Never ask a Filipino more than one question at a time...

Kreole

I have noted numerous times that if I ask a Filipino more than one question, even two, they will only answer only one, or they will answer both  or additional questions with one answer, which leaves you wondering to which question they were replying.  Has anyone else had this experience?  It has happened so many times in my years here, I wonder if there is some cultural taboo against answering multiple questions in the order they were being asked.  Perhaps it is the way that Filipinos brains are wired since there are many quirky differences in mannerisms among the worlds populations.  For example, American Indians have often wondered why whites always comment on the weather conditions as in, "what a beautiful day".  Indians don't reply because they think it redundant to comment on the obvious.

• Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Kreole

• Swissrider

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know English is not your first language, but that's not what multitasking means. Thinking creatively is seldom found in Filipinos you may encounter working in fast food restaurants or department sto

Dissagree... Probably because the Europeans would not answer more than 1 question at a time? Or because she was patient knowing she had a communications gap? Sorry, Kreole's question is bi

I'd suspect that American Indians do talk about the weather among themselves. That Filipinos can answer multiple questions also seems likely. What is even more probable is that these people just don't

Swissrider
I have noted numerous times that if I ask a Filipino more than one question, even two, they will only answer only one, or they will answer both  or additional questions with one answer, which leaves you wondering to which question they were replying.  Has anyone else had this experience?  It has happened so many times in my years here, I wonder if there is some cultural taboo against answering multiple questions in the order they were being asked.  Perhaps it is the way that Filipinos brains are wired since there are many quirky differences in mannerisms among the worlds populations.  For example, American Indians have often wondered why whites always comment on the weather conditions as in, "what a beautiful day".  Indians don't reply because they think it redundant to comment on the obvious.
Multitasking, thinking outside the box or thinking creatively is seldom found in Filipinos. I think this has no cultural aspect, but rather lies in the school system here. But Filipinos are popular abroad for monotonous and boring jobs. This is a bit generalizing because there are certainly exceptions. But your observations regarding one or more questions are true. There are other examples of multitasking in the Philippines: Try changing your order several times at a restaurant. It won't work and will end in complete chaos. And that also applies to asking several questions at the same time. This completely confuses Filipinos. Also when I was new here I was wondering why they often repeated my question before answering it in the first place.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Haha 1
A_Simple_Man
3 hours ago, Kreole said:

if I ask a Filipino more than one question, even two, they will only answer only one, or they will answer both

I suppose it is because English is not their first language.  Is it the same for you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Swissrider
I suppose it is because English is not their first language.  Is it the same for you?
True, english is not my first language. I guess yours is. But strange enough you did not quite understand what Kreole was asking nor did you get my answer into in your english speaking brain. Furthermore, for playing the language card you are probably the wrong person. You speak only one language. We Europeans often 3 or 4. Hast Du das verstanden ?

• Haha 1
A_Simple_Man
20 minutes ago, Swissrider said:

But strange enough you did not quite understand what Kreole was asking nor did you get my answer

Yeah.  True enough.  Looked to me like you were both just putting down Filipinos for their lack of English skills, like pots and kettles it seems to me.  I know quite a few Filipinos who are extremely skilled in English and they are nothing like what you 2 describe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Swissrider
Yeah.  True enough.  Looked to me like you were both just putting down Filipinos for their lack of English skills, like pots and kettles it seems to me.  I know quite a few Filipinos who are extremely skilled in English and they are nothing like what you 2 describe.
OK, the lack of english skills might be the reason sometimes. But I think often this is not the case. See my answer. By no means I want to put down Filipinos. Otherwise I would not have been married to a Filipina for over 20 years. But this are just a few things which I had to get used to it in this country. Different countries different habits and standards. Take it or leave it. I can live with it for sure, no problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Davaoeno
8 hours ago, Swissrider said:

thinking creatively is seldom found in Filipinos. I

You obviously haven't met many Filipinos. Most are very creative. But then of course you are trapped in your European idea of standards. 

You want to see creativity?  Try dealing with the scammers I deal with in my business everyday !  These guys have moves I never even imagined!  Lol

• Like 5
BossHog

I'd suspect that American Indians do talk about the weather among themselves. That Filipinos can answer multiple questions also seems likely. What is even more probable is that these people just don't want to talk to you.

