Forgot Windows 10 Password

BossHog

Someone came to me with a laptop with a forgotten password and she couldn't log into Windows. Someone told her I must be good at computers since I'm always looking at a laptop, lol. I had no clue how to fix this problem but watched a few confusing YouTube videos until I found this one.

The video's only 3 minutes long but it took me about 30 minutes of pausing and rewinding while following the instructions. Finally got it fixed and she's got a laptop she can use again.

So if you ever get stuck with this issue, I'd give this method a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
BossHog

If anyone's suspicious and wondering if it is a stolen laptop...it isn't. It belongs to one of my wife's countless relatives and she uses it for high school coursework. I of course asked "how the heck did you forget the password on a computer you use daily!?"

Turns out she uses a third-party cleaner program (Glary Utilities, I'm looking at you.) Doing a routine clean-up yesterday included a registry clean and that somehow deleted the Admin account's visibility on the log-in screen. There was only a guest account which she'd never used and for which didn't know the password. I'd never heard of this before but quick research shows that it's a known issue and I subsequently uninstalled that software from my own computers

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
SkyMan

You are now the family (extended) go to computer guy. Congrats!

• Haha 1
Paddy

I can see why you had to go through the video a few times but ultimately it’s a scarily easy fix!

• Like 2