Georges St-Pierre on eating one meal a day and the carnivore diet

fred42

This is a long video but extremely educational to me..
This woman has eaten nothing but meat only once a day for 4 years..
She gets a full body scan and the Doctor is pretty much stunned by the findings.
Seems like she is the most healthy individual that he has EVER observed after viewing full scan results.
How can that be given what we have been told for the last 40 years?

• Thanks 3
DeedleNuts
4 minutes ago, fred42 said:

How can that be given what we have been told for the last 40 years?

The food pyramid was drawn by the Dept of Agriculture. Once one understands this, everything else becomes clear. 

• Like 4
Chris24

Good post.  After many years of not paying much attention to diet, I've been on a weight loss campaign for the past two months and am learning some things about my body.  Since starting I've focused on intermittent fasting and greatly reducing the amount of carbs taken in.  Mostly I've been eating only in the mid-afternoon to early evening, eating high-protein foods like fish along with "super-salads" containing a variety of greens plus eggs, nuts, and some fruit like strawberries or blueberries while trying to go light on the dressing.  Also, one thing I've learned about my body is that I can burn fat by exercising in a fasted state.  The energy has to come from somewhere, so the body turns to its fat stores.  I've read that one sign that your body is successfully re-tuning to use its fat stores is if 1) you can exercise in a fasted state without feeling overly fatigued, and 2) you aren't super-hungry immediately afterward.  I think that the intermittent fasting is a way to train your body to not need carbs as a constant supply of energy, and the exercise of course burns fat.

One piece of trivia:  where does stored body fat go when your body burns it?   Research shows that during weight loss, 84 percent of the fat that is lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs, whereas the remaining 16 percent becomes water, according to the study published today (Dec. 16) in a special Christmas issue of the medical journal BMJ.

https://www.livescience.com/49157-how-fat-is-lost-body.html#:~:text=The researchers showed that during,the study published today (Dec.

• Like 3
fred42
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Chris24 said:

Good post.  After many years of not paying much attention to diet, I've been on a weight loss campaign for the past two months and am learning some things about my body.  Since starting I've focused on intermittent fasting and greatly reducing the amount of carbs taken in.  Mostly I've been eating only in the mid-afternoon to early evening, eating high-protein foods like fish along with "super-salads" containing a variety of greens plus eggs, nuts, and some fruit like strawberries or blueberries while trying to go light on the dressing.  Also, one thing I've learned about my body is that I can burn fat by exercising in a fasted state.  The energy has to come from somewhere, so the body turns to its fat stores.  I've read that one sign that your body is successfully re-tuning to use its fat stores is if 1) you can exercise in a fasted state without feeling overly fatigued, and 2) you aren't super-hungry immediately afterward.  I think that the intermittent fasting is a way to train your body to not need carbs as a constant supply of energy, and the exercise of course burns fat.

One piece of trivia:  where does stored body fat go when your body burns it?   Research shows that during weight loss, 84 percent of the fat that is lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs, whereas the remaining 16 percent becomes water, according to the study published today (Dec. 16) in a special Christmas issue of the medical journal BMJ.

https://www.livescience.com/49157-how-fat-is-lost-body.html#:~:text=The researchers showed that during,the study published today (Dec.

I was feeling like shit for months with lots of cramps behind ribs and joint pains..

I went on a 15 day Snake juice fast. After 7 days,pain just left me,, Unreal.
Now Im on a OMAD Keto (one meal per day without Carbs or sugar) and for the very first time in my life I`m shredding the fat like crazy!!
Unbelievable.
After 2 months The Mrs reckons I look like I did 30 years ago and keeps jumping on me.. Madness.

"Get off me Biatch"!!

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2
DeedleNuts
Posted (edited)

I've been trying various things to get blood sugar under better control. Keto, intermittent fasting, etc do seem to be useful according to how I feel and a handy glucose meter.

If my previous comment offended, rest assured it was merely meant to express my ancient frustration with a trusted but incompetent source giving dietary advice which was believed and followed by citizens enmasse which, along with other factors, has resulted in a wave of ill health in those who were young in and around the 1980s who accepted said advice. The dinosaur cartoon my nieces watch gave better advice IMO: Eat plenty, mostly plants, mostly green. 

For me, just avoiding carb loaded food makes me feel better and makes the previously mentioned meter happy. Mostly salads and meats. 

YMMV as they say. 

