Jump to content

Eco-friendly shopping bags


Recommended Posts

Kreole

Because I was in quarantine last week, my neighbor did the shopping for me.  The list was short, just some vegetables and chicken thighs.  So, imagine my surprise when she arrived with her Eco-friendly shopping bag, reached in and grabbed the paper bag full of chicken, pulled it out without any chicken in it, as the bottom had fallen out.  I asked why she put wet chicken in a paper bag.  Her reply was that the vendor is no longer allowed to use plastic and she did not bring any. 

The vendor is a friend of mine and I asked her recently why the paper bag.  She said there was a municipal meeting and the government decided to be eco-friendly and ban the use of plastic bags.  One of the vendors, who stood up in the meeting complained that the paper bags are made of tissue paper and can barely hold dry goods let alone wet fish or chicken.  The politicians said that the environment was more important to protect even if you have to use paper bags.  End of discussion. 

Since politicians live on a separate planet than the rest of us, I suggested that she invite all the politicians in the room to some "free" chicken at her stall in the market, which I am sure they would gladly accept.  So, when they arrived for their "free" wet chicken she was to place it in the paper bag as required by law, and, as she was handing it over to them, she might shake it just a little so the bottom was saturated with water.  Of course the chicken would then fall to the floor or preferably on their feet and, as she picked it up, she would ask the politician if s/he happened to have a plastic bag or would they prefer to carry it home in their pocket? 

Nothing like real life experience to teach the totally clueless, unsympathetic politicians (may the farce be with you) that they also are subject to the same stupid policies that they impose on others.  One thing more:  the proliferation of so-called "eco-friendly" bags is just a farce in the case the shopper has to purchase wet produce, meat, fowl or fish.  Besides, Filipinos were way ahead of the curve by converting used rice sacks to make "eco-friendly" shopping bags which will last many more years than the new ones that you now see everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Kreole

    10

  • lamoe

    3

  • HongKongPhooey

    2

  • samatm

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far better than passing over your tastebuds.  Yuch.  

Okay guys, the topic is the ever popular and riveting "Eco-friendly paper bags" Please, take your circle jerk to another forum

Just have yourself a bag like this. Been using this bayong bag since 2012 until now.

Posted Images

lamoe

Have seen double and even triple paper bagging - Tata always asks for double plastic bags at the fish / meat section prior to check out then we put into our carriers - cooler for fish / meat (on bottom) - also  open one rated at 45 Kg - added S kooks for plastic bags we bring with us

image.thumb.png.7d6f6408df28d283d1862ef931c3e4d8.png

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
3 hours ago, Kreole said:

One thing more:  the proliferation of so-called "eco-friendly" bags is just a farce in the case the shopper has to purchase wet produce, meat, fowl or fish.  Filipinos were way ahead of the curve by converting used rice sacks to make "eco-friendly" shopping bags which will last many more years than the new ones that you now see everywhere.

Brought mine from Canada some years ago.  A bit beat up now..  but still in use every market day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
mikewright

Sixty years ago we used string bags. Folded into a shirt pocket, strong enough to hold a week's groceries.q

All the paper bags went into the string bag. No spills, and the purchase wen "on the the bill", paid for at the end of the month.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mikewright said:

Sixty years ago we used string bags. Folded into a shirt pocket, strong enough to hold a week's groceries.q

All the paper bags went into the string bag. No spills, and the purchase wen "on the the bill", paid for at the end of the month.

 

Was that in the US?  I am 73 and I do not remember string bags.  What I do remember is that mom never set foot in the grocery store as it was my sole responsibility to do the grocery shopping, peddling my bicycle all over town having to visit at least 6 stores to pick up advertised "specials" or coupon specials which my mom always clipped from the newspaper.  We were pretty poor then; single mom 3 kids and no money from our father who moved to Alaska to avoid child support. 

We always saved the large shopping bags with the jute string handles, which never broke.  We just wore the paper portion of those bags out so I would always ask for new ones (double bags) which I would hang from my handle bars since I had no carrier on the back fender.   Then there were the not-so-fun times shopping in the rain and the bags becoming soaked and the bottom falling out.  I had to stuff all the items I could get into my shirt and jacket and pray that mom would not punish me.  Yeah, those were the good ole post war days of recycling and economy shopping.