Plenty of white Americans also do the bare minimum in the low-wage service industry and are prone to monosyllabic replies while thinking "they don't pay me enough for this shit."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
lamoe

Asking multiple questions is akin to requiring multitasking. Not the same as giving sequential directions or walking / chewing gum at the same time which need no conscious effort (expect walking on sidewalks here which requires full attention.:biggrin_01:) Multitasking: The Art of Messing Up Several Things at Once. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/multitasking-art-messing-up-several-things-once-vartika-kashyap

"‘When we multi-task, it actually makes our brain stressed. It triggers the release of stress-hormone Cortisol, which is shown to adversely affect the mental capacity of the person. In fact, according to one of the recent researches even having the opportunity to multi-task is shown to lower our ability to effectively manage tasks, solve problems - lowering our IQ points by up to 10.’" In one of the other studies focusing on the relationship between multitasking and productivity, it was found that multitasking leads to an almost 40% decrease in productivity. "

• Administrator
Dafey

If I need an accurate answer, (particularly on this forum), I only ask one question at a time

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
Kreole
6 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I am sorry to see this post being dragged down into one with racist overtones.  I do not think it has anything to do with race, and much more to do with culture and education as Swissrider has pointed out.  I know quite a few intelligent, educated, Filipinos who are proficient in English and still exhibit this response especially while texting.  Rather than ask them why, which they might consider criticism, I have learned to just ask one question at a time.  The focus of the post was to ask if other foreigners have experienced or noticed the same thing and hopefully to be enlightened as to the cause.  Can we stick to that?

43 minutes ago, Dafey said:

If I need an accurate answer, (particularly on this forum), I only ask one question at a time

Beautiful reply.  ha ha

2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Asking multiple questions is akin to requiring multitasking. Not the same as giving sequential directions or walking / chewing gum at the same time which need no conscious effort (expect walking on sidewalks here which requires full attention.:biggrin_01:) Multitasking: The Art of Messing Up Several Things at Once. 

Wow!  that is an interesting insight.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
Kreole
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Swissrider said:

Also when I was new here I was wondering why they often repeated my question before answering it in the first place.

Yes this was annoying to me at first, especially at HP testing center.  But I have come to appreciate this, since any mistake can have grave consequences.  It gets even funnier.  Instead of asking me to repeat my name at each different window, one even asked my birth date, which, I thought was rather creative, to weed out trolls or imposters.  ha ha

Edited by Kreole
Daddle
14 hours ago, Kreole said:

I have noted numerous times that if I ask a Filipino more than one question, even two, they will only answer only one, or they will answer both  or additional questions with one answer, which leaves you wondering to which question they were replying. 

How strange! Whenever I ask a question, or two, all I get back is another question. Seriously. Never an answer.

I can do the same thing if I set my mind to it. But nobody seems to care. The conversation just dangles with nothing accomplished.

• Haha 1
lamoe
14 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Yes this was annoying to me at first, especially at HP testing center.  But I have come to appreciate this, since any mistake can have grave consequences.  It gets even funnier.  Instead of asking me to repeat my name at each different window, one even asked my birth date, which, I thought was rather creative, to weed out trolls or imposters.  ha ha

Depending on background may be familiar with - repeating questions / instructions being SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)

28 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Wow!  that is an interesting insight.  Thanks for posting.

Not my original concept

• Like 1
lamoe
6 minutes ago, Daddle said:

How strange! Whenever I ask a question, or two, all I get back is another question. Seriously. Never an answer.

I can do the same thing if I set my mind to it. But nobody seems to care. The conversation just dangles with nothing accomplished.

As you've described it - that is a cultural aspect - answering a question is taking responsibility for the answer - "do you have this in the stock room?" easier to say no than  check. Same as answering the phone -  I never expect it to be answered when calling a business.

Example: Tata needed some medicine - 6 different pharmacies within 1 km of Fuentes Circle - no stock sir - "generic" no sir. Finally 7th one - no stock sir / generic? -" no but let me call your doctor "- doc authorized a different brand - point is the other 6 didn't want to take responsibility of calling and asking.

• Like 1