Davaoeno

For the last 3 years I've driven a Montero 4x4

Previously I had 2 Pajeros 4x4  and a Fortuner 4x4

The Montero I bought in Iloilo.  The Pajeros in Manila and the Fortuner in Davao. It pays to shop around.  I never buy new- I wait for someone else to take the big hit first! Hehe

IMG_4637.JPG

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 4
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dutch

• Swissrider

• Paddy

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember to keep your eyes out for one of these...

Received my car today, I am really happy with it. I will post better pictures some other time, it's already dark outside.

I'll bet you just pissed off a few neighbors whose wives are now asking when they're going to get one.......  Maybe put a car cover on it, for their sake.

Posted Images

Goetz1965

I bought my Mitsubishi Montera 4 years ago. I got no financing so the best way - and also the cheapest - was buying it cash - saving me a good 10% of interest I otherwise had paid!
You buy the car and then you wait until they get it delivered!
Had same 15 years ago in germany when I bought my Fiat and had to wait 6 month until Fiat had build, transported and delivered it to my german dealer.
Nowadays cars are build on order - so dont expect to get it out of the showroom.

I did the regular inspectiona here with Mitsubishi and they are quite cheap so I recommend that.
I just start with oilchange now be done locally to save a bit.

If you need a larger SUV to transport things buy a Montero sport - DONT BUY THE FORTUNER. Just check how the 3rd row folds in and you know why the Montero is better.
If you just need a SUV but want to save buy FORD Ecosport - but always buy DIESEL as it saves a lot of money.

My Montero runs under 10L/100km outside the city and under 15L/100Km in the city!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
cookie47
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I never buy new- I wait for someone else to take the big hit first! Hehe

Absolutely agree.Yeh we would all like a new car and i have had only one new vehicle in my entire life.. Mechanics seem to have fixer upper and got it cheap cars as working in dealerships you see the losses,But if you intend to keep it for 20 years it don't matter....

If you can come to grips with second hand(I say that with respect as some people can't) a low milage 12 months old vehicle is a good way to go.All of the big 5 (Toyota,Nissan,Mazda, Mitsubishi ,Isuzu ,,,,unless it has been beached, Abused,Or something silly happened should be fine.....Now..

Back to my timing belt on my fixer upper Suzuki ..

• Like 2
Paddy

41F76A3E-B3BC-43F2-9DC1-E43D5CF3B448.thumb.png.bdd637b61a3d5f8cbf9bab476cacaad5.png

Here’s the Civic outside the gate ready for the off recently. The picture shows several hazards...

The car is LOW. That front air dam under the bumper doesn’t like big height differences in concrete or un-levelled, un-compacted dirt in roadworks (we have LOTS of roadworks). I shudder to think how many times there has been a horrible scraping or thump sound from under the front of the car - no matter how slow I go or at what angle. Oh, and motorcyclists don’t seem to understand that I might need to take a piece of road at an angle. They’ll still pass me while I’m trying to negotiate the bumps!

The edge of the road. Some places have a ditch, other just dirt. The drop off from the edge varies. In some places it would be enough to ground something underneath if you happened to go off the concrete. 

The motorcyclist. You need good all round visibility since they will appear from anywhere and swerve around your car to anywhere. This Civic has a reversing camera for which I am very grateful. I had to go hard on the brakes this morning going round a bend, then get in reverse before the low loader coming the other way took off the left front corner with the side of his trailer. It’s more fun in the Philippines!😀 (The reversing camera showed me quickly how much room I had to back up back around the bend)  

The road outside our place is not too bad. However just before it joins the main highway it is a built up area with local stores. At that point, it’s not a road, it’s an obstacle course. People, motorcycles, tricycles, dogs, piles of building materials, nice little shelf units with product...all in the road.  The Civic is quite manoeuvrable - thank heavens! The worst so far was tricycles parked both sides of the road for a local festival cock fight. The Civic has motorized door mirrors. I can make the car about 3 inches thinner if I have to - and I’ve had to!😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
aabel

A true story about what can happen when driving on one of the main streets in Cebu Metro.

