Prince Philip, husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, dies at 99

SkyMan

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prince-philip-husband-britain-s-queen-elizabeth-ii-dies-99-n1258159

Prince Philip, husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, dies at 99

In his active years, Philip helped set a new course for the monarchy under a young queen, championing Britain itself.

April 9, 2021, 7:02 PM +08 / Updated April 9, 2021, 9:08 PM +08

By Rachel Elbaum

LONDON — Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband and the longest-serving consort of any British monarch, has died at age 99.

A statement posted on the royal family's website Friday morning said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."

His death was met with a flood of tributes from across Britain and the world. In accordance with tradition, a framed notice containing the news was also placed on the railings outside Buckingham Palace.

Much more at the link.

171799140_10223916974725238_182241349606

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
fred42

Rest In Peace Sir. Thank you for your service and loyal support to her majesty the Queen.

• Like 2
cookie47

R.I.P. A character from an era we won't see again.

I can remember the compulsory school bus trip to some event, waiving my flag.

• Like 2
to_dave007

Here are some of Philip’s famous phrases:

“What do you gargle with, pebbles?” (speaking to the singer Tom Jones after the 1969 Royal Variety Performance)

“I declare this thing open, whatever it is.” (on a visit to Canada in 1969)

“Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed.” (during the 1981 recession)

“If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.” (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

“It looks like a tart’s bedroom.” (on seeing plans for the Duke and Duchess of York’s house at Sunninghill Park in 1988)

“Yak, yak, yak; come on, get a move on.” (shouted from the deck of Britannia in Belize in 1994 to the Queen, who was chatting to her hosts on the quayside)

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?” (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout)

“Bloody silly fool!” (in 1997, referring to a Cambridge University car park attendant who did not recognise him)

“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian.” (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999)

“Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf.” (to young deaf people in Cardiff, in 1999, referring to a school’s steel band)

“They must be out of their minds.” (in the Solomon Islands, in 1982, when he was told that the annual population growth was 5%)
Prince Philip and the Queen at her coronation

(Prince Philip supposedly asked the Queen at her coronation: ‘Where did you get that hat?’ Photograph: Rex/Shutterstock

“If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.” (to British students in China, during the 1986 state visit)

“You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.” (to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, in 1993)

“I wish he’d turn the microphone off.” (muttered at the Royal Variety Performance as he watched Sir Elton John perform in 2001)

“Do you still throw spears at each other?” (in Australia in 2002, talking to a successful Indigenous Australian entrepreneur)

“You look like a suicide bomber.” (to a young female officer wearing a bullet-proof vest on Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, in 2002)

“There’s a lot of your family in tonight.” (after looking at the name badge of the businessman Atul Patel at a palace reception for British Indians in 2009)

“Do you have a pair of knickers made out of this?” (pointing to some tartan, to the Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie at a papal reception in Edinburgh in 2010)

“I hope he breaks his bloody neck.” (when a photographer covering a royal visit to India fell out of a tree)

“If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she’s not interested.” (on the Princess Royal)

“When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.” (on marriage)

“Where did you get that hat?” (supposedly to the Queen at her coronation)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/04/prince-philip-most-famous-comments-and-clangers

• Like 5
SkyMan
48 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

“I declare this thing open, whatever it is.” (on a visit to Canada in 1969)

Probably my attitude after my 5000th dedication of something and a good way to not be asked for any more.

• Like 1
cookie47
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Here are some of Philip’s famous phrases:

A man with a sense of humour/ Humor.... 

• Like 1
mikewright

- “You’re too fat to be an astronaut.” (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).

• Sad 2
SkyMan
20 hours ago, mikewright said:

- “You’re too fat to be an astronaut.” (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).

Ok, so he wasn't the Duke of Tact but you never know when a statement like this might inspire the kid to prove him wrong.  

• Like 2
rfm010
On 4/11/2021 at 12:36 AM, SkyMan said:

... you never know when a statement like this might inspire the kid to prove him wrong.  

Or cause the kid to give up on his dreams and become a soccer player for west ham.  The brits may have lost their very own flash gordon on the turn of an unkind word.

• Like 2
BossHog
20 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, so he wasn't the Duke of Tact but you never know when a statement like this might inspire the kid to prove him wrong.  

A pat on the head and a consoling "not to worry lad, you'll be weightless in space" may have been more encouraging.

For those who think the late Prince Philip went overboard in his curt and frank remarks just remember that his grandson, the new 'prince of woke' in California, used to dress up in Nazi uniforms and give the Heil Hitler salute at fancy-dress parties. 

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4
cookie47

Well..

They (The Queen and Duke) had some positives..
As a 10 year old getting a bus trip and even standing in the rain to see them (for about 20 second's) was much better than a math class with a grumpy old teacher .....

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
SkyMan
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

A pat on the head and a consoling "not to worry lad, you'll be weightless in space" may have been more encouraging.

I was thinking something more like, "Well, make sure you eat lots of veggies so you'll be strong and fit for the program."

(You know, the TV program where you watch the healthy people go into space.  Hahaha  j/k)

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Fuck it- I say call a spade a spade. This little lard ass has probably been told by his mom for years that it's just " baby fat".   The Prince did him a huge favor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
A_Simple_Man
19 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

feck it- I say call a spade a spade.

I don't remember him calling them spades, but he did say: "Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

• Haha 4
cookie47

Maybe his comments regarding Australian aboriginal Spear throwing was a genuine question..and not a Gaff..or.. Fopar....

He was a well travelled man and had been to Africa on a number of occasions.He may have had good reason to ask bearing in mind that a small percentage of  African tribe's STILL live in a traditional way.

Link below..

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/meet-the-naked-tribes-of-nigeria-where-people-wear-leaves-and-little-to-nothing/w3ttqxv