43 minutes ago, fred42 said:

After 2 months The Mrs reckons I look like I did 30 years ago and keeps jumping on me..

What a problem you have

Edited by DeedleNuts
  • Like 4
fred42

If this Carnivore diet is widely adopted only because it works, how much shorter will the Planets history become?

DeedleNuts
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

If this Carnivore diet is widely adopted only because it works, how much shorter will the Planets history become?

Eating a lot of green vegetables (as per the actual Atkins diet) and some meat doesn't seem like something a reasonable person would gripe about. 

• Like 1
cookie47

Thanks all,,,This is good information and supports my observations on  Carbs.

We (mainly me) have been eating a lot of meat lately and down to two meal day with very little plenty of Pork and chicken...(not in position due to Covide to find decent beef. (Having lived in Australia (and on a cattle station) my wife won't buy it)..☹️

Once I stopped my wife giving me bucket loads of rice 3 time a day I notice a weight and wellbeing improvement.I tried apple cider vinegar in the mornings but really didn't notice any changes ,BUT half teaspoon of Salt (nothing fancy) did show a definate improvement in well being partularly after a few hours of outside work on my car. I think we were and have been hoodwinked into how bad salt is,,, HOWEVER,,, I admit some medical conditions may require low Salt. I need to get some potassium powder now although I have been hopping into the banana's. ...

• Like 1
Fresh
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chris24 said:

I can burn fat by exercising in a fasted state.  The energy has to come from somewhere, so the body turns to its fat stores.

Not exactly. When you're exercising in a fasting state, you will primarily burn protein when your glycogen stores are gone.  Your body needs to break down muscle to get all the necessary components because body fat can't be turned into glucose. So your body will use protein as a source of energy when carbohydrate supply is low, converting them to glucose in the liver (gluconeogenesis). 

During pronged fasting, hepatic gluconeogenesis is the primary source of endogenous glucose production. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4967730/

You will also burn fat but primarily from consumed dietary fat:

Consumption of a high-fat diet necessitates an increased rate of fat oxidation to maintain body composition. Elevated fat oxidation during exercise after a high-fat diet may have additional benefits for physical endurance, because a high-fat diet might spare muscle glycogen use. https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00159.2003

There are also issues with IF and exercise with regards to getting an adequate supply of dietary protein.

Edited by Fresh
  • Thanks 1
DeedleNuts
10 hours ago, fred42 said:

Biggest sacrifice is no more Ice cold SMB`s.. 
Not really a lover of SMB light but might have to suffer drinking them as according to the page below it only contains 2 grams of carbs per bottle.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/san-miguel-light-beer-51494714

I always preferred the light version anyway - it's basically safe-to-drink water with a little flavor. Just the thing for tropical weather ;)

fred42
22 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

I always preferred the light version anyway - it's basically safe-to-drink water with a little flavor. Just the thing for tropical weather ;)

Strange thing   but i checked the back of a bottle of light today and it says the word sugar.. Not sure why that word was there but I thought Id ask for a cup of black coffee and a shot of vodka instead untiI I found out.

• Haha 1
DeedleNuts
49 minutes ago, fred42 said:

Strange thing   but i checked the back of a bottle of light today and it says the word sugar.. Not sure why that word was there but I thought Id ask for a cup of black coffee and a shot of vodka instead untiI I found out.

When I was living there I started drinking whiskey and club soda for the first time in my life. It's pretty good actually. Most beers have some sugars in them - it's what's left when the yeast was stopped I believe. BiL makes beer and I can check but pretty sure that's how it works. 

fred42
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

When I was living there I started drinking whiskey and club soda for the first time in my life. It's pretty good actually. Most beers have some sugars in them - it's what's left when the yeast was stopped I believe. BiL makes beer and I can check but pretty sure that's how it works. 

Proper beer is not brewed with refined sugar.. The reason the grain is malted (early germinated stage) is because in that state it contains it`s own internal sugars..Once the yeast starts working,it eats these sugars until they are completely consumed and converted to alcohol at around 4-5% volume.
Point is there should be zero sugar content!
I do not know the science involved in producing light beer but I am now beginning to wonder.

Edited by fred42
Fresh
On 6/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, fred42 said:

Not really a lover of SMB light but might have to suffer drinking them as according to the page below it only contains 2 grams of carbs per bottle

San Mig Light has 3 grams of carbs and 100 calories

San Mig Zero has 2 grams of carbs and 60 calories...and zero taste