Dutch

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first car here, most likely going to go with new, I feel like I would prefer having a dealership look after the car in terms of maintenance, also having a dealership taking care of all the paperwork (including insurance) seems like a big advantage, as I have no idea how to navigate the system over here.

I currently have my eyes on a sedan, mazda 3, but I was wondering if some people could maybe give their opinion on things.
It will mainly be an every day car, however I do want to take longer trips (including by ferry).
Going for a sedan is still something I am not that sure about because of the roads here.
Pickup trucks I would prefer not to get, I have never driven a pickup but I feel like handling will be an issue, there's almost no weight in the back.
The pickup bed would also go completely unused 99% of the time.
Originally I wanted to go with an SUV because of the roads and speedbumps, but I have never driven any big cars, and I wonder how practical it really is to navigate such big machines in busy traffic and overcrowded parking lots.

I have driven here, and it honestly didn't seem too bad in a sedan, but it is just a first impression at this point, I haven't driven here long term.
Maybe some other members can chime in on this?
Traffic itself is total chaos though, nothing like the west...

Also, if anyone has experience buying a new car here, I wonder how payment works with dealerships here, do they take wire transfer, and are they open to accepting USD or EUR instead of PHP?

So yea in short, I am looking to buy a car, and would appreciate to read experiences with buying from a dealership here, and well, I am also looking for advice on what type of car to get.
I am most likely going to buy the car at the end of this week/early next week.

Edited by Dutch
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dutch

• Paddy

• Swissrider

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember to keep your eyes out for one of these...

Received my car today, I am really happy with it. I will post better pictures some other time, it's already dark outside.

Ended up buying a Mazda CX-30 AWD AT today, should arrive next week as it has to be shipped from Manila, they only had FWD in stock here in Cebu, will post pictures when I get it. Total just over

Posted Images

samatm

Hey Dutch... Ya buying from a dealership will make it easy..   I bought a Toyota.. and it was  easy.  one thing that surprised me is that there is NO and I mean NO  bargaining.   Which really surprised me.     Basically you get your own financing.. and the dealership might provide you with a friendly bank..that will walk you through the steps.   Everything is conducted in PESOS.    but I'm sure you could send USD to the bank for conversion etc..   Anyway.  easy peasy. 

I would go with a smaller SUV.. Like say a Toyota Innova.   I got a  Forturner.  and I needed the size for my business .. but if you dont need so much room go for a  smaller suv .. you will appreciate the space over a sedan.. there will always be a time where you need more than 5 pax or a need for hauling stuff.  I also like to sit a little higher in the saddle  and to navigate Cebu's flooded roadways.  etc.. 

Good luck.  Keep us updated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Dutch
Just now, samatm said:

Hey Dutch... Ya buying from a dealership will make it easy..   I bought a Toyota.. and it was  easy.  one thing that surprised me is that there is NO and I mean NO  bargaining.   Which really surprised me.     Basically you get your own financing.. and the dealership might provide you with a friendly bank..that will walk you through the steps.   Everything is conducted in PESOS.    but I'm sure you could send USD to the bank for conversion etc..   Anyway.  easy peasy. 

I would go with a smaller SUV.. Like say a Toyota Innova.   I got a  Forturner.  and I needed the size for my business .. but if you dont need so much room go for a  smaller suv .. you will appreciate the space over a sedan.. there will always be a time where you need more than 5 pax or a need for hauling stuff.  I also like to sit a little higher in the saddle  and to navigate Cebu's flooded roadways.  etc.. 

Good luck.  Keep us updated.

Actually just came back, dealerships had no problem with USD, they were more than happy to make an invoice in dollars and accept USD wire transfers.

Drove mazda 3 sedan today, great car, only problem was they only have the 1.5L in stock, 2.0L coming "sometime in may".

I don't care that much about the extra power, but the 2 liter model comes with so many upgrades.

It seems like actual upgrades are not really a thing here, they got 2-3 trims and color, that's all there is for you to chose.

