Only 2 x 6 month extension

Dutch

Not sure if it is news to the people here, but it sure was news to me.
I was at immigration today to extend my visa (Jmall), when trying to extend another 6 months, it turned out not to be possible.
They told me that you can no longer extend for 6 months if you have already extended 6 months twice, so after your first 2 long term extensions, you will have to keep extending every 2 months.
Must be annoying if you live far away from immigration...

lamoe

If at all possible J Mall is the last place anyone would want to go to far anything visa related. Last Sept got hit with late fine due to lockdown . Mactan "no fine sir"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Not sure if it is news to the people here, but it sure was news to me.
I was at immigration today to extend my visa (Jmall), when trying to extend another 6 months, it turned out not to be possible.
They told me that you can no longer extend for 6 months if you have already extended 6 months twice, so after your first 2 long term extensions, you will have to keep extending every 2 months.
Must be annoying if you live far away from immigration...

JMall loves to make up their own rules for those 6 months extensions.  Sometimes it's you can only have 2 and sometimes it's you have to be a senior.  If you can't get to Mactan it might be worth going to an agent instead.

• Like 1
to_dave007

Was reported here.. earlier this year but can't remember what thread.. that even at Mactan they were no longer giving 6 months extensions.  Since then I heard one anecdote about 1 guy who was told NO to 6 months at Mactan..  and who got 6 months ONLY because of some significant reason..  which I can't remember.

My old (85 this year) friend and I will go to Mactan later this month and we are both trying for 6 months.  I am HOPING that he gets his 6 months because of the distance (6 hours round trip), and his age, and his clearly visible frail condition.  And I am hoping i get my 6 month extension because of the distance and because I am senior and PWD..  with a cane.

Will report here what happens.

And for @Dutchmy friend and I each have 1.. but not 2..  6 months extensions behind us..  so it may not help you with your issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Fresh
9 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

6 months ONLY because of some significant reason..  which I can't remember.

Only three reasons they may make an exception: old age, disability, or living really far from a BI office. 

liquido

I have a  single friend that is in good health around 76 ..He is on a tourist visa with his 3 year stay coming due soon..Will he have any chance of getting any kind of extension or should he now think about securing a ticket back to the USA? 

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1
hyaku
On 4/8/2021 at 6:24 AM, to_dave007 said:

Was reported here.. earlier this year but can't remember what thread.. that even at Mactan they were no longer giving 6 months extensions.  Since then I heard one anecdote about 1 guy who was told NO to 6 months at Mactan..  and who got 6 months ONLY because of some significant reason..  which I can't remember.

My old (85 this year) friend and I will go to Mactan later this month and we are both trying for 6 months.  I am HOPING that he gets his 6 months because of the distance (6 hours round trip), and his age, and his clearly visible frail condition.  And I am hoping i get my 6 month extension because of the distance and because I am senior and PWD..  with a cane.

Will report here what happens.

And for @Dutchmy friend and I each have 1.. but not 2..  6 months extensions behind us..  so it may not help you with your issue.

Get an agent/courier. You really don't have to make that trip. Six or two months all can be done by transferring the money to your agent with the PC/smartphone in seconds.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
8 hours ago, liquido said:

I have a  single friend that is in good health around 76 ..He is on a tourist visa with his 3 year stay coming due soon..Will he have any chance of getting any kind of extension or should he now think about securing a ticket back to the USA? 

My advice to him is to get out of dodge at his first chance. Restrictions have eased up on leaving but still suck to reenter. Knowing how they make up rules as they go I wouldn't trust that they'd be forgiving about overstaying, at this point.

• Like 3
Fresh
12 hours ago, liquido said:

Good question, ask the local BI

• Like 1
stuckoutside
On 4/7/2021 at 9:18 AM, lamoe said:

If at all possible J Mall is the last place anyone would want to go to far anything visa related. Last Sept got hit with late fine due to lockdown . Mactan "no fine sir"

Ditto this. Last summer, Jmall was giving out fines one month after the end of Cebu City's ECQ, even though the BI documents said that there should be no fines until the end of GCQ and people were not charged fines (only the regular fees) at the airport when flying out of the country.

• Like 1
lamoe

Mactan today - correct about the no 6 months in Cebu  only 1 & 2 (1 = 2,330 / 2 = 2,830) asked about Bohol - he wasn't sure. Tata to have family check for us.

Thought I had until June1 - nope March 1 - got 2 month extension (to May 1) with no fine.

At 9:30 took 50 min to get there (old bridge) - 10 min to get extension - 25 min home (new bridge)

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1