Jump to content

Flight home via Qatar (American Airlines)


Recommended Posts

lamoe

Qatar scheduled for 6:45 pm Friday - terminal 1 for all flights - left pretty close to on time - got to airport at 3pm - minor hassle getting ECC - check in was a breeze - took awhile but not any hassles -  38 people total on a 777-300ER(34 in economy) - had a full center row to sleep in

10 hours to Doha  - 2 hour layover - 15 hr to Chicago

Doha to Chicago - 777-200LR much smaller seats / aisles and maybe 90% filled - partnered with American Airlines  - Food was very good as expected - all in all not too bad but the 2nd leg was not nearly as pleasant due to number of people and cramped

Doha tip - NO CRs once you pass final inspection - had to exit area and go though process again

$1,500 was $1,200 on EVA but they kept cancelling flights so had less lead time - more $$$

Chicago customs -  Filled out 1 form - picked up luggage (no more US physical inspection) after verifying passport - didn't ask for PCR - took bus home ($28)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey
45 minutes ago, lamoe said:

$1,500 was $1,200 on EVA

Round trip?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

Round trip?

Yep

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
7 hours ago, lamoe said:

Qatar scheduled for 6:45 pm Friday - terminal 1 for all flights - left pretty close to on time - got to airport at 3pm - minor hassle getting ECC - check in was a breeze - took awhile but not any hassles -  38 people total on a 777-300ER(34 in economy) - had a full center row to sleep in

10 hours to Doha  - 2 hour layover - 15 hr to Chicago

Doha to Chicago - 777-200LR much smaller seats / aisles and maybe 90% filled - partnered with American Airlines  - Food was very good as expected - all in all not too bad but the 2nd leg was not nearly as pleasant due to number of people and cramped

Doha tip - NO CRs once you pass final inspection - had to exit area and go though process again

$1,500 was $1,200 on EVA but they kept cancelling flights so had less lead time - more $$$

Chicago customs -  Filled out 1 form - picked up luggage (no more US physical inspection) after verifying passport - didn't ask for PCR - took bus home ($28)

@lamoe   Can you provide a list of the requirements (documents + whatever else you needed ??) you had to meet BEFORE departure? ECC and I assume swab test.. what else?

Reason i ask is that my old friend.. 84..  is contemplating heading back to Canada in August..  but he perceives great difficulty in getting together everything he needs to get on the plane.  That flight through Doha may be a good one, as they also fly direct to Toronto.

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

@lamoe   Can you provide a list of the requirements (documents + whatever else you needed ??) you had to meet BEFORE departure? ECC and I assume swab test.. what else?

Reason i ask is that my old friend.. 84..  is contemplating heading back to Canada in August..  but he perceives great difficulty in getting together everything he needs to get on the plane.  That flight through Doha may be a good one, as they also fly direct to Toronto.

From different websites - slightly different (number of pics , passport pages)

Check the layover times - anywhere from 2 to 9 hours from different sites for Chicago. BTW - my US Visa card would not allow direct billing to Qatar - used Cheap-O-Air
 

Quote

 

"ECCs are valid for one (1) month from when you get them, so you can apply for one as early as a month prior to your departure. You have to submit the following to secure your ECC along with paying the required fees:"

    Application form
    Photocopy of passport (bio page, visa pages, latest arrival)
    Original and photocopy of ACR I-Card
    Photocopy of receipt of latest visa extension
    Photocopy of Order of Downgrading (if applicable)
    Five pieces of 2×2 photos

 

Quote

    Completed application forms. (They supply numerous forms for you to fill in !!)
    6 pcs. colored photo (size 2×2 ) white background. (NOTE: SIX were needed, not the FIVE that web sites say.
    Photocopy of passport (3 Pages: biopage, latest arrival stamp and last visa extension stamp).
    Photo of both sides of Alien Certificate of Registration ACR card. (Must be Current NOT Expired)
    Photocopy AND Original of the Receipt for payment of last visa extension fees. (To be issued with an ECC, you need up to date valid visas)
    Current ACR-I card
    A personal appearance is required for fingerprinting, both electronic scanning and manual ink, and photograph.

 

Edited by lamoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
1 minute ago, lamoe said:

From different websites - slightly different (number of pics , passport pages)

Wasn't asking about requirements to get the ECC.

Was asking what OTHER requirements had to be met? covid documents.  no IATF travel authorization? health certificates? whatabout the 4 or 5 documents that were required some months back.  is all that gone now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Wasn't asking about requirements to get the ECC.

Was asking what OTHER requirements had to be met? covid documents.  no IATF travel authorization? health certificates? whatabout the 4 or 5 documents that were required some months back.  is all that gone now?

PCR was only doc needed - if Qatar and passing through don't forget the 48 hour limit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
15 hours ago, Dafey said:

Round trip?

 

9 hours ago, lamoe said:

Yep

So how do you plan to get back?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

All ready booked - Sept 2nd back

10 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

 

So how do you plan to get back?

All ready booked - Sept 2nd  - if I decide to cut visit short Qatar allows schedule change - just pay additional if required.

The 26 hour (American Doha to US) vs 33 hour (Qatar only) made the less pleasant flight the better choice. Learned which seat to request - bulkhead w/ flip up screen (if not installed - I have  book on tablet to read)

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
38 minutes ago, lamoe said:

All ready booked - Sept 2nd back

But you're on tourist visa, right?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

But you're on tourist visa, right?

Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
6 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Yes

Legally married now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Yes

So you're just kind of hopeful about September then? It may work out for you. My wife's return trip on Cathay was canceled so they refunded half the r/t price which was better then the r/t price minus the one way we used. Of course,  I don't know if they'll refund anything if you can't use the flight because you can't get in the country. 

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Legally married now? 

No

3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

So you're just kind of hopeful about September then? It may work out for you. My wife's return trip on Cathay was canceled so they refunded half the r/t price which was better then the r/t price minus the one way we used. Of course,  I don't know if they'll refund anything if you can't use the flight because you can't get in the country. 

I'll keep in touch with the Philippines Consulate in Chicago ww.chicagopcg.com

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-us/travel-with-confidence.html?iid=ALL51338640

image.thumb.png.ac80b073fe2e22ab93040945d7884338.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido

 You say you are returning sept 2 and your not legally married..so I guess your taking it that the RP might be open to foreigner tourist(hoping your correct) by sept 2?.

Can you show me the link that says the RT-PCR test has to be done less than 48 hours before flight?Is that because your transferring through Qatar?The USA is less than 72 hours(previous post by a member said its what the country of entry requires..

Im a little confused as you can see......

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...