Prince Philip, husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, dies at 99

SkyMan
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Maybe his comments regarding Australian aboriginal Spear throwing was a genuine question..and not a Gaff..or.. Fopar....

If he/they were wearing ancestral garb and maybe after a native dance or something but...

On 4/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, to_dave007 said:

“Do you still throw spears at each other?” (in Australia in 2002, talking to a successful Indigenous Australian entrepreneur)

Sounds like he was wearing a suit.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

49782.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I can only imagine the response when Prince Andrew dies.

I think it’s fair to say he touched more people than Prince Philip... :rolleyes:

• Haha 3
cookie47

From ABC NEWS. Australia......

Do you still throw spears at each other?"

It is the now-infamous question that gaffe-prone Prince Philip asked Indigenous performers during a royal visit to far north Queensland with the Queen in 2002.

The remark sent heads shaking and jaws dropping around the country, but now one of the performers wants the ageing Duke of Edinburgh to know he did not think it was racist.

"[Prince Philip and the Queen] were coming down the [cable car] and we were putting on a special performance," Warren Clements recalled.

"We had royal fever so we said 'Let's go out the back and throw some boomerangs and spears and hopefully we'll get a glimpse of them as they come down'.

"They waved and we were showing off. I think Prince Philip took that in and that's why he said it.

"He's been taken out of context."

Mr Clements still vividly remembers the moment he met the royals.

"When I shook his hand, there was so much energy … you don't build fellas like that these days. He was tough as nails," he said.

"From that moment I had a deep respect for him.

"People should not judge someone unless they have met them and, most importantly, do research before they start creating media sensationalis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Soupeod
12 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I don't remember him calling them spades, but he did say: "Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

I think they still do, no?

9 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Maybe his comments regarding Australian aboriginal Spear throwing was a genuine question..and not a Gaff..or.. Fopar....

He was a well travelled man and had been to Africa on a number of occasions.He may have had good reason to ask bearing in mind that a small percentage of  African tribe's STILL live in a traditional way.

Link below..

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/meet-the-naked-tribes-of-nigeria-where-people-wear-leaves-and-little-to-nothing/w3ttqxv

Ah thanks cookie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1