Jump to content

TV / Internet for part time residence


Recommended Posts

topcat72m

Hi again. Yet another question for you guys. 

Location is Minglanilla/Talisay border.

As some of you may recall I posted about getting aircon installed. 

Thats done now and working.

I'm not able to get back to my home yet due to the restrictions. I was hoping by the end of this year (November/December) but who knows. 

What I'm thinking about now is getting some entertainment while at home. I won't be there for enough of the year to take out a full time contract on Sky or similar. I was wondering if there is any service available on a pay as you use basis. Like prepaid phone. But for tv channels. And Internet if possible. 

 

Internet is not as important as I can use mobile network. But some English language TV would be great. 

Thanks in advance 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod

Gsat , Cignal prepaid, pay monthly. Probably more out there for TV.

Internet, get a pocket wifi 

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007

[email protected] prepaid.  Pay 1000 peso for the box..  and have wi fi internet access..  999 peso buys 1GB/day + 70GB for the month which gets you quite a bit of youtube..  and likely netflix if you want. load it from GCASH app and manage with [email protected] app

Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat72m
2 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Gsat , Cignal prepaid, pay monthly. Probably more out there for TV.

Internet, get a pocket wifi 

Can you get Cignal TV prepaid on a monthly basis. Will they install on this basis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
crazygolfer

Google and read up on TVIP. A greyzone but you'll get ALL channels you want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy
4 hours ago, topcat72m said:

Can you get Cignal TV prepaid on a monthly basis. Will they install on this basis. 

Yes. It’s how many folk get more than a few fuzzy broadcast channels. If you install it, and disappear a few months later, you’re only going to be out the initial 1-2k cost. 
 

The Cignal box comes with an ID number. You load to that number - pretty much the same as a pre-paid phone. How much you load determines how many channels and how long they will work. Until we installed fibre cable services, we used to spend about 600 pesos per month. Loading was done by one of the sari-sari stores in the village. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat72m
8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yes. It’s how many folk get more than a few fuzzy broadcast channels. If you install it, and disappear a few months later, you’re only going to be out the initial 1-2k cost. 
 

The Cignal box comes with an ID number. You load to that number - pretty much the same as a pre-paid phone. How much you load determines how many channels and how long they will work. Until we installed fibre cable services, we used to spend about 600 pesos per month. Loading was done by one of the sari-sari stores in the village. 

Perfect. Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kabisay-an gid
On 6/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, Soupeod said:

Internet, get a pocket wifi 

 

Pocket wifi devices don't work in a lot of areas.

 

On 6/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, to_dave007 said:

[email protected] prepaid.  Pay 1000 peso for the box..  and have wi fi internet access..  999 peso buys 1GB/day + 70GB for the month which gets you quite a bit of youtube..  and likely netflix if you want. load it from GCASH app and manage with [email protected] app

 

[email protected] doesn't work in a lot of areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

 

Pocket wifi devices don't work in a lot of areas.

 

 

[email protected] doesn't work in a lot of areas.

I had the globe device before. No different to phone connection. I can use phone as a WiFi router. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, topcat72m said:

Can you get Cignal TV prepaid on a monthly basis. Will they install on this basis. 

The wifey does something like that. Got the dish but only pays for periods when the Korean Soaps are hot and heavy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, topcat72m said:

Hi again. Yet another question for you guys. 

Location is Minglanilla/Talisay border.

As some of you may recall I posted about getting aircon installed. 

Thats done now and working.

I'm not able to get back to my home yet due to the restrictions. I was hoping by the end of this year (November/December) but who knows. 

What I'm thinking about now is getting some entertainment while at home. I won't be there for enough of the year to take out a full time contract on Sky or similar. I was wondering if there is any service available on a pay as you use basis. Like prepaid phone. But for tv channels. And Internet if possible. 

 

Internet is not as important as I can use mobile network. But some English language TV would be great. 

Thanks in advance 

I just  use chromecast to TV .... YouTube netflix.. you name it.         You probably dont even need a Device if you have a smart TV.    

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What I mean is... I don't subscribe to a "TV" service.    I just cast or live stream my Youtube movies and shows directly from my phone to my TV.     With "smart" TV's you dont even need to buy a special adapter .     I don't have a smart TV so I bought a Chromcast .. about 40.00 .          You connect via your wifi router in your home.     Youtube movies are super easy and cheap and you dont have to to have  netflix account.  etc..   however you can cast Netflix , hulu, ..etc.   

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
topcat72m
8 hours ago, samatm said:

What I mean is... I don't subscribe to a "TV" service.    I just cast or live stream my Youtube movies and shows directly from my phone to my TV.     With "smart" TV's you dont even need to buy a special adapter .     I don't have a smart TV so I bought a Chromcast .. about 40.00 .          You connect via your wifi router in your home.     Youtube movies are super easy and cheap and you dont have to to have  netflix account.  etc..   however you can cast Netflix , hulu, ..etc.   

As I said above. I'm trying to avoid a yearly subscription for tv or Internet. I use these services in Ireland but I have 500mbs fibre on a yearly contract. I will be in the Philippines only a month or 2 at a time for next couple of years. So a service that is monthly pay as I use is what I'm really interested in. 

The mobile Internet is fine for use while I'm there short term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod
9 hours ago, samatm said:

What I mean is... I don't subscribe to a "TV" service.    I just cast or live stream my Youtube movies and shows directly from my phone to my TV.     With "smart" TV's you dont even need to buy a special adapter .     I don't have a smart TV so I bought a Chromcast .. about 40.00 .          You connect via your wifi router in your home.     Youtube movies are super easy and cheap and you dont have to to have  netflix account.  etc..   however you can cast Netflix , hulu, ..etc.   

except No real time sports with your system I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod
4 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

As I said above. I'm trying to avoid a yearly subscription for tv or Internet. I use these services in Ireland but I have 500mbs fibre on a yearly contract. I will be in the Philippines only a month or 2 at a time for next couple of years. So a service that is monthly pay as I use is what I'm really interested in. 

The mobile Internet is fine for use while I'm there short term. 

Cignal TV is a satalite service, you pay the initial costs for equipment and installation. Then pay as you go. Usually carry English FC league.

Gsat close to the same.

Internet - you have many companies Pldt, globe and smart offering different types like over the air radio frequencies to cell towers, cable, fiber optic, and dsl. Some are   
available depending on your location and some are no contract required. Call them or visit a store. 

Internet viewing - Netflix et al all determine your location over the internet unless you use a vpn in the PH.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...