Ten years ago my friend and his wife was driving their brand new Toyota Avanza on A.S. Fortuna in heavy rain a dark evening. And the road was flooding.

"Ok, I just drive slowly and if the water is to deep, I just back off" - my friend said to his wife. But all in a sudden, the car was floating and they got no control.

As they were floating along when they made up their minds what to do, they decided to open doors. So they did and the car sunk down with dirty water in to the  cabin to the middle of the steering wheel. They had to dive into this dirty water to find handbag with purse and money and cellphones. They managed to get the Avanza towed to a guarded gasoline station and picked it up for transport to Toyota the next morning. The Toyota was the same as they bought it from, in Cebu City I think. And the Toyota should fix the Avanza for them.

One week later they visited the Toyota and they had not even opened the doors!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Daddle
On 4/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, samatm said:

... One thing that surprised me is that there is NO and I mean NO  bargaining.   Which really surprised me.

That is a relief....if true? Is that the general experience here?

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, Daddle said:

That is a relief....if true? Is that the general experience here?

Only for new cars.   But it's not always true- last year new  Monteros were discounted between 320K and 500K to get rid of overstock

• Like 3
Paddy
On 4/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, samatm said:

one thing that surprised me is that there is NO and I mean NO  bargaining.   Which really surprised me. 

Also true from my perspective - although I did get a couple of freebies.  Seat covers (basic) - I’m using them. Warning triangle and those sonar backup sensor thingies fitted (which I turned off). 

• Like 2
Swissrider
Also true from my perspective - although I did get a couple of freebies.  Seat covers (basic) - I’m using them. Warning triangle and those sonar backup sensor thingies fitted (which I turned off). 

Same here. No discount. When I bought my Honda scooter the salesman tried to convince me to take a loan instead of paying cash. For obvious reasons. At these lending rates it is of course a good business for the banks. Also the salesman gets a small provision. So all I got was a plastic drinking bottle with a Honda logo..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 2
BossHog
Just now, Swissrider said:

Same here. No discount. When I bought my Honda scooter the salesman tried to convince me to take a loan instead of paying cash. For obvious reasons. At these lending rates it is of course a good business for the banks.

So true The motorcycle dealerships here operate on the paradigm of a pawnshop. That's where the profit is. Counter-intuitively, they are disappointed when you want to pay cash.

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Dafey

I always get a discount when I pay cash...or I won't buy!

44 minutes ago, Swissrider said:

So all I got was a plastic drinking bottle with a Honda logo.

Did you get a cup holder for it?

• Like 3
Swissrider
I always get a discount when I pay cash...or I won't buy!
Did you get a cup holder for it?
he he, no. I had to buy it separately.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 4
cookie47

No discount when buying a new car.

Haa, Where's my wife....

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Dutch
Posted (edited)

Ended up buying a Mazda CX-30 AWD AT today, should arrive next week as it has to be shipped from Manila, they only had FWD in stock here in Cebu, will post pictures when I get it.

Total just over 2.1m including all risk insurance (theft, acts of nature, own fault etc).

Thanks for all the advice, I would've probably not even given a crossover a fair chance and gone for the Mazda 3.

Handling and size wise the CX-30 is practically identical to the 3, it just has a higher ride height and way better ground clearance, not a proper SUV but it should be able to handle most situations here in Cebu.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 6
Paddy
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Handling and size wise the CX-30 is practically identical to the 3, it just has a higher ride height and way better ground clearance, not a proper SUV but it should be able to handle most situations here in Cebu

Agree. The CX 30 should provide the same service as the 3 without some of the potential hassles. Enjoy!

(My car in Canada in the 6-9 years ago timeframe was a Mazda 3. I would have got another one but they introduced the fixed sticky up ICE screen on top of the dash and I just didn’t like it)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1