Investment Advice for Residents of Cebu

RonnyE

Hi All 

Im looking for some advice, I visited Cebu a 12 years ago & have been going 2/3 times a year, well until this dreaded virus has happened, now im locked in the groggy UK! Nevertheless, I am looking to set up a water heating service business over in Cebu.

I feel when it comes to it, investing time into this business over in Cebu could really help myself & the community, I am planning to be using the similar "broker" model that others have been doing over in the UK for example; Boiler Central, Heatable, Boiler Technicians, Boxt etc, through extensive research I look to provide a dedicated service to ensure each home is fitted with the correct heater tailored to the clients needs, whether they want to be "cost efficient", "Green" etc, I'm also looking to provide a quick (24 hour response rate), to the residents of Cebu,

The advice I seek would be, what issues you all face when it comes to your heating? what type of heaters would people typically be looking for? What would be the average cost Annually/Monthly you are currently spending on your heating? Typically I would ask Google, but I felt i'd rather ask the residents of Cebu directly.

Also anyone who has experience within this industry inside the Philippines & could provide me with any tips when creating a business model/plan would be more than appreciated.

Many Thanks & looking forward to seeing you all ASAP!

Ron

• Haha 5
to_dave007
21 minutes ago, RonnyE said:

The advice I seek would be, what issues you all face when it comes to your heating? 

what type of heaters would people typically be looking for?

What would be the average cost Annually/Monthly you are currently spending on your heating?

The advice I seek would be, what issues you all face when it comes to your heating? - answer.. none..  we live in a tropical country so even in the coldest part of the year water is quite ok unheated for this Canadian.  We do have heaters installed at each shower..  but i think it's been 3 years now since they were plugged in.

what type of heaters would people typically be looking for? - answer - not looking for water heater

What would be the average cost Annually/Monthly you are currently spending on your heating? - answer - zero

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
Ozepete

As a small manufacturer of niche refrigeration systems, many years ago we explored the possibility of setting up in Cebu but it all got too complicated, too many impediments. And the only workable model was to make a product there to sell on other markets, IE low costs to manufacture but sell on a more affluent market, Cebu is not an affluent market! My advice is DON'T and note what Dave above says!

• Like 3
Edwin

I think it's a novel idea that needs a competent businessman's insight. Although he doesn't live in Cebu I recommend you seek the advice of James Musselman. He has been in unique business ventures in the Philippines for many years and is quite successful. 

• Like 5
Fresh
15 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

We do have heaters installed at each shower..  but i think it's been 3 years now since they were plugged in.

You only take showers in the day, and when it's sunny? Not every shower gets its water heated by the sun, even on sunny days, look at condos or big housing developments.

16 hours ago, RonnyE said:

what issues you all face when it comes to your heating?

Like dave said we all have the hot water heaters installed in the shower, you can buy them any home improvement store.

What's lacking, everywhere, is something similar that is designed to be used for sinks.

to_dave007
35 minutes ago, Fresh said:

You only take showers in the day, and when it's sunny?

We take shower whenever we want.  We don't have an issue taking a shower with unheated water.  

• Like 2
lamoe
16 minutes ago, Fresh said:

What's lacking, everywhere, is something similar that is designed to be used for sinks.

True, because they wash clothes and dishes in cold water. Tried to get Tata to use even warm water :banghead:

If I want to use hot water at sink I heat  1/2 L in induction kettle.

Same here in Bohol, leave 5 gal jug out all day in sun for evening shower,  if cloudy / rainy, heat water 1 1/2L and add to bucket

Right now temp 88F going up to 92

If I built a "rest house" here I'll try a 25 gal plastic tank (225P) add a small pump  with adjustable pressure switch

• Like 1
Davaoeno
8 hours ago, Fresh said:

You only take showers in the day, and when it's sunny? Not every shower gets its water heated by the sun, even on sunny days, look at condos or big housing developments.

Like dave said we all have the hot water heaters installed in the shower, you can buy them any home improvement store.

I have bought several water heaters here. They always ask if you want a "single" or " a double".   The double is higher wattage and has 2 outlets.  I bought a double for my condo in Winland Towers so I had hot water in both shower and sink

• Like 4
RogerDuMond
On 6/17/2021 at 4:30 PM, RonnyE said:

what type of heaters would people typically be looking for?

This type of individual heater is available at almost every home improvement and hardware store in Cebu. The cost ranges from 2000 pesos and up depending on features and brand name. They are adjustable and heat the water to an individual output.

heater.jpg.b0c7502c282aae892740fbf41469a90b.jpg

:It doesn't seem to me that you would  be able to compete easily in this market.

• Like 2
cvgtpc1

I think the OP is coming from the standpoint of Western style with central water heater and hot and cold water line to each faucet, which I've only seen in hotels, never a home in the Philippines.  That'll be the sticking point I believe.

• Like 1
to_dave007
7 minutes ago, cvgtpc1 said:

I think the OP is coming from the standpoint of Western style with central water heater and hot and cold water line to each faucet, which I've only seen in hotels, never a home in the Philippines.  That'll be the sticking point I believe.

Agree..  Most homes out here in province don't even HAVE hot and cold pipes to the shower.. or sinks in kitchen or CR..  single cold water pipe only.  So the cost to install (retrofit)  central hot water heating would be prohibitive.

• Like 2
lamoe

Some years ago installed an under-sink instant hot water heater (small 1/4 - 1/2L? tank) with its own faucet  - looked like a soap dispenser. Was used if wanted  a cup of instant anything. Now you can get these - 47C = 117F that is hot (112 is recommended upper limit of shower)

image.thumb.png.390c9c7aa0f6c66c53c354713247ffdb.png

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Agree..  Most homes out here in province don't even HAVE hot and cold pipes to the shower.. or sinks in kitchen or CR..  single cold water pipe only.  So the cost to install (retrofit)  central hot water heating would be prohibitive.

Not only that, but many rural municipalities have extremely hard water that would require the installation of a water softener to extend the life of your water heater, and many of your city residences are very small and the loss of space needed for a stand alone heater would be hard to justify. IMHO

• Like 4
cookie47

We have two "instant" heaters One up one down.....(as shown in other posts)

When we have Philippine family visiting and stay overnight  the next time I go to use the hot water in the shower it's been switched off.

The Pilipino is not used to hot water and as Roger mentioned the water is so hard (in my area)that the downstairs one will now not start (hot)... due to "I guess" low flow issues...

There is an undersink version for the kitchen and I've toyed with the idea but due to lack of interest ....NAH....

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 1
East Saxon
On 6/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, Fresh said:

The same type of heater used for showers but the multipoint version will supply shower and faucet or just a faucet for a sink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1