Why prescription glasses are so expensive in US ($400+) vs here ($14 / $20)

lamoe

The 3 tests done by Perez Optical in Ayala were same as in US and at Aces. Had the test results from Aces to compare. My latest single vision ones were P700 and took two days - delay due to extreme strength required. They are also double hinged, which provides most comfortable fit. Multi-prescription individual lens typically require custom manufacture.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you are confusing progressive with transition lenses. Transition are lenses that change with light conditions from dark to light or vice versa. Progressive lenses are a type of multi

I have trifocals with the lines, not progressives. When I first went from bifocals to trifocals about 4 years ago, I had friends that told me the progressives were really hard to get used to...like Da

Have been wearing glasses for a long time as well. Was getting my glasses at Costco for the last ten years and they were averaging $125 a pair for regular prescription with tint and anti-scratch coati

Posted Images

cookie47
The 3 tests done by Perez Optical in Ayala were same as in US and at Aces. Had the test results from Aces to compare. My latest single vision ones were P700 and took two days - delay due to extreme strength required. They are also double hinged, which provides most comfortable fit. Multi-prescription individual lens typically require custom manufacture.

Good post, and quite correct.
I've worn glasses since the age of 9..(had a few pairs) so to speak..

Last prescription from Australia $600.AU

Small shop in SM Mabolo about 3 years ago.$150.AU..And they had all the same features as Australia...
Transition,Coated for night driving,and Titanium frames ...

I'm well overdue for a test and replacement due to Covide.

Have considered on Line, but like clothes I do like to try things before buying.A similar program featuring the same rip off issue was also aired in Australian TV some years ago..

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

Kreole

I wonder why China has not done knock-offs?  It seems like the perfect industry to fake, since there is no excuse besides monopoly and greed for the prices to be so astronomically high.  I assume the Philippines has somehow ducked the voracious "eye wear" monster and been able to find other brands that are affordable for Filipinos.  Even so, I am still astounded by the prices I see here, wondering why anyone would buy a "brand" when for a fraction of the price they could buy an equally functional off brand and be perfectly happy with the results.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey

I haven't been able to find tri-focals in the Philippines.

• Like 1
cookie47
51 minutes ago, Kreole said:

China has not done knock-offs?

Well I don't know about "Brand" knockoffs ,As I alluded to in my Post, their are a number of websites (that are probably Chinese?) that guide you through correctly measuring your frame dimensions, choose your frames,and the frames are cheap...You just have to supply your optical prescription (find an optician that will give you the figures, which I found quite difficult in Australia as they want to sell you the whole package.  and then add any features.. (  The glasses arrive in the post (which is problematic in the Philippines)...

cookie47
25 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Ahh Ok, I've never used/seen the word tri  Focals Used . ...I've had "Transitions"  for a while now. (Maybe 10 years including in the Philippines)..Lenses that  go from distance to reading (and everything else in between). Maybe one and the same....?

• Like 1
BossHog
Posted (edited)

Sorry but good quality optics of any description are gonna cost you. A few dollars for a pair of reading glasses from the drugstore is absolutely fine if you're just gonna read the paper. But if you want properly coated lenses and stuff they won't be cheap.

Sure you can buy a $19 monocular attachment for your phone and tell people it's better than a Canon 500mm f/4 prime because it has 'longer range'. Or buy a pair of Russian-styled 12-25x50 binoculars from a peddlar at Carbon Market for 900 pesos which are 'much stronger' than a Zeiss 10x42 Victory pair.

Sometimes you do really get what you pay for and optics buying is one of those times. Of course eyeglasses in the States can be unnecessarily expensive but mostly for the branded frames or getting upsold for lens options you don't need or understand.

If you want good 'glass' of any type though you're always going to have to pay.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
cookie47
Posted (edited)

A

25 minutes ago, BossHog said:

glass'

Most opticians in Australia have transferred to Acrylic lenses (which I've have now which are optically equal, And most importantly (in my trade) shatterproof with the same impact rating as commercial safety glasses.

The weight difference is amazing compared to glass . Slightly easier to scratch but I haven't found this to be a big issue.I always have antiglare coating for night driving, Transition lenses (Distance and reading ..Much better than the old Bi Focals. ,Photo chromatic, (Auto darkening .)..This all paird with Titanium frames......so yes they have been expensive.

Edited by cookie47
Addition
BossHog
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

so yes they have been expensive.

Exactly. You knew what you needed and wanted and got it and paid for it.

I guess my point was that it's apples and oranges and misleading to compare a 13 dollar and 400 dollar pair of eyeglasses. I was reacting to the video and not your comments.

ps. I did put 'glass' in quotes as I'm aware that eyeglass lenses aren't typically made from actual glass in this century.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
lamoe
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I wonder why China has not done knock-offs?  It seems like the perfect industry to fake, since there is no excuse besides monopoly and greed for the prices to be so astronomically high.  I assume the Philippines has somehow ducked the voracious "eye wear" monster and been able to find other brands that are affordable for Filipinos.  Even so, I am still astounded by the prices I see here, wondering why anyone would buy a "brand" when for a fraction of the price they could buy an equally functional off brand and be perfectly happy with the results.

Part of it is the fear they've instilled in the sellers. Look at Ray Ban. If they catch a store selling knock offs will pull their entire line and Americans are very much "brand"  snobs.

Looked at mine - no name - time will tell about quality - but at P700 ($14.50) vs $400 can afford 25 + pairs of reading glasses.

Aces will also install new lens in old frames - before surgery got a pair for double vision - P1,500 - new frames would have been around P3,000

• Like 1
BossHog
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Think I've mentioned this to you before, but the optometrist in Banilad Town Centre does a good job with tri-focals.

• Like 2
to_dave007
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

Perez Optical is in Ayala right?

Where is Aces?

cookie47
Where is Aces?
Thanks dav,That was my next question.

to_dave007
2 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Thanks dav,That was my next question.

I need new glasses..  and from what @lamoesays.. I likely couldn't go too wrong at these places.

I've had bifocals for a few years, and can't say I really like them. Sick and tired of taking them off so often when I need to focus on something within reach.  These days my glasses sit on the table more then my head, but I put them on every time I want to drive.

I won't put the anti-glare coating on again..  as it (the coating itself) seems not to have withstood the stress of Cebu life as much as the glasses themselves.  Or perhaps I'll buy anti-glare glasses just for night time driving, which i do quite seldom. 

• Like 1
lamoe
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Where is Aces?

Yes - lower floor next to Metro food store

Perpetual Succor - not that easy to get to

image.thumb.png.42192d726bcf925fce63eff0e79779b8.png

image.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1