So I'm still looking right now, want to test drive some smaller suvs/crossovers, maybe toyota crossover like the corolla cross or rav4, they seem interesting.

I will probably decide this weekend, going to some more dealerships thursday.

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Actually just came back, dealerships had no problem with USD, they were more than happy to make an invoice in dollars and accept USD wire transfers.

Drove mazda 3 sedan today, great car, only problem was they only have the 1.5L in stock, 2.0L coming "sometime in may".

I don't care that much about the extra power, but the 2 liter model comes with so many upgrades.

It seems like actual upgrades are not really a thing here, they got 2-3 trims and color, that's all there is for you to chose.

So I'm still looking right now, want to test drive some smaller suvs/crossovers, maybe toyota crossover like the corolla cross or rav4, they seem interesting.

I will probably decide this weekend, going to some more dealerships thursday.

So you will start test driving all these cars on Thursday and decide this weekend.  Sounds like a very busy week! 

Dutch
21 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

So you will start test driving all these cars on Thursday and decide this weekend.  Sounds like a very busy week! 

Already drove some, currently only have 3 more cars that I want to check out.

Was already leaning heavily towards mazda, although a yota or mitsu are also options.

American, korean and chinese brands are already off the list, so that doesn't leave  that many brands here. European imports are out of my budget, and also not worth the premium and lack of proper access to parts.

Swissrider
Hi,
I am looking to buy my first car here, most likely going to go with new, I feel like I would prefer having a dealership look after the car in terms of maintenance, also having a dealership taking care of all the paperwork (including insurance) seems like a big advantage, as I have no idea how to navigate the system over here.
I currently have my eyes on a sedan, mazda 3, but I was wondering if some people could maybe give their opinion on things.
It will mainly be an every day car, however I do want to take longer trips (including by ferry).
Going for a sedan is still something I am not that sure about because of the roads here.
Pickup trucks I would prefer not to get, I have never driven a pickup but I feel like handling will be an issue, there's almost no weight in the back.
The pickup bed would also go completely unused 99% of the time.
Originally I wanted to go with an SUV because of the roads and speedbumps, but I have never driven any big cars, and I wonder how practical it really is to navigate such big machines in busy traffic and overcrowded parking lots.
I have driven here, and it honestly didn't seem too bad in a sedan, but it is just a first impression at this point, I haven't driven here long term.
Maybe some other members can chime in on this?
Traffic itself is total chaos though, nothing like the west...
Also, if anyone has experience buying a new car here, I wonder how payment works with dealerships here, do they take wire transfer, and are they open to accepting USD or EUR instead of PHP?
So yea in short, I am looking to buy a car, and would appreciate to read experiences with buying from a dealership here, and well, I am also looking for advice on what type of car to get.
I am most likely going to buy the car at the end of this week/early next week.
Have a look (if possible) at the new 2021 Isuzu mu-X midsize 7-seater SUV. Very good and long lasting reliable cars. Especially their diesel engines are well known for good quality. But I know, not easy to decide.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
Mangoshake

Personally with the Cebu traffic i would go for an Diesel automatic.

• Like 1
to_dave007
5 hours ago, Swissrider said:

Have a look (if possible) at the new 2021 Isuzu mu-X midsize 7-seater SUV. Very good and long lasting reliable cars. Especially their diesel engines are well known for good quality. But I know, not easy to decide.

I've had 2003 Isuzu diesel crosswind for last 6 years..  and  after fixing a bit of body work this year I full expect to get another 5 years from it..  until it's 23 years old.  Getting parts and repair no issue.

• Like 2
fivestarph
22 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

I've had 2003 Isuzu diesel crosswind for last 6 years..  and  after fixing a bit of body work this year I full expect to get another 5 years from it..  until it's 23 years old.  Getting parts and repair no issue.

I have a Mitsubishi Adventure (Gasoline Engine) which I purchased in September 2000 and apart from a couple of dents and squeaks is still giving sterling service.

