The Philippines Has Been Named Least Safe Country in the World

• Administrator
Dafey

The past year was a very challenging time for the whole world. COVID-19 hit all nations, causing economic instability and exposing healthcare issues especially in developing countries. All this while the usual threats of war, natural disaster, and personal security continue to rage on. New York-based Global Finance Magazine considered all these factors in their latest list of "World's Safest Countries," which came out on July 6. Iceland maintains their top spot, while the Philippines remains at the bottom, ranking 134th place out of 134 countries.

According to Global Finance, their list features "updated data and sources, a new time frame, and incorporates each country’s experience and risk from COVID-19." Their last list came out in January 2019, way before the whole world turned upside-down.

The safety score for the countries consider three fundamental factors: war and peace, personal security, and natural disaster risk. The fourth, which was just added for this year's list, is COVID-19 risk. Most of the factors were based on 2020 reports, except for COVID-19 scores, which was derived from data as of May 30 to make it as relevant as possible. "In essence, a country's overall score is made up of one-half fundamental factors, one-third COVID-19 deaths per capita, and one-sixth COVID vaccination per capita," the article explained. Deaths per capita is a "direct measure" of how a country responded to COVID-19, particularly their healthcare infrastructure, government capabilities, political leadership, and culture in face of an unexpected crisis.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/the-philippines-has-been-named-least-safe-country-in-the-world/ar-AALTNx9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
cvgtpc1

Convenient that they left off 50 countries.

• Like 5
Fresh

The Philippines least safe? Maybe if you're a shabu dealer in Manila.

If you're an expat it's one of the most safe.

• Like 5
A_Simple_Man

I thought Venezuela would be the least safe these days:

You should know that Venezuela is not safe for tourists. The US State Department has released an issue for all tourists to reconsider travel to Venezuela due to crime, civil unrest, poor health infrastructure, and detention of U.S. citizens. There are numerous areas that are extremely dangerous.

• Like 1
Paddy

Lies, damn lies and statistics…that headline is utter drivel.

• Like 4
bmoore

It would seem Afghanistan now deserves consideration.  

• Like 3
cogon88

I did not see anything in the Philippine News of 450 shootings on the 4th of July with 150 dead seems USA is trying to take 1st 

• Like 2
BossHog

Try walking around Mogadishu for an hour or so as a solo traveler and see how that works out for you.

• Like 2
softail

I saw a documentary on Syria with graphic pictures representing the more than 250,000 citizens that have been massacred by  the government, not sure how the Philippines compares to that.

Edited by softail
  • Like 1

North Korea is my go to place. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Soupeod
On 7/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, cogon88 said:

I did not see anything in the Philippine News of 450 shootings on the 4th of July with 150 dead seems USA is trying to take 1st 

Oh yeah, its the USA fault again! 😂

• Haha 1
MarinePride

I was at Bluewater Resort on Mactan Island yesterday afternoon, swimming in the ocean and these guys were trying to communicate with me, something about "island hopping" and "banca" were heard by me.  Bear in mind that you pay money to use the facilities, but these guys were in the swimming area of the ocean that the resort claims as theirs.  The blue shirted "security people" didn't seem to have a problem with this.  In the past of course this has always happened, but normally they stay on the boundary of the resort and act like the creepy man in the bushes with their calls to pay them to island hop you somewhere.

Of course, my wife always handles these types of incursions on our leisure by telling the men that we live on the island and there's no island to hop to, except Olango Island and you're not going to paddle over there and back in the remaining 3 hours of daylight.

Just my little anecdotal story, but honestly, it is much safer here than in any big city in the USA, it's not even close.

• Like 1
crazygolfer
37 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

I was at Bluewater Resort on Mactan Island yesterday afternoon, swimming in the ocean and these guys were trying to communicate with me, something about "island hopping" and "banca" were heard by me.  Bear in mind that you pay money to use the facilities, but these guys were in the swimming area of the ocean that the resort claims as theirs.  The blue shirted "security people" didn't seem to have a problem with this.  In the past of course this has always happened, but normally they stay on the boundary of the resort and act like the creepy man in the bushes with their calls to pay them to island hop you somewhere.

Of course, my wife always handles these types of incursions on our leisure by telling the men that we live on the island and there's no island to hop to, except Olango Island and you're not going to paddle over there and back in the remaining 3 hours of daylight.

Just my little anecdotal story, but honestly, it is much safer here than in any big city in the USA, it's not even close.

Perhaps they wanted to bring you to the beautiful islands in the Sulu archipelago.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SkyMan
48 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

Bear in mind that you pay money to use the facilities, but these guys were in the swimming area of the ocean that the resort claims as theirs.

They can't own the ocean, or even the beach.