Edited by Kreole
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
bernadette

Just have yourself a bag like this. Been using this bayong bag since 2012 until now.

197275231_10224453259055509_5397873887256237950_n.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
HongKongPhooey

You do realise there was a time in history, actually most of human history, when people brought home meat from the market without a plastic bag? They didn’t starve to death because meat fell on the floor and they didn’t have to put it in their pockets either. 

You know what you are shopping for, you know they don’t have plastic bags, plan appropriately like an adult. I’m not an eco-nazi, but maybe at least try. Do you also complain about why the beaches are so polluted, or are you cool with that?

And another thing, don’t wrap meat in plastic, especially chicken, wrap it in butcher paper.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
HongKongPhooey
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, Kreole said:

Since politicians live on a separate planet than the rest of us, I suggested that she invite all the politicians in the room to some "free" chicken at her stall in the market, which I am sure they would gladly accept.  So, when they arrived for their "free" wet chicken she was to place it in the paper bag as required by law, and, as she was handing it over to them, she might shake it just a little so the bottom was saturated with water.  Of course the chicken would then fall to the floor or preferably on their feet and, as she picked it up, she would ask the politician if s/he happened to have a plastic bag or would they prefer to carry it home in their pocket? 

Also, this didn’t happen. But good story bro.

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
samatm

Green madness.   plastic bags are much easier on  the environment than paper.    Paper is more is expensive .  the  "Eco" bags sold are another scam.

The bayong bag above is a great alternative. 

I also get ticked off with the anti straw movement.... Jollibee gave me a drink at the  drive through with the lid sealed with tape.    I asked for a straw.  Sorry sir... we don't provide straws..she pointed to her little Eco placard.   So Im trying to take off the taped cover so I can drink it..and the coke zero spills all over my lap.      I ask the employee..    "Miss,  Im in my car ..why would you tape the lid on the drink and not provide a straw?"  I just spilled Coke Zero all over myself trying to untape the cover so I can drink.  Why would you do  that?"   Sorry sir can I get you a new drink?  I will call the manager.....  

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
rfm010
22 minutes ago, samatm said:

the coke zero spills all over my lap.     

Far better than passing over your tastebuds.  Yuch.

 

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
wondersailor

They have gone a step better in my town, paper bags made of old folded newspaper. Now, if you make it home with your food still in the bag, you can read the news on your dinner instead of with it. How thoughtful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

old folded newspaper

Fish and chips were always served in newspaper (protected buy one sheet of greaseproof paper) well into the 70s in the UK untill the health police got involved...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Fish and chips were always served in newspaper (protected buy one sheet of greaseproof paper) well into the 70s in the UK untill the health police got involved...

Mmmm..  wouldn't mind some of those fish and chips today.. now that you mention it...  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Fish and chips were always served in newspaper (protected buy one sheet of greaseproof paper) well into the 70s in the UK untill the health police got involved...

Shoot, I remember getting my fish and chips, late 90s, in the UK in newspaper. I still miss them! 

off topic - I miss the Turkish brothers shawarma.! 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreole
18 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

You do realise there was a time in history, actually most of human history, when people brought home meat from the market without a plastic bag? They didn’t starve to death because meat fell on the floor and they didn’t have to put it in their pockets either. 

You know what you are shopping for, you know they don’t have plastic bags, plan appropriately like an adult. I’m not an eco-nazi, but maybe at least try. Do you also complain about why the beaches are so polluted, or are you cool with that?

And another thing, don’t wrap meat in plastic, especially chicken, wrap it in butcher paper.

On what planet do you live, Phooey?  certainly not in the PH, where I have never seen butcher paper.  Maybe it exists in gourmet meat shops where foreigners can only afford to shop.  That said, I completely agree with you that that would be the solution to plastic or paper bags.  That is a good advice for foreigners, but when have you seen Filipinos coming with plastic bags?  Also, when was the last time you went to a Filipino open market?  How many Filipinos came with plastic bags?  Advice for foreigners is quite legitimate but does not apply to Filipinos when one day to the next the policies change and they do not find out until they get to the market.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...