I did Casa service until 100,000km but now have a local guy change oil, brake pads etc.

• Like 2
to_dave007
7 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

I have a Mitsubishi Adventure (Gasoline Engine) which I purchased in September 2000 and apart from a couple of dents and squeaks is still giving sterling service.

I did Casa service until 100,000km but now have a local guy change oil, brake pads etc.

For the OP..  I understand that most of his driving will be in the city..  but if he expects to go out of the city much..  i like the higher road clearance of the SUV..  the cost/km of the diesel.. and enough power to drive roads like transcentral without overly stressing the vehicle. 

• Like 4
smokey

Well small crossover had many cars and trucks wait till it rains hard here and see the fun in driving a car     warning if the taxi dont use the flooded road there is a reason  as to brand theses days its not easy to tell who built the car by brand 

• Like 2
Paddy

Here in Masbate, I drive a Honda Civic. It’s the sort of car I prefer - a small(ish) sedan - based on my European and North American driving history. it’s also reasonably equivalent to the Mazda 3. 
It’s also much too low for Masbate roads and dirt tracks and sundry road height discontinuities at intersections, road works and odd WTF sort of places. If there is a kerb here, it’s also a drain and therefore quite high and so can make life tricky opening doors - especially if the road is not level. 
The roads in Cebu “might” be better. I would recommend considering a smaller SUV if your budget will stand it. The Honda CRV would be better here. The Honda BRV (a small 7 seater) is also higher than the Civic. 
Enjoy your upcoming purchase - it’s an adventure!

PS - There are NO dealerships in Masbate. Fortunately I found an auto shop with some knowledgeable guys. If they had a tree, they’d qualify as shade tree mechanics 😀

• Like 3
aabel

What counts for me after driving in PH for 15 years is:

1. High clearance from road. This because of flooding and driving on stony roads. You will meet them.

2. High driver position. One have to see all this motors rooming around.

3. Automatic. The speed is normally between 0 - 20 km/h. More zero then 20 km/h. If you are to drive much kms a year, some 15,000 kms/year or more, diesel is to prefer. Small distance a year, gasoline is to prefer.

In 2007 I bought a brand new Mitsubishi Fuzion, similar to Toyota Innova, 8-seater, gasoline automatic. I still have it, mileage is some 75,000 kms. On this 14 years it makes 5,000 kms/year or so. Services and 3 times anti rust treatments. It has been super, but I am goin to sell it now.

image.png.60f2493702b3e08bf66bcad15eea1ced.png

• Like 5
arentol

After 15 yrs driving here, I've owned the following new cars:

- Hyundai Santa Fe: Good performance, brakes kept wearing out. No major complaints. 

- Subaru Forester: Good car, lots of electronics, battery kept dying. 

- VW Jetta: Great engine, strong body, but too low to ground. Now all Philippine-sold VWs are made in China, so perhaps good to avoid. 

- Toyota Yaris: Typical Toyota, nothing fancy, amazingly had higher ground clearance than the Jetta.

Hope this helps someone. 

Aren

• Like 2
cookie47

Hi, Not wanting to write war and peace regarding a vehicle purchase, however as most posters eluded to you need a vehicle that has slightly higher for vision AND IS slightly  higher off the ground .Now IF your just going to cruise along the "better" roads of Cebu a Mazda 3 MAY be fine.But even where I live (Consolacion) once you leave the main highway the roads are atrocious. Even getting into some commercial premises to buy something sometimes requires navigating gutters and drains that are not small ,low car friendly.see (@paddy).. post..... All 4 Japanese makes are virtually head to head now.Its probably true you don't need a 4wd for your daily needs so something like an Inova ( OR something similar) is a good compromise.(you will ALWAYS need to move something so you won't regret it.)

I actually waited to Post as I have been in the motor trade (mechanic)all my working life (now retired) and this question is NOT easy,,, it's very personal..Good luck.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1