking a couple of Beers out of the fridge should do the trick, but do not get drunk or you can die of Hypothermia?

If you are looking for and easy life, have a bit of coin in your pocket, just go with the flow here and be like the rest of the sheep and build in CHB, still comes with its share of headaches, just maybe in another post I can tell you how just about every CHB house built here is compromised in so many ways, they will all be cracking in just a couple of decades. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 7/15/2021 at 6:11 AM, Dafey said:

A couple if nice houses there, but I seem to see from the Pics there is one major structural fault? No beams to tie and provide additional support the pillars? if this is the case it is likely to be no stronger than a house constructed of CHB throughout with no pillars? I would hazard a guess that there may not be cast concrete Lintels above the doors and windows?

